Li (Ruidong) Style Taijiquan in the Midwest?

Request a teacher near you. Any school opening notices are also posted here.

Li (Ruidong) Style Taijiquan in the Midwest?

Postby Ian C. Kuzushi on Mon May 18, 2020 7:59 pm

Does anybody know of any Li style teachers or groups in Chicago, IL, or the Midwest? Are there any in the states?

Thanks, Ian C
文武両道。

Lord Li requires one hundred gold coins per day!
Ian C. Kuzushi
Great Old One

Re: Li (Ruidong) Style Taijiquan in the Midwest?

Postby edededed on Mon Jun 01, 2020 12:55 am

Rare style!

There is a guy in Portland: http://www.flyingtortoise.org/

I don't think I've heard of anyone who teaches Li style primarily.
edededed
Great Old One

Postby yeniseri on Mon Sep 28, 2020 12:10 pm

There are none!
My former teacher used to be the only one in the Chicago area but he has since left the area and returned to China (I believe).

The style is rare enough that few have knowledge of it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vzseqFxhdjc

Li Ruidong and Wang Lanting were said to be two of the best taijiquan people of their day. THough they have few practitioners, there appears to be a sound level of training elelemtns that other non chen styles do not have. This is not to say better or worse but many appear to be traditional (jibengong) and were 'retained" in the these styles where in others they were left out for 'modern exercise practice" per the rules of fitness and movement.
When fascism comes to US America, It will be wrapped in the US flag and waving a cross. An astute patriot
yeniseri
Wuji

Postby vietle87 on Sun Nov 08, 2020 8:37 pm

I don't do Li style Taiji but I do practice with two guys in Oak Park. Would you be willing to meet up?
vietle87
Anjing

Postby Ian C. Kuzushi on Sun Nov 08, 2020 10:58 pm

Thanks all for the comments.

Veitle87, yes, once Covid chills the ef out or I get a vaccine I would be happy to meet up. So, might be a while, but I should be bouncing between Chicago and Japan for the next four years or so. Hopefully this summer will work. I'm in Hyde Park.
文武両道。

Ian C. Kuzushi
Great Old One

Postby Ian C. Kuzushi on Sun Nov 08, 2020 11:01 pm

yeniseri wrote:There are none!
My former teacher used to be the only one in the Chicago area but he has since left the area and returned to China (I believe).

The style is rare enough that few have knowledge of it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vzseqFxhdjc

Li Ruidong and Wang Lanting were said to be two of the best taijiquan people of their day. THough they have few practitioners, there appears to be a sound level of training elelemtns that other non chen styles do not have. This is not to say better or worse but many appear to be traditional (jibengong) and were 'retained" in the these styles where in others they were left out for 'modern exercise practice" per the rules of fitness and movement.

Yup, haven't really liked most of the taijiquan I have seen (even from some really good people) compared to what I was doing before my teacher passed. So, was hoping to find it in the big city. There is a small chance I will end up back in Portland, so I'll check out the fellow Ed posted about.

How about Japan? Anyone teaching it in Japan? Moving to China is not in the cards for me.
文武両道。

Ian C. Kuzushi
Great Old One

Return to Request a Teacher