Wu Hao Taiji Fajin & App: Lift Hands, White Crane Brush Knee

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Wu Hao Taiji Fajin & App: Lift Hands, White Crane Brush Knee

Postby marvin8 on Thu Oct 15, 2020 2:39 pm

Master Jimmy Wong
Oct 3, 2020

Master Jimmy Wong demonstrates Wu Hao Tai Chi Application and Fajin explain 3 ways to apply Lifting Hands.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89Q0cdiJlYw
marvin8
Wuji

Re: Wu Hao Taiji Fajin & App: Lift Hands, White Crane Brush Knee

Postby AJG on Sat Oct 17, 2020 11:54 pm

A celebration of mediocrity in martial arts.
AJG
Anjing

Postby wayne hansen on Mon Oct 19, 2020 11:23 am

Yes pretty easy to push a little guy in goat riding stance with no yielding ability
Not very much effect for someone who has all the advantage
Don't put power into the form let it naturally arise from the form
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby C.J.W. on Wed Oct 21, 2020 7:00 am

He is purely relying on techniques. No Taiji body skills or jin.
C.J.W.
Wuji

Postby AJG on Thu Oct 22, 2020 12:07 am

Nice uniforms, a bit of mystery, stories about the past and students who don't critique or question and voila - a master is born.

Maybe i'm being a bit unreasonable, i don't know the guy and am judging from this video only. But i feel the students are not going to get the benefit they think they are.
AJG
Anjing

Postby Bao on Thu Oct 22, 2020 3:18 am

AJG wrote:Nice uniforms, a bit of mystery, stories about the past and students who don't critique or question and voila - a master is born.

Maybe i'm being a bit unreasonable, i don't know the guy and am judging from this video only. But i feel the students are not going to get the benefit they think they are.

Didn’t think that I was going to say anything... I’ve watched several of his videos. If he didn’t call himself “master”, I would probably see a kind and generous teacher who cared about details in his teachings. Now I see someone who tend to stiff up and use isolated arm strength while showing applications. I don’t care about what people call themselves but... :-\

This is the reason why I would probably never dare calling myself “master”. I am well too much aware of all of my own flaws... :P
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby Michael Babin on Fri Oct 23, 2020 2:06 pm

Jimmy Wong has put a lot online and Hao-style is an interesting variation of Taiji and one that I had never had any experience in.

Like so many around the world, I have been training exclusively on my own during this wretched pandemic and decided to learn a 13 posture Hao-style solo form from his youtube channel as he generously provided a lot of detailed instruction on that beginner form. That was months' ago and I still practise that short set and enjoy it as a variation to the other solo forms and methods in my training schedule.

There's lots of reasons to do any style of taijiquan and martial efficiency is usually the least important to most beginners. What's on offer in this gentleman's videos are exactly what many modern students are looking for when they explore any style of taiji for the fun of it. [I taught public group classes for decades in my home city in Canada and have experience with the attitudes and expectations that beginners often bring to class.]

I'm not advocating mediocrity and some teachers are better than others at teaching martial methods that might work under stress; but most students need to achieve a certain level of experience that most never want or get to appreciate the difference between basic martial training and what is more practical.

However, would any recreational taiji training hold up in a fight with a stranger as opposed to your classmate? Hard to say, I've know people who seemed timid and never had a martial arts lesson who successfully defended themselves in a really threatening situation and I've known people who were great at sparring in a martial arts club who folded at the first punch in a real fight. Life is often full of surprises...

As to the martial stuff that Mr Wong posts in this thread ... Bao has summed it up well to my mind.
My Website [with a link to my Youtube Channel] https://sites.google.com/view/mbtaiji/home
Michael Babin
Wuji

Postby wayne hansen on Sat Oct 24, 2020 10:08 am

Hao is the one last style I would try to learn on line
It's secrets need to be taught first hand
Don't put power into the form let it naturally arise from the form
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby nicklinjm on Sun Oct 25, 2020 5:53 pm

That background doesn't look like the UK! Has Ugur Osman moved to Singapore? (Planned to visit him previously but didn't end up making the trip because he lived > 5 hr drive away from where I was living)
nicklinjm
Wuji

Postby Sean on Wed Oct 28, 2020 5:03 am

The Hao Shaoru line of Wu Yuxiang Taiji just looks super whimpy to me.
I prefer the Zhai Wen Zhang line
Sean
Wuji

Postby Bao on Wed Oct 28, 2020 10:06 am

Sean wrote:The Hao Shaoru line of Wu Yuxiang Taiji just looks super whimpy to me.
I prefer the Zhai Wen Zhang line

Yeah, you've said it before - Found a ten year old thread. ;D

Hao Shaoru saw what Yang Chengfu, Wu Jianquan and Sun Lutang accomplished. So he simplified the old Wu style and turned it into "Hao" to follow them and taught Tai Chi mostly as a method of health practice.

I love the old Wu (Yuxiang), its expression is very different from modern Hao:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nffsvMZiEak
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6OC-7CGczI

But still, most of Hao has kept a lot of stuff that you hardly see in the other styles styles. I like the strict frame, precise angles and the details of the postures. I.e. all of the basic principles and ideas that Sun Lutang threw straight into the bin. ;D

Agree with Wayne, and even for the "wimpier" Hao, you really need to have first hand instruction. If you lose the details and the precision of the postures, you lose it all.
Last edited by Bao on Wed Oct 28, 2020 10:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bao
Great Old One

Postby Sean on Thu Oct 29, 2020 1:18 am

There is a fine line between hyper precision and control of posture and robotic movement that lacks rythm and fluidité.
Sean
Wuji

Postby Sean on Thu Oct 29, 2020 3:10 am

This is closer to the version that I learned.

When I was learning the form, my teacher emphasized the development of "natural" movement, flow and rythme as well as the change between "wai peng" and "nei peng". But that could just be because I tended to over control the postures/positions.
Sean
Wuji

Postby Bao on Thu Oct 29, 2020 9:59 am

Sean wrote:There is a fine line between hyper precision and control of posture and robotic movement that lacks rythm and fluidité.

As someone in the old RSF said: you see the outcome of long time practice, but not the practice itself.

Some old Wu lineages does not look soft and they have many different exercises and tools to practice connection and structure. How they arrange their movements is also different from the Tai Chi that only teaches to "relax" while keeping correct angles.

The gent in the vid looks as he has very strong connection, structure and control of posture. But I don't believe that he lacks rhythm or fluidity.

Sean wrote:This is closer to the version that I learned.

Oh, that's Zhai Weichuan, he has very close connection to the old Wu as well: "president of China Yongnian Yu Xiang Tai Chi Chuan Institute, based in the Home Town of The Old Wu style - Guangfu in Yongnian prefecture, Hebei province."

On Jimmy Wong's homepage I can read that he is an indoor disciple of Wu Wenhan in Beijing. But from what I can make out if the information, he seems to have lived most of his life in Texas and also studied some in Malaysia and Singapore. He also has a strong connection to the Chin Woo association. So, when and for how long time he studied with Wu Wenhan is unclear.
Bao
Great Old One

Postby windwalker on Thu Oct 29, 2020 1:08 pm

The stages of learning the form of Wu 武 style Taijiquan

Any current examples of the end result in use?
windwalker
Wuji

Next

Return to Video Links