Response to a low single leg

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Response to a low single leg

Postby dspyrido on Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:40 pm

Low single leg is a common wrestling move. Used in mma fights as well.

This is a low single leg:

Here's a tutorial of how it's done.

What is your TMA/CMA/IMA/personal response to one of these?
dspyrido
Wuji

Re: Response to a low single leg

Postby GrahamB on Fri Nov 20, 2020 3:46 am

"What is your TMA/CMA/IMA/personal response to one of these?"

I find a fault in your thinking there.

No need to put things in little boxes. There is just "a response".

The low single is a favourite of mine - I'm pretty low to the ground anyway ;D so it's a natural movement for me. I like the way Telles teaches it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BsByUV0UrmQ

One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby GrahamB on Fri Nov 20, 2020 4:20 am

But if you think you'll just downward elbow the back of his head, try it against this animal:

https://www.facebook.com/rudiswrestling ... 166864962/

;D ;D ;D
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby Bhassler on Fri Nov 20, 2020 8:08 am

I'll do a low block with my broadsword and let him cut himself. If I don't have a broadsword, and he does it like the guy in the gif in the OP, I'll fall down and then roll his unconscious body off me after he breaks his knee and smashes his head into the asphalt.

If he does it like the collegiate wrestler that Graham linked to, I'll have several months of knee rehab to contemplate why I was stupid enough to get in a fight with a world-class combat athlete 25 years younger than me. I'll probably end up quitting my job, selling everything, and living in the back of a van in a hippy commune somewhere in the Pacific Northwest. I'll live with a girl who's not very smart or pretty, but at least she's young and happy and seems to like me.

All of which is to say it's a silly question. What's the context? Sport or street? Size of opponent? Skill? At what point in the engagement? Are there other people around? Is anyone drunk? Carrying groceries? Weapons? Etc.
Bhassler
Great Old One

Postby GrahamB on Fri Nov 20, 2020 8:42 am

Bhassler wrote:If he does it like the collegiate wrestler that Graham linked to, I'll have several months of knee rehab to contemplate why I was stupid enough to get in a fight with a world-class combat athlete 25 years younger than me. I'll probably end up quitting my job, selling everything, and living in the back of a van in a hippy commune somewhere in the Pacific Northwest. I'll live with a girl who's not very smart or pretty, but at least she's young and happy and seems to like me.

Fair.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby Finny on Fri Nov 20, 2020 10:55 pm

What's my personal response to a low single leg? Sprawl.

The real issue is familiarity with ground work - if your response to a low single is successful every time then a low single doesn't pose any problem right? As BHassler pointed out a low single is not a common occurrence on 'teh streetz' really - I'd think a double, over/under or even high crotch would be a far more common thing to encounter, so far as wrestling entries are concerned.
Finny
Great Old One

Postby johnwang on Fri Nov 20, 2020 11:28 pm

There is a good reason that most wrestlers put their hands in front of their knees. A double under hooks is the simplest counter for double legs. Your both hands can prevent your opponent's hands to reach to your legs. Other counters can be move legs back fast, and strong reverse head lock.

Last edited by johnwang on Fri Nov 20, 2020 11:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Crow weep in the dark. Tide bellow in the north wind. How lonesome the world.
johnwang
Great Old One

Postby yeniseri on Sat Nov 21, 2020 9:49 am

f you never trained single leg conditioning, repsonse, etc then you become an easy target! I have been watching MMA more frequently lately and I have seen where many guys only concentrate on the upper body and obviously they realize that BJJ, judo newaza, etc has the potential to bring them down so they appear to be doing more groundwork to widen their range of response. I have seen guys who are strong (upper bidy mechanics) but after a few will placed lower body kicks (repeatedly) their offense falters. I have seen the opposite with guys who are aware, and train ground work, BJJ etc (lower bidy conditioning) but a well placed backhand or unexpected kick or hand (to face/neck area) makes them fall like a log.

Since I am an old man now, I do basic TKD kicks hoping I would not have to use it within the next 40 years. I think I can walk in a straight line. ???
When fascism comes to US America, It will be wrapped in the US flag and waving a cross. An astute patriot
yeniseri
Wuji

Postby jaime_g on Sat Nov 21, 2020 11:49 am

Shuai jiao bei bu and gai bu are excellent responses for the low single. It's a quick scramble escape
jaime_g
Wuji

Postby dspyrido on Sat Nov 21, 2020 3:48 pm

GrahamB wrote:"What is your TMA/CMA/IMA/personal response to one of these?"

