Xu Xiaodong is BACK! Beats Wu Tai Chi Master In 10 Seconds

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Xu Xiaodong is BACK! Beats Wu Tai Chi Master In 10 Seconds

Postby marvin8 on Sat Nov 28, 2020 2:43 pm

Wu extends both arms. Xu kicks low, punches high—fight over. Real fight, not demo or compliant drill.

Fight Commentary Breakdowns
Nov 28, 2020

Yes, our man, MMA pioneer 徐晓冬 who takes on TCMA is back! This time, Xu Xiaodong finally got to have a showdown with Chen Yong, the self-proclaimed sixth-generation Tai Chi Master of the Wu lineage. So let's see what Xu does against this Tai Chi master 陈勇. For those of you who remember, this MMA vs Tai Chi match was supposed to take place last year in November, but it kept getting delayed. Not anymore. Chen Yong stepped up to the plate. And it looks like it took place in the same spot that Chen Yong filmed his initial challenge videos. Did this go exactly like you thought? Who do you think Xu Xiaodong should take on next?

Videos we analyzed and further research for you:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=36B8tFc4ELU
https://www.instagram.com/p/CIIoFSwgWxJ ... 63j1odzsc1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KIXcTlJr3n4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2N_UhV1Fptk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NPVCfyS7zA
marvin8
Wuji

Re: Xu Xiaodong is BACK! Beats Wu Tai Chi Master In 10 Seconds

Postby Peacedog on Sat Nov 28, 2020 5:21 pm

Actually I give the tai chi “master” credit for quitting. Kung Fu Panda was about to knock him out and he didn’t let his ego get in the way.
Peacedog
Great Old One

Postby GrahamB on Sun Nov 29, 2020 3:19 am

One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby marvin8 on Sun Nov 29, 2020 5:40 am

Peacedog wrote:Actually I give the tai chi “master” credit for quitting. Kung Fu Panda was about to knock him out and he didn’t let his ego get in the way.

I give the tai chi “master” credit too, for fighting. I was just commenting that it's an all too familiar story.

My guess in the next fight is: IMA self-proclaimed master will extend/flail his arms—trying to block, trap or wrap a jab/punch, not know how to handle energy, expose an opening, lose their balance, get punched in the face and fall down. I am just not sure how many seconds it will last.

Xu controls the "master" (who may think Xu just "trades punches") by using the old low/high attack strategy.
marvin8
Wuji

Postby Peacedog on Sun Nov 29, 2020 6:34 am

Many, many, many years ago I got into a friendly match with a retired Dominican semi-pro fighter (i.e. a boxer).

I was still in the military and in shape. I was good for an amateur, which meant I sucked but didn't know it. Lol.

We put the gloves on and get into the ring.

He beat me like a little kid.

He was so fast I didn't even see the first punch to the head. I just felt the impact.

They called it after two rounds. And while I was proud of not getting knocked out, the fact is he could have done it at any time. He was just being nice about it.

We all went out for beers afterwards and that's when my training really moved over to qi gong and meditation versus the martial arts. I realized that given my age at the time, and the demands time wise of my profession, that I was not going to give fight training the 3-4 hours a day to be truly competent.

What amazes me, and this is the whole point here, is that these "masters" who are all 50 years old, and up, can't seem to come to terms with any of this.
Peacedog
Great Old One

Postby Franklin on Sun Nov 29, 2020 10:07 am

Peacedog wrote:Many, many, many years ago I got into a friendly match with a retired Dominican semi-pro fighter (i.e. a boxer).

I was still in the military and in shape. I was good for an amateur, which meant I sucked but didn't know it. Lol.

We put the gloves on and get into the ring.

He beat me like a little kid.

He was so fast I didn't even see the first punch to the head. I just felt the impact.

They called it after two rounds. And while I was proud of not getting knocked out, the fact is he could have done it at any time. He was just being nice about it.

We all went out for beers afterwards and that's when my training really moved over to qi gong and meditation versus the martial arts. I realized that given my age at the time, and the demands time wise of my profession, that I was not going to give fight training the 3-4 hours a day to be truly competent.

What amazes me, and this is the whole point here, is that these "masters" who are all 50 years old, and up, can't seem to come to terms with any of this.

i know exactly what you are talking about -

when i was in my early/mid 20's
i was at an opening event for a sort of boxing for health type place..
and one the other guys who was invited trained semi-pro fighters
his fighters were basically fighting on a circuit that was on the Spanish language tv channels in southern California...

the guy was like mid to late 50's
and only came up to about my shoulder height..
we were talking
and since no one showed up to the guy's opening event thing

he started messing about with me
(not like in a ring or anything -
he was like - you punch me -- see i do this.. or this - or this....)

about 20 seconds in -- it was apparent
that for real- this guy would just drop me when ever he wanted to....
nothing i could do about it....

kind of like when i was a teenager - i got to play with an Olympic level judo coach
another story...
but its clear when someone is on a whole other level....

the boxing guy showed some interest in training me...
but I had another direction to go in (TCM studies)
and no real desire to become a semi or pro fighter...

