Chinese detention 'leaving thousands of Uighur children with

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

Chinese detention 'leaving thousands of Uighur children with

Postby GrahamB on Fri Oct 16, 2020 7:11 am

Ethnic cleansing 2020.
Over one million people imprisoned in camps:

Chinese detention 'leaving thousands of Uighur children without parents'
Researcher says Xinjiang files reveal government strategy of long-term social control

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/ ... apers-show
One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Re: Chinese detention 'leaving thousands of Uighur children with

Postby Bao on Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:31 am

Ethnic cleansing 2020.

The article says nothing about ethnic cleansing. In fact, it contradicts this statement

If you read the linked report:

"New local government data from Yarkand (Xinjiang) shows over 10,000 mostly Uyghur children in “hardship” due to one or both parents detained."

"About 1,000 of these children have both parents in detention. A number of them have been put into state orphanages, some of which are directly next to schools."

So 1 out of 10 of these have both patents living in some kind of facility. 9 out of 10 have one parent living in some kind of facility. This mean that only some of the Uighurs are detained in facilities. Also, BBC made a documentary about the re-education camps that clearly shows that the people there go home to their village and families.

1000 children having both parents in some kind of facility? There are 12 000 000 Uighurs in Xinjiang, and most of the adult Uighurs have 2 or 3 children as Ughurs can have as many children they want. (The one child system is only Han Chinese) So maybe 300 families and 600 adults where most of them study in re-education schools where they go home at the weekends and are free to leave when they have passed the exams. Doesn't seem like a very big percentage. So is there an ethnic cleaning going on? Nothing here points to that.

But in some small places all over China, getting a regular job becomes more difficult and when some of them never had a chance to go to school, so the Chinese government try to offer these people an education and something they can do to earn a living on. So this kind of school is everywhere in China, not only in Xinjiang, and it has nothing to do with ethnicity if you can stay there or not.

Over one million people imprisoned in camps

This figure is not mentioned in the article. However, the original report mention:

"The number of students in Xinjiang who live in boarding facilities grew by over 380,000 between 2017 and 2019, from about 500,000 to just below 900,000."

Most students in whole China live in boarding facilities. And also, most facilities have a very high security. Even most High Schools are surrounded by a wall and have guards. So the report just say that 900,000 people in Xinjiang are study in schools, han Chinese, and different minorities including Uighur.

Also from the report that Guardian based the article on: "A June 2018 notice issued by the Xinjiang Education Department proclaimed that by the end of that year, the region’s 2.94 million students in mandatory education (grades 1–9) were expected to have a fully Chinese-medium language education."

Giving people an education doesn't sound as an ethnic cleansing.
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby GrahamB on Fri Oct 16, 2020 11:43 am

I often wonder what is wrong with you Bao. I mean, what is wrong with you? Do you have some sort of condition I don't know about?
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby Bao on Fri Oct 16, 2020 12:53 pm

Why should there be something wrong with me? I don't care about being politically correct if that is what you mean. It would be better to point out where I am wrong instead of acting childish. You need to start to think by yourself and not just listen to propaganda. You should start by reading the report linked in Guardian. Where Guardian say "thousands of children, referring to the report, it says "one thousand". It's an interesting read and clears out a few old misconceptions. I can't force you of course, if you want to stay ignorant and don't want to think by yourself, you can do so.
Bao
Great Old One

Postby GrahamB on Fri Oct 16, 2020 3:09 pm

You seem to use every convoluted reasoning device you can construct to avoid dealing with reality.

To be honest, that's fairly typical of the Tai Chi community.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby Bao on Fri Oct 16, 2020 6:10 pm

You should educate yourself a bit. I’ve already gave you a suggestion where to start. Frankly, I couldn’t care less about what you believe or say. You never come up with any kind of argument and hardly ever discuss anything. Mostly you just dismiss or joke about things. So what I write now is not a reply. It’s just a general remark. And I would prefer if you didn’t reply this at all.

I’ve read a whole lot about these issues and thought about it a lot. How much is true? Is any of it true? I have always tried to look up the original sources. Just because most people believe something doesn’t make it true. My own standpoint is from my own knowledge and experiences about China, from spending +20 years back and forth between Europe and China, working with Chinese people, having business in China etc. I’ve said this before, I personally know Uighurs from Xinjiang. I personally know quite a few Chinese Muslims in China. I have a relative who is married to one. Their kid went to a Muslim kindergarten. The kids there read and study Islam and the Quran already from two years of age. All over China, Muslim and other minorities read their own languages, study their religion, preserving their own cultures. (As a reminder, there are 56 different nationalities in China.)

In my ‘hometown’ of Kunming, there’s a Muslim high school. There’s a saying about this school that it has the biggest gate in the whole Yunnan. How could it? Because there is a very big and strong Muslim community that support this school and at least partially finance it. There are Muslim interest organizations all over China. Absolutely nothing about a genocide in Xinjiang, or even maltreatment has been reported from these organizations. Absolutely nothing has been reported from inside China. How come? Such a big population? It doesn’t make sense. If something doesn’t make sense it isn’t true. But the truth is that every single report or accusation comes from outside of China, either from people seeking asylum in western countries or from anti-Mainland sources. We also know that the US have financially supported anti-Chinese propaganda here and there, and a bit everywhere.