I find a fault in your thinking there.

No need to put things in little boxes. There is just "a response".

This is a TMA/CMA/IMA site hence my question is giving preference to these schools of thought. It's not a western wrestling/grappling site.

So instead of trying to poke at the question or even post additional examples of a low single (my examples more than cover it but there are hundreds of other examples on YT anyway) why not respond to the question with your TMA/CMA/IMA response?
dspyrido
Wuji

Postby dspyrido on Sat Nov 21, 2020 3:59 pm

Bhassler wrote:If he does it like the collegiate wrestler that Graham linked to, I'll have several months of knee rehab to contemplate why I was stupid enough to get in a fight with a world-class combat athlete 25 years younger than me. I'll probably end up quitting my job, selling everything, and living in the back of a van in a hippy commune somewhere in the Pacific Northwest. I'll live with a girl who's not very smart or pretty, but at least she's young and happy and seems to like me.

All of which is to say it's a silly question. What's the context? Sport or street? Size of opponent? Skill? At what point in the engagement? Are there other people around? Is anyone drunk? Carrying groceries? Weapons? Etc.

I also didn't mention if they were wearing green underwear, were unshaven and it smelled of Monday.

You have been on this site for over a decade. Do I really need to spell out the context?

Ok I'll try. If you have ever been shown a technique that fits the context of the question then share it. If you have done something on the matt then go ahead and voice it. If you have a theoretical move then don't be afraid to explore it.

As for the collegiate wrestler part - the rehab is only if a technique is badly executed. It's like saying never box with a boxer because you're going to get knocked out. If you have 0 options then yes. We are exploring options.
dspyrido
Wuji

Postby dspyrido on Sat Nov 21, 2020 4:06 pm

Finny wrote:What's my personal response to a low single leg? Sprawl.

The real issue is familiarity with ground work - if your response to a low single is successful every time then a low single doesn't pose any problem right? As BHassler pointed out a low single is not a common occurrence on 'teh streetz' really - I'd think a double, over/under or even high crotch would be a far more common thing to encounter, so far as wrestling entries are concerned.

You nailed the source of my questioning. A sprawl leads to the ground.

Many IMA/CMA/TMA have an aversion for the ground. Even Shuajiow. As a result many counters in this mindset can be implemented that keep the person standing. Not as much in wrestling/submission sports.

But against a low single I noticed some moves that I learnt in xylh actually came out against a low single in a grappling situation. This changed my way of thinking about the original CMA moves & even altered how I train them.

I am interested in hearing about similar experiences or other insights.
dspyrido
Wuji

Postby dspyrido on Sat Nov 21, 2020 4:07 pm

jaime_g wrote:Shuai jiao bei bu and gai bu are excellent responses for the low single. It's a quick scramble escape

That would be great to hear more about. Can you or anyone doing SJ post examples of these moves?
dspyrido
Wuji

Postby Finny on Sat Nov 21, 2020 5:05 pm

dspyrido wrote:
Finny wrote:What's my personal response to a low single leg? Sprawl.

You nailed the source of my questioning. A sprawl leads to the ground.

I hate to disagree, but, well.. I disagree. I don't think a sprawl leads to the ground, I think a sprawl is designed to provide positional dominance and allow you to decide where you would want to be. A low single is designed to lead to the ground.

dspyrido wrote:Many IMA/CMA/TMA have an aversion for the ground. Even Shuajiow. As a result many counters in this mindset can be implemented that keep the person standing. Not as much in wrestling/submission sports.

But against a low single I noticed some moves that I learnt in xylh actually came out against a low single in a grappling situation. This changed my way of thinking about the original CMA moves & even altered how I train them.

I am interested in hearing about similar experiences or other insights.

That's an interesting, if not particularly original, perspective. I can only say that from what I've seen the percentages favour techniques frequently used in wrestling/submission sports, as they are designed for use against a resisting opponent. Many IMA/TMA/CMA techniques simply don't (imo). But then I went the heretical route and just started learning grappling and ground work..
Finny
Great Old One

Postby MaartenSFS on Sat Nov 21, 2020 5:55 pm

I like to use 猫洗脸, a move that you should be very familiar with. I used to sprawl, but prefer the traditional method. Simultaneous offence and defence. Much more efficient. Have used it quite a bit against shorter opponents.
MaartenSFS
Wuji

Next

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan