Shanxi Hongdong Tongbeiquan 山西洪洞通背拳

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Shanxi Hongdong Tongbeiquan 山西洪洞通背拳

Postby Yeung on Tue Sep 29, 2020 3:33 am

There are interesting facts about the origin of Chen Style Taijiquan closely related to Shanxihongdong Tongbeiquan. The Chens family moved to Henan from Shanxi, and a member of the Chens family move back to Shanxi Hongdong and taught the locals Tongbeiquan around 1770 AD. The following links are part 1 and 2 of a video posted by a Japanese:

山西洪洞通背拳 その1(17:01)

山西洪洞通背拳 その2(4.44)

The performer is Li Guo Suo (1950-), who published a book on Shanxi Hongdong Tongbeiquan in 2016.
Yeung
Wuji

Re: Shanxi Hongdong Tongbeiquan 山西洪洞通背拳

Postby yeniseri on Fri Oct 02, 2020 6:15 am

I was searching Baidu a few years ago and came across a Tongbeiquan form that approximated Chenshtaijiquan and was surprised since most of the form, althought approximating a 'fistic Shaoilquan" ??? ;D expression (meaning faster pace with obvious punching and hitting criteria), was for all purposes Chen style family system
When fascism comes to US America, It will be wrapped in the US flag and waving a cross. An astute patriot
yeniseri
Wuji

Postby MaartenSFS on Fri Oct 02, 2020 6:40 am

Why is it that almost no one that does Tongbeiquan can generate the power for which the art is known???
I've seen more Piguaquan masters that can.
MaartenSFS
Wuji

Postby Trick on Fri Oct 02, 2020 7:40 am

MaartenSFS wrote:Why is it that almost no one that does Tongbeiquan can generate the power for which the art is known???
I've seen more Piguaquan masters that can.

all the tongbei guys i know in dalian can generate that "tongbei power".....the vids in the OP that i cant see but i guess ive seen elsewhere is Chen taijiquan with some twist, its not the tongbeiguan ive experienced which is wuxing tongbeiquan.....although i should add, my yang taijiquan teacher in dalian who also is my wuxing tongbeiquan teacher, mentioned that taijiquan os also a form of tongbeiquan.....which one will come to understand after som time...however the methods of wuxing tongbeiqual are more quickly mastered
Last edited by Trick on Fri Oct 02, 2020 7:46 am, edited 4 times in total.
Trick

Postby MaartenSFS on Fri Oct 02, 2020 9:22 am

From what I've experienced and learned, if your arms aren't like wrecking balls that have to be avoided at all costs then it isn't Tongbeiquan. It's not just waving your arms around. It's a scary power that, like you say, isn't even that difficult to learn. To me, there is no high or low level. Either you have that power or you don't. After you have it you also need to be able to actually hit someone with it as well...
MaartenSFS
Wuji

Postby Yeung on Fri Oct 02, 2020 11:50 am

From https://new.qq.com/omn/20200510/20200510A05TEJ00.html

The founder of Wuxingtongbeiquan 五行通臂拳 is Zhang Ce 张策 (1866 - ?) who learned Yang Taijiquan and then Tongbeiquan, and developed this style.
Yeung
Wuji

Postby Yeung on Fri Oct 02, 2020 11:55 am

Zhang Ce Wuxingtongbeiquan:

Last edited by Yeung on Fri Oct 02, 2020 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Yeung
Wuji

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan