Crazy (and not-so-crazy) shit about Covid-19

The following typical threads that plague martial arts sites will get moved here if not just deleted: 1 - My style is better than Your style" - 2 - "Internal & External" - 3 - Personal attacks - 4 - Threads that start well, but degenerate into a spiral of nonsense.

Re: Crazy (and not-so-crazy) shit about Covid-19

Postby Steve James on Mon Nov 16, 2020 6:29 am

Well, yeah, those who said "Let's wait and see" are seeing; but, many are saying that we won't know for years. My position has been that it's an irrelevant argument because it's useless. Sure, "we'll see." That's fine, if we want to blame or credit someone for their methods or results. In this case, however, only one side of the argument wants to be right. Personally, I sincerely wish that masks, vaccines, and social distancing were totally unnecessary. All are a pain in the ass.

Otoh, there are my wishes and there is reality of sick people going to hospitals.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aIuu3_5ymHE
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby Steve James on Mon Nov 16, 2020 6:50 am

Deja vu for anyone who's seen it before.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aARKjCViJX4

Re: NYS, fwis, schools are open. Too bad for NYS Republicans, though. I mean there are lots of them. In fact, every state is politically mixed. When you screw a state --for whatever excuse-- you're screwing all the people there, even the ones who voted for you.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Re: new thread on covid-19 updates in your location

Postby Giles on Mon Nov 16, 2020 7:09 am

bailewen wrote:Thought of all that but felt my post was long enough already.

Mainly just wanted to take a trip down memory lane.

Back then I was busy being driven insane by the dumb drone of "well it's too early to tell" and "we just can't predict this. not enough data yet..."

I thought that might be the case. Well, I'm always happy to add a footnote. ;D

And as regards "well it's too early to tell" and "we just can't predict this. not enough data yet...". Sure, up to a certain point a degree of caution or reticence is usually sensible. Peacedog once pointed out that large organization managers often have a multitude of warnings and "this and this might happen" to deal with, and sometimes pragmatically to ignore. It's a continuum. BUT there can also come a point when the indications and evidence and the science mount and mount, and circumspection morphs into 'head in the sand' or pure denial. -- Is that rumbling noise and rush of air coming from the slopes above an avalanche, or maybe just some funny weather? You won't have a 100% irrefutable certainty acceptable to every last sceptic until the moment you all get buried.
--- And going by current cultural standards, even then some people might be saying: "We haven't been buried, this is just a temporary restriction of movement, light and air caused by those who want to harm the economy and limit our freedoms..."

Climate change, anyone?
Last edited by Giles on Mon Nov 16, 2020 8:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Do not make the mistake of giving up the near in order to seek the far.
Giles
Wuji

Postby Steve James on Mon Nov 16, 2020 4:31 pm

Climate change, anyone?

Iota.
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby wiesiek on Tue Nov 17, 2020 2:12 am

Trick wrote:Elon Musk tested corona positive and negative twice respectively on the same day...He feel something bogus going on he says

follow the words of the inventor PCR test:
"...This is very sensitive method, but not particularly well suited for cases outside laboratory standards ,
so
its effectiveness is like - 50%..."

:-\ .

Using this testing method, somebody find covid in fresh (bottled) juice , :)
go figure... :o
Joyful Fruits of the Live
wiesiek
Wuji

Postby Steve James on Tue Nov 17, 2020 6:02 am

Using this testing method, somebody find covid in fresh (bottled) juice , :)
go figure... :o

Damn, wiesiek, how did Poland manage to have 750K cases? Is that true?
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby wiesiek on Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:18 am

the testing protocols used, and reality are not the same, in addition testing methods are not even in 70% able to confirm the case, particularly if done one time,
so
hard to get truthful response.

In this I would like to state, that I wasn`t "conspiracy theory" participant or fan , but it`s changing somehow from yesterday.
I get info from Germany, that group of doctors which used chloride dioxide for covid treatment has ben banned,
in addition WHO banned the substance ....
Quite interesting if you consider, that it (book about MMS was published years ago) is used 65 years already,
AND
it is only one substance which REALY heal marsh fever

hmmm, kinda of "BIG PHARMA" long hands?

and btw, I using this substance for treatment of hard infection , basically no side effect.
hard part - preparing it .
You have to make two solution (citic acid 50% and 22,4% of the natrium dioxychloride ) you mixing it, and solution is good only 24 h.
Also , special protocol of using the solution is required .
Important information - commercially avalible natrium dioxychloride is not 100% , so preparing solution with good % can be tricky,
also commercially avalible solutions come with HCl, as the acid part - it is absolutely wrong due to "chemistry of the chloride itself" - this is follow my wife (she is chemistry professor ).
anyway read the book about MMS - author is American Doc, -he worked in Africa and did the great job.
wiesiek
Wuji

Postby wiesiek on Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:48 am

officially today:
infected totally - 796 798 cases,
today - 23 975.
deaths: 12 098 .
Today - 637

