i sure hope everyone sticks around

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

i sure hope everyone sticks around

Postby jimmy on Fri Nov 06, 2020 8:17 pm

and gets over their butt hurt anuses...
cuz i sure love y'all assholes an awful lot.
presidents come and go,
but assholes are forever.

jimmy
Wuji

Re: i sure hope everyone sticks around

Postby everything on Fri Nov 06, 2020 10:51 pm

amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby Trick on Fri Nov 06, 2020 11:27 pm

Trick

Postby Dmitri on Sat Nov 07, 2020 8:43 am

All this, too, shall pass
Dmitri
Great Old One

Postby Peacedog on Sat Nov 07, 2020 10:42 am

RSF is like a combination of an Irish Wake and Festivus' airing of the grievances. Where else can you argue with a bunch of middle aged guys you'll never meet for free without having to pay for drinks?

Inevitably all of the arguments end in "my style is better than your style...hwaaa!!!" or "my master said....".
Peacedog
Great Old One

Postby Giles on Sat Nov 07, 2020 2:04 pm

Peacedog wrote:Inevitably all of the arguments end in "my style is better than your style...hwaaa!!!" or "my master said....".

I think I know where you're coming from, but I still think that's an overly pessimistic judgement. I can recall quite a few disagreements and disputes here about martial arts (i.e. not "Off the Topic") that generated interesting information, insights and perspectives. At least for me, as a reader and sometimes as a participant. If that weren't the case, I would have tuned out a long time ago.

On the other hand, some discussions/disputes, on specific themes, with well-known participants, have the predictability and ritualistic quality of a group dance. Like this, but less cheery:

Still, rituals aren't necessarily bad...
Do not make the mistake of giving up the near in order to seek the far.
Giles
Wuji

Postby everything on Sat Nov 07, 2020 6:23 pm

probably why OTT is the most entertaining sub-forum. we cover a wide gamut of material. comparatively very little BTDT or the same old same old.
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby Peacedog on Tue Nov 10, 2020 4:48 pm

Giles,

I like the Morris dance analogy.

And just to be clear, I made my original comment tongue in cheek.

I've enjoyed the skull drudgery quite a bit around here over the years. And yes, some of the more likely to be "butt hurt" crew are easily, and often laughably, predictable.

The "it'll work this time for sure", "that's impossible Inspector Holmes" and "my master/grad school professor said" set are always entertaining whether it is discussing why keeping your hands down in a fight is a good idea (hint it isn't ;D) , defining the various forms of fah jing, how lifting weights gives you the wrong kind of muscles or failed political systems.

I always hear Men Without Hats "Safety Dance" playing in the back of my mind when the usual suspects chime in.

Having been a multiple tour political advisor to general officers you develop a thick skin or get the hell out of career field. You also get very used to underqualified, and over educated, people trying to argue with the cold hard light of experience on your end regarding why something is a catastrophically bad idea.

That said, some people with actual experience in the odd, unusual and outright interesting do chime in occasionally. It's why I keep coming back.
Peacedog
Great Old One

Postby Ian C. Kuzushi on Tue Nov 10, 2020 5:01 pm

Peacedog wrote:Giles,

I like the Morris dance analogy.

And just to be clear, I made my original comment tongue in cheek.

I've enjoyed the skull drudgery quite a bit around here over the years. And yes, some of the more likely to be "butt hurt" crew are easily, and often laughably, predictable.

The "it'll work this time for sure", "that's impossible Inspector Holmes" and "my master/grad school professor said" set are always entertaining whether it is discussing why keeping your hands down in a fight is a good idea (hint it isn't ;D) , defining the various forms of fah jing, how lifting weights gives you the wrong kind of muscles or failed political systems.

I always hear Men Without Hats "Safety Dance" playing in the back of my mind when the usual suspects chime in.

Having been a multiple tour political advisor to general officers you develop a thick skin or get the hell out of career field. You also get very used to underqualified, and over educated, people trying to argue with the cold hard light of experience on your end regarding why something is a catastrophically bad idea.

That said, some people with actual experience in the odd, unusual and outright interesting do chime in occasionally. It's why I keep coming back.

Not the words of someone truly comfortable in their own skin.

