Guo Yunsheng Xingyi and Hong Yixiang

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Re: Guo Yunsheng Xingyi and Hong Yixiang

Postby Trick on Sun Sep 27, 2020 1:12 am

wayne hansen wrote:Those two clips are more beng than Pi in my oppinion
But That’s just so that beng in practice has all the same “mind work” as Pi has, just a little more “straightened out” kind of. On a certain level the outer obvious difference becomes an inner obvious sameness, then some keep the obvious outer postures, some smooth dem out....
Trick

Postby Overlord on Sun Sep 27, 2020 2:14 am

Graham
This is what I was told.
Hong was representing Zhang to Japan sometimes 60s?.
After Hong's Japan visit, Zhang taught him a move that is a trade mark in Hebei Xingyi - a subtle change in Pi.
I dont know if it is puglistically significant, but it's like a trade mark nontheless.
You can comment what ever you like, but what is, IS.

Wayne,
Yes, he was indeed.
Overlord

Postby nicklinjm on Sun Sep 27, 2020 6:02 pm

@Overlord, tbh I am quite tired of ppl coming to discussion boards but not discussing. If you see something special in your vid, just say it. I don't practice Hebei xyq (Shanxi branch), don't see any particular difference between, say, Hong's opening and normal Shang style opening.
nicklinjm
Wuji

Postby Overlord on Sun Sep 27, 2020 7:51 pm

nicklinjm wrote:@Overlord, tbh I am quite tired of ppl coming to discussion boards but not discussing. If you see something special in your vid, just say it. I don't practice Hebei xyq (Shanxi branch), don't see any particular difference between, say, Hong's opening and normal Shang style opening.

I guess you could be right, there is probably nothing special about it.
The two clips you posted illustrated more power.
Cheers.
Overlord

Postby edededed on Sun Sep 27, 2020 10:14 pm

Hmm - I can't discern much, but the OP's video seems to show:
- diagonal shoulders that seems typical of Hong's xingyi?
- some movements (rotating fists, etc.) more explicit than usual
- ending to gongbu or pseudo-gongbu
edededed
Great Old One

Postby Trick on Mon Sep 28, 2020 12:59 am

Overlord wrote:Hong was representing Zhang to Japan sometimes 60s?.
After Hong's Japan visit, Zhang taught him a move that is a trade mark in Hebei Xingyi - a subtle change in Pi.

I know about nothing about Hong’s XYQ and his persona....Why did he go to Japan, was it to teach? Why was he taught “indoor” stuff by his teacher after he came back from Japan ? Was he inspired by Karatekas/Budokas in Japan to pick up stuff from them(Gi/belts and maybe methods)?
Trick

Postby Overlord on Mon Sep 28, 2020 1:21 am

Trick wrote:
Overlord wrote:Hong was representing Zhang to Japan sometimes 60s?.

I know about nothing about Hong’s XYQ and his persona....Why did he go to Japan, was it to teach? Why was he taught “indoor” stuff by his teacher after he came back from Japan ? Was he inspired by Karatekas/Budokas in Japan to pick up stuff from them(Gi/belts and maybe methods)?

Sorry Trick,
I think “indoor” is probably a bit of exaggeration.
It’s probably like a signature to tell if the person is in the inner circle.
Having say that, it’s said the Xingyi has no move that is redundant.
But what do I know. I can’t even tell if one has power.
Overlord

Postby C.J.W. on Mon Sep 28, 2020 5:37 am

This sort of things are quite common in TCMA circles.

I was told that back in the days in Taiwan, Fujian White Crane teachers would often teach different versions of Sanchin to different students. If you are one of those unlucky ones who got the "diluted" versions with key elements missing, chances are you will never progress beyond a certain point no matter how hard you train.

I've also heard from old-timers that some teachers would even show the wrong techniques or movements on purpose to students whom they felt were going astray or becoming disloyal.
Last edited by C.J.W. on Mon Sep 28, 2020 7:41 am, edited 3 times in total.
C.J.W.
Wuji

Postby lineofintent on Mon Sep 28, 2020 9:56 am

If you are still dribbling blood into your cornflakes three days after a light tap, chances are it was inner door.
lineofintent
Wuji

Postby Bhassler on Mon Sep 28, 2020 10:52 am

lineofintent wrote:If you are still dribbling blood into your cornflakes three days after a light tap, chances are it was inner door.

Well, sure... but why would I want to pee in my own corn flakes?
Bhassler
Great Old One

Postby Overlord on Mon Sep 28, 2020 5:20 pm

Bhassler wrote:
lineofintent wrote:If you are still dribbling blood into your cornflakes three days after a light tap, chances are it was inner door.

Well, sure... but why would I want to pee in my own corn flakes?

Liner,
You are right.
In the grand scheme of things, ultimately it doesn’t matter.
We are all pursuing for the betterment of ourselves.
Overlord

Postby Trick on Mon Sep 28, 2020 11:49 pm

Dribblingblood for three days and still calmly having breakfast, no snowflake there. That guy will come back, but not with a light tap on the “masters” door....
Trick

Postby Overlord on Tue Sep 29, 2020 6:00 am

Trick wrote:

Dribblingblood for three days and still calmly having breakfast, no snowflake there. That guy will come back, but not with a light tap on the “masters” door....

Trick

It’s ok. The point of this clip is to address the link btw Hong Yixiang ‘s Xinyi and Guo Yunsheng lineage.
How other taken it is really not my concern.
Overlord

Postby lineofintent on Tue Sep 29, 2020 9:31 am

Overlord you are right, there are ways to see who received what from the master, trademark details and other things.

Those with eyes to see will see, others may laugh at the very notion of 'inner door' or 'secrets'.

Hong Yixiang was clearly a serious Neijia fighter, the fact that Luo and Su were graduates of his school already says much.
lineofintent
Wuji

Postby wayne hansen on Tue Sep 29, 2020 11:12 am

Don't forget the Shen Lung Tang Shou Tao lineage of Hsu Hong Chi which I am a proud recipient of
It was Hsu who pointed out to me how a teacher can pass on his art to one student in a class and not others
He grabbed my arm at wrist and elbow and did a roll back motion
He said this is for most students
He then regrabbed it drilling into two points which caused great pain
Telling me see one gets the secret one doesn't
He said you are your teachers favourite go and train to respect that and you will be rewarded by getting special knowledge
The fact I mentioned earlier about the clips being more wood than metal was not about the internal that doesn't waver and goes without saying
It is about external structure and application
If they have the same energy there is no need for 5 just have 4
If it is about the internal don't have 5 this is Yi chuan
Don't put power into the form let it naturally arise from the form
wayne hansen
Wuji

PreviousNext

Return to Video Links