I am not saying that there’s no trouble at all in Xinjiang or in other places, but many ideas people have here in the west about the way China try to deal with those problems comes from misunderstandings, lies and intentionally tampering with facts.

Btw, in TikTok, many people in Xinjiang and minorities in other places show clips how they live and what they do. Connecting to Wechat can also give you a pretty good idea how normal, common Chinese live all over China, even in small rural places. Think about it for a moment, why the U.S has such a big interest in shutting the doors to popular social media that can give you a real insight and connect you directly to the daily life in Xinjiang...
Last edited by Bao on Fri Oct 16, 2020 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bao
Great Old One

Postby Finny on Fri Oct 16, 2020 7:51 pm

Bao wrote:
Btw, in TikTok, many people in Xinjiang and minorities in other places show clips how they live and what they do. Connecting to Wechat can also give you a pretty good idea how normal, common Chinese live all over China, even in small rural places. Think about it for a moment, why the U.S has such a big interest in shutting the doors to popular social media that can give you a real insight and connect you directly to the daily life in Xinjiang...

Are you really saying that the US is responsible for the inability to access internet/social media in China from the outside? That must be why they call it the great firewall of the US..
Finny
Great Old One

Postby Trick on Fri Oct 16, 2020 8:20 pm

Meanwhile two Muslim restaurant has just opened in my neighborhood by Chinese of the Uighur ethnicity. The restaurants emediatly turned an success in the neighbouhood.......I see the owners kids there with them n the evenings,seems no one’s missing/detained........

Grahame have never been to China and he only read the guardian
Last edited by Trick on Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Trick

Postby GrahamB on Sat Oct 17, 2020 5:42 am

Bao, you can't just demand I don't reply to you.

You appear to approve of putting people in concentration camps because of their ethnicity. I hope you're proud of what you are.
Last edited by GrahamB on Sat Oct 17, 2020 5:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby windwalker on Sat Oct 17, 2020 8:55 am

Finny wrote:
Bao wrote:

Are you really saying that the US is responsible for the inability to access internet/social media in China from the outside? That must be why they call it the great firewall of the US..

Curious isn’t it, they use the firewall to do what some are accusing the US of doing for the same reasons.

In some aspects China has it right, considering what the social media platforms are doing on their own.

Hopefully to be corrected after the election.
Last edited by windwalker on Sat Oct 17, 2020 9:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
windwalker
Wuji

Postby everything on Sat Oct 17, 2020 9:04 am

wut? c'mon guys. the us thing is useless (economics wise) political saber rattling. not designed to do anything real except for political gain.

racism/oppression? i do tend to believe those of you who have actually lived in china and have some first hand accounts. but i do tend to not fully believe either side of media. the chinese political response? #BLM. that should really shut up any lecturing from the us, not sure about the guardian, as we have our own totally fucked up oppression here. and a bunch of karens not realizing they're karens, and other total idiots who think it doesn't exist or is over-stated. smh. is the same crowd as covidiots and conspiracy theorists? i have no idea. i don't tend to conclude that.
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby Trick on Sat Oct 17, 2020 10:13 pm

Now I can’t open the ‘The guardian’, but do they suggest the toddlers should be in the prison too ? Or is it the usual media/ publicity trick of using children to play readers emotions?..
If those who are detained where not religious fundamentalists/radicals or criminals they instead could enjoy life in their own homes living a happy nuclear family life.
The talk about ‘ethnic cleansing’ is fakery and far out twisted talk also with the purpose of playing people’s emotions.....
Trick

Postby Bao on Tue Oct 20, 2020 12:42 am

GrahamB wrote:You appear to approve of putting people in concentration camps because of their ethnicity.

If you believe that I have said so or do so, you are in fact a moron.

(Or actually, you are a moron just for writing such a ridiculous thing.
You've been writing two whole posts just for insults so far in one single thread now. How juvenile can a person actually become? :-\ )

Trick wrote:The talk about ‘ethnic cleansing’ is fakery and far out twisted talk also with the purpose of playing people’s emotions.....

Yes of course it is. They have no clue how Xinjiang looks like or about the situation for Uighurs or muslims in China. But some people are lazy and prefer to listen to American sponsored propaganda instead of making an effort to actually educating themselves.
Last edited by Bao on Tue Oct 20, 2020 3:45 am, edited 5 times in total.
Bao
Great Old One

Postby Bao on Tue Oct 20, 2020 12:49 am

So many people a lot of western people go to Xinjiang, film there and make videos. This guy goes around on the streets, speak with Uighurs and even pass police filming with his camera. No one cares. There are a lot of videos like this around.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7oKvulTU8oU

Last edited by Bao on Tue Oct 20, 2020 1:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bao
Great Old One

Next

Return to Off the Topic