文武両道。

Lord Li requires one hundred gold coins per day!
Ian C. Kuzushi
Great Old One

Postby GrahamB on Wed Nov 11, 2020 7:46 am

All you people mocking Morris dance - that's my cultural heratige you're laughing at! How would you Germans like it if I pissed on your frankenfurters? NOT SO FUNNY NOW IS IT!!!!!
One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby Peacedog on Wed Nov 11, 2020 5:29 pm

Of course....

Last edited by Peacedog on Wed Nov 11, 2020 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Peacedog
Great Old One

Postby Giles on Thu Nov 12, 2020 12:28 am

@ Peacedog: To a significant extent I think we're all part of the dance. I certainly wasn't excluding myself from the metaphor. Or you. :)
None of us has any kind of monopoly on truth. But that doesn't mean that all positions and claims are equally valid or deserving of respect. People are basically deserving of respect (although anyone can throw away this capital if they work at it hard enough...). Arguments, claims and positions need to earn and retain respect on their own merits.

...Personally I think "butthurt" is a destructive and non-useful term to throw around - a catch-all argument for anyone strongly objecting to something else. Its use may be justified or may be not...

- "I viewed your video and I think your shoulders are a little tense."
--- "You have no idea, you're an idiot, put up your own video, I bet I could destroy you in a fight!!"
- "Ooh, butthurt..."

- "You, your moves, your teacher, your style, your politics, your family, your nation and your ethnic group are all a load of steaming crap. Useless, should be consigned to the trash can! I know this because I read it on the Internet and I'm an expert on everything."
--- "That's insulting nonsense, not even logical. How about using some reasoned arguments instead?"
- "Ooh, butthurt..."

@Graham: I say old chap, I wasn't actually mocking the great Morris dance itself. I may have a Cherman passport alongside my firmly retained British one, but what's good enough for Billy Bragg is good enough for me. So here's to the Morris (Minor) !! ;)
Do not make the mistake of giving up the near in order to seek the far.
Giles
Wuji

Postby Ian C. Kuzushi on Thu Nov 12, 2020 10:13 am

Peacedog wrote:Of course....

;D

Pretty good.
文武両道。

Lord Li requires one hundred gold coins per day!
Ian C. Kuzushi
Great Old One

Postby grzegorz on Sun Nov 15, 2020 9:25 am

Good read and good fun! Could have easily been titled Bitches Get Shit Done.

As an asshole myself in a country of assholes. I always keep in mind that dicks fuck assholes and dicks can come in many types and sizes and don't even have to be human. Dicks can be circumstances, lack of opportunities, or just life.

So getting older and wiser rather than be proud of my inner asshole for saying "what needs to be said" I just tell myself fuck it I am dealing with another asshole and just leave it.

With this last election for example a lot of my co-workers wanted to debate with me but I would just hang up on them or walk away in which I was seen as being an asshole for essentially saving them from being schooled simply because I no longer give a damn. (Yes, my fellow co-workers some of us don't get our news from Facebook, the internet and actually base our opinions on facts. Shocking I know but some of us actually know history and still read books. So old school!)

Therefore while Manson's fun quick read is basically a pep talk saying be an asshole and don't give a damn what people think of you. I say, if you don't a damn what people think of you then why even bother get emotionally involved in schooling them (or if nothing else why waste your time)? Every action has a consequence so why even bother? As asshole I just no longer bother dealing with assholes and save myself from all kinds of drama and save valuable time.

Which is why people no longer see me anymore.

By the way, the whole I am an asshole and I can do whatever I want without any consequences thing. Well someone just tried that and thought he would get re-elected as president and it didn't quite work out. Did it? So perhaps there are real dangers to embracing your inner asshole. That writing should come with a warning.

Currently I am reading Everything is *ucked which is excellent!

Good luck and good times!
Last edited by grzegorz on Sun Nov 15, 2020 9:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire
grzegorz
Wuji

Postby Peacedog on Sun Nov 15, 2020 9:47 am

I personally prefer this metaphor care of Southpark.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=y2GwrR-4Q9E
Last edited by Peacedog on Sun Nov 15, 2020 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Peacedog
Great Old One

Next

Return to Off the Topic