Franklin
Franklin
Great Old One

Postby wayne hansen on Sun Nov 29, 2020 11:58 am

Self proclaimed Wu master
Has anyone ever heard of him before this
Is his lineage traceable
He looks like an older out of shape guy with no idea of fighting and no fighting spirit
Don't put power into the form let it naturally arise from the form
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby nicklinjm on Sun Nov 29, 2020 5:46 pm

Have searched pretty hard in Chinese but can barely find anything on this guy's (Chen Yong) lineage at all. Only thing is he seems to have studied at a pure forms school in Hangzhou (Sanyuan Taiji). Looks like the only person calling him a "6th generation Wu(Hao) inheritor" is Chen Yong himself!
nicklinjm
Wuji

Postby AJG on Mon Nov 30, 2020 2:21 am

Terrible but we are used to these kinds of outcomes now. Its sad really, even sadder for his students.

He will learn hopefully and that insight will drive a new found passion to make his art work. He will sweat rather than talk theory and learn to become a real master rather than talking about long dead ones.

Then again he will probably get Xu arrested instead so he can save face.

There's just no compensating for hard work and really thinking critically about what one does.
AJG
Anjing

Postby Giles on Mon Nov 30, 2020 11:04 am

It's not even about whether Tai Chi is or can be a 'superior' martial art (...huh...). When someone begins by standing in a rigid bow stance and holding out his arms with equal rigidity, it's already over. Even in terms of tai chi fighting 101, this person seems to know nothing.
The bow stance isn't for defense, it's for stepping into the opponent's center at the right moment, i.e. attacking, and manifests at the most for a second or so before dissolving again into the next step or stance. Standing around in a bow stance is like occupying a small concrete bunker on a hilltop (with a flag) when the enemy has tanks or aircraft. You might feel 'strong' but one shell or rocket or bomb on target, and you're finished - as was the case here. Same goes for the 'raise hands' posture - it should last for less than a second, first appearing at the moment of contact before morphing into the next thing.
Bow stance is also good for practicing some kinds of tui shou. Maybe the misunderstanding comes from there..?

Still a plus point for the man for going into the ring at all. That always deserves respect. But a minus point for reality disconnect, seemingly not training with anyone competent or remotely 'dangerous' in preparation, and not understanding the basics of one's own art, no matter whether you win or lose.
Last edited by Giles on Mon Nov 30, 2020 11:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Do not make the mistake of giving up the near in order to seek the far.
Giles
Wuji

Postby wayne hansen on Mon Nov 30, 2020 2:15 pm

Isn’t the locked bow stance the result of so much of the ridged wrestling push hands that is around today
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby Giles on Tue Dec 01, 2020 12:26 am

Quite possibly, Wayne. Or even the result of other modes of push hands, with less 'hard wrestling', if these still use the fixed-step, bow stance format. Actually I think fixed-step push hands can be a great format for training certain crucial things, such as using the waist/hips to neutralize. If you can't get away from trouble by moving your feet, then you're forced to soften the body and use the hips to protect and counter. So far, so good. But then you soon need to start putting these skills into mobility, flowing in and out, and using this for dealing with strikes and kicks and tackles. Not standing around in the bow stance, waiting to get dropped. Big misunderstanding of a good training tool, both in tui shou and in your tai chi form.
'You' in the generic sense here, of course. I'm sure that you, Wayne, have more understanding and experience than me in these aspects.
Do not make the mistake of giving up the near in order to seek the far.
Giles
Wuji

Postby wayne hansen on Wed Dec 02, 2020 12:59 pm

There is nothing wrong with fixed step pushing
We have two types
One where the hands are used to ward off and one with no hands
We also allow the front foot to retreat
It is the back foot that is not allowed to step back
It is not about being fixed or not it is about using sit back
I was talking about when both parties lock into a bow stance
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby marvin8 on Sat Dec 05, 2020 10:54 pm

Fight Commentary Breakdowns
Dec 5, 2020

Tai Chi Master Chen Yong came out with a very in-depth reflection on why he lost to MMA icon Xu Xiaodong in the latest MMA vs Tai Chi match. Let's see what aspects of the competition and what aspects of the weather during the bout made the Taijiquan unable to be used. I'm not kidding at all with that previous sentence. He had a three-pronged excuse that made no sense in explaining his combat sports performance in the cage. For viewers, do you want to see more about Chen Yong 陈勇 or Xu Xiaodong 徐晓冬? Also, stay tuned for a special announcement at the end of this fight commentary breakdowns.

Xu Xiaodong MMA's YT channel:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIXOIj ... z78DE0vj2A
Chen Yong's full explanation for lose:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=trzkVtYSNoA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xqzAtS4hmuw
marvin8
Wuji

Postby Bao on Sun Dec 06, 2020 5:47 am

Chen Yong's full explanation for lose:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=trzkVtYSNoA

Wow.

Apparently he lost because he hadn’t competed for one whole year and because that he felt that the mat was too soft.
Last edited by Bao on Sun Dec 06, 2020 5:48 am, edited 2 times in total.
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Next

Return to Video Links