361 886 - returned to normal conditions.
wiesiek
Wuji

Postby Peacedog on Thu Nov 19, 2020 5:32 am

Another study showing masks make no difference.

https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/do- ... -covid-19-
Peacedog
Great Old One

Postby Bao on Thu Nov 19, 2020 6:41 am

Peacedog wrote:Another study showing masks make no difference.
https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/do- ... -covid-19-

"Only 46 per cent of those wearing masks in the trial said they had completely adhered to the rules. "

An absurd conclusion then. If people are not instructed how to use it properly or don't care, how can you come to the conclusion that wearing masks have no difference? ::)

In time of Pandemic crises, if you travelled with public transportation in any of the East-Asian countries and didn't wear a mask, or wore it improperly, people would quarrel and yell at you. This might be the most important difference, the attitude. In those countries everyone cares and cooperate together to do things right.
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby wiesiek on Thu Nov 19, 2020 9:37 am

...everyone cares and cooperate together to do things right...

hmm, everyone?, really?

in this point of disscusion, worth to menton, that many times in the history of humankind,
crowd wasn`t right many of times...
wiesiek
Wuji

Postby Ian C. Kuzushi on Thu Nov 19, 2020 10:16 am

Bao wrote:In time of Pandemic crises, if you travelled with public transportation in any of the East-Asian countries and didn't wear a mask, or wore it improperly, people would quarrel and yell at you. This might be the most important difference, the attitude. In those countries everyone cares and cooperate together to do things right.

I agree. And it's not only Asia, but everywhere they have been comparatively successful in dealing with the pandemic.

Peacedog wrote:
Another study showing masks make no difference.

Why America is so fucked: pseudo-intellectual right-wing maniacs.
文武両道。

Lord Li requires one hundred gold coins per day!
Ian C. Kuzushi
Great Old One

Postby Ian C. Kuzushi on Thu Nov 19, 2020 10:36 am

What evidence do we have that wearing a mask is effective in preventing COVID-19?

There are several strands of evidence supporting the efficacy of masks.

One category of evidence comes from laboratory studies of respiratory droplets and the ability of various masks to block them. An experiment using high-speed video found that hundreds of droplets ranging from 20 to 500 micrometers were generated when saying a simple phrase, but that nearly all these droplets were blocked when the mouth was covered by a damp washcloth. Another study of people who had influenza or the common cold found that wearing a surgical mask significantly reduced the amount of these respiratory viruses emitted in droplets and aerosols.

But the strongest evidence in favor of masks come from studies of real-world scenarios. “The most important thing are the epidemiologic data,” said Rutherford. Because it would be unethical to assign people to not wear a mask during a pandemic, the epidemiological evidence has come from so-called “experiments of nature.”

A recent study published in Health Affairs, for example, compared the COVID-19 growth rate before and after mask mandates in 15 states and the District of Columbia. It found that mask mandates led to a slowdown in daily COVID-19 growth rate, which became more apparent over time. The first five days after a mandate, the daily growth rate slowed by 0.9 percentage-points compared to the five days prior to the mandate; at three weeks, the daily growth rate had slowed by 2 percentage-points.

Another study looked at coronavirus deaths across 198 countries and found that those with cultural norms or government policies favoring mask-wearing had lower death rates.

Two compelling case reports also suggest that masks can prevent transmission in high-risk scenarios, said Chin-Hong and Rutherford. In one case, a man flew from China to Toronto and subsequently tested positive for COVID-19. He had a dry cough and wore a mask on the flight, and all 25 people closest to him on the flight tested negative for COVID-19. In another case, in late May, two hair stylists in Missouri had close contact with 140 clients while sick with COVID-19. Everyone wore a mask and none of the clients tested positive.
Do masks protect the people wearing them or the people around them?

“I think there’s enough evidence to say that the best benefit is for people who have COVID-19 to protect them from giving COVID-19 to other people, but you’re still going to get a benefit from wearing a mask if you don’t have COVID-19,” said Chin-Hong.

Masks may be more effective as a “source control” because they can prevent larger expelled droplets from evaporating into smaller droplets that can travel farther.

Links in the article here:

https://www.ucsf.edu/news/2020/06/41790 ... ks-prevent
文武両道。

Lord Li requires one hundred gold coins per day!
Ian C. Kuzushi
Great Old One

Postby Peacedog on Thu Nov 19, 2020 12:11 pm

Those Danes are really right wing. I'm sure they're watching Alex Jones all day. ::)
Peacedog
Great Old One

Postby Steve James on Thu Nov 19, 2020 12:39 pm

To me, it's a simple cost v benefit analysis. It costs very little to wear a mask, and any potential benefit is worth it. The article did not show that not wearing a mask offers any solution to the problem masks are meant to mitigate.

Secondly, when vaccines are available (in five or six months, if you're healthy and not a celebrity), arguing about masks, social distancing, etc., will be less relevant. We didn't wear masks because of the flu (in the US, that is).
Steve James
Great Old One

PreviousNext

Return to Been There Done That