Taijiquan listed as UNESCO Intangible Cultural Heritage

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Taijiquan listed as UNESCO Intangible Cultural Heritage

Postby Yeung on Thu Dec 17, 2020 3:26 pm

China's Taijiquan listed as UNESCO Intangible Cultural Heritage
Source: Xinhua| 2020-12-17 21:30:46|Editor:

http://www.xinhuanet.com/english/2020-1 ... 598122.htm
Yeung
Wuji

Re: Taijiquan listed as UNESCO Intangible Cultural Heritage

Postby yeniseri on Thu Dec 17, 2020 9:24 pm

Wonderful!
When fascism comes to US America, It will be wrapped in the US flag and waving a cross. An astute patriot
yeniseri
Wuji

Postby Quigga on Fri Dec 18, 2020 1:55 pm

So they mention tajiquan as being originated in Chenjiagou... It's official then?
Quigga

Postby Yeung on Mon Dec 21, 2020 3:49 am

Quigga wrote:So they mention tajiquan as being originated in Chenjiagou... It's official then?

I think everyone agrees that Chen Wangting (1960-1986) coined the term Taijiquan and has a link to Internal Martial Art which disappeared due to political reason. The Chens people got mixed up with the genealogies of Taijiquan and the Chens family in Chenjiagou. After all, Chen Wangting was a 9th generation member of Chens family in Chenjiagou.
Yeung
Wuji

Postby Yeung on Mon Dec 21, 2020 3:56 am

Genealogy of Taijiquan in Chenjiagou 1946

The Genealogy of Taijiquan in Chenjiagou was published in 1946 by Fu Zhenshong and was translated in an article entitled “The Taijiquan of Fu Zhensong”, Australasian Martial Arts, Vol 7, No. 2, 2000, pp. 74-75. The following is a revised version of it with names with their Chinese correspondents:

According to Fu Zhensong the founder of Taijiquan is Zhang Sanfeng 张三峰 and after a number of generations it was passed to Chen Zouting 陈奏庭 the ninth generation of the Chen Family in Chenjiagou陈家沟. The well-known Taijiquan practitioners after Zhang Sanfeng were Wang Zongyue 王宗岳of Shaanxi陕西Province, then Wang Laixien王莱咸 (王来咸)in Shanxi山西Province, then Zhang Songji 张松鸡 (张松溪) of Hongtong County 洪洞县, and then Jiang Fa 蒋发of Henan Province 河南.

The Genealogy of Taijiquan in Chenjiagou from first to ninth generations as follows:

First Generation
Chen Zouting陈奏庭 (Chen Wangting) with the nickname of Yaowu 耀武, an expert of Yijing (Booking of Changes) specialized in Taijiquan and taught to son and brother.

Second Generation
Chen Jingbai 陈敬伯had the nickname Changqing长青.

Third Generation
Chen Yuhui 陈毓蕙 had the nickname of Chuting 楚汀, he was a successful candidate in the highest imperial examinations, specialized in Taijiquan.

Fourth Generation
Chen Jixia陈继夏had the nickname of Bingnan丙南, and was a successful candidate in the highest imperial examinations, specialized in Taijiquan.

Fifth Generation
Chen Bingwang陈秉旺, Chen Bingren陈秉壬and Chen Bingqi陈秉奇, who were triplets and called the three Taijiquan experts of the Chen Family

Sixth Generation
Chen Changxing陈长兴, had the nickname of Jiufang久芳, son of Chen Bingwan
Chen zhongshen 陈仲甡and Chen Jishen陈季甡, who were Chen Bingqi’s twin sons

Seventh Generation
Chen Gengyun 陈耕枟, the son of Chen Changxing

Seventh Generation of non-Chen Family:
Yang Fukui杨福魁, had the nickname of Luchan禄禅from Yongnian County永年县
Li Baikui李伯魁, had the nickname of Zhihao 之豪, from Hebei河北Province
Chen Qingping 陈清平, had the nickname of Jingan 静安, from Zhaobaojie 赵堡街, Wenxian温县

Eighth Generation taught by Chen Gengyun
Chen Yannian 陈延年had the nickname of Shoupeng寿彭
Chen Yanxi 陈延禧 (熙) had the nickname of Huijie会杰

Eight Generation of non-Chen Family taught by Chen Gengyun
Shi Fengqi 石凤岐 had the nickname of Baoshan宝山

Ninth Generation taught by Chen Yanxi
Chen Lianke陈连科Chen Fake陈发科, Chen Xin陈鑫

Ninth Generation of non-Chen Family taught by Chen Yanxi
Du Yuanhua杜元化 Yuan Keding袁克定, Ji Zhiyi姬致义, Fu Zhensong傅振嵩, all from Huaiqingfu怀庆府 Henan河南Province
Yeung
Wuji

Postby Quigga on Mon Dec 21, 2020 7:51 am

Yeung wrote:
Quigga wrote:So they mention tajiquan as being originated in Chenjiagou... It's official then?

I think everyone agrees that Chen Wangting (1960-1986) coined the term Taijiquan and has a link to Internal Martial Art which disappeared due to political reason. The Chens people got mixed up with the genealogies of Taijiquan and the Chens family in Chenjiagou. After all, Chen Wangting was a 9th generation member of Chens family in Chenjiagou.

You prove my point :D

Taijiquan IMO has much deeper roots in mystic-mythic-shamanistic aspects of Chinese culture than one - I would assume - could learn about in Chen style TJQ.
Saying that only Chen style TJQ with no or few references to the actual history of MINDBODY conditioning is protected is just another attempt to press the Great Cultural Revolution forward.
And Chen village obviously perfected their product.....

Maybe a bit too much drama but you get my point.
Quigga

Postby Quigga on Mon Dec 21, 2020 8:02 am

But I'm happy it happened.
Quigga

Postby robert on Mon Dec 21, 2020 10:03 am

Quigga wrote:...
Saying that only Chen style TJQ with no or few references to the actual history of MINDBODY conditioning is protected is just another attempt to press the Great Cultural Revolution forward.

Huh? Tang Hao references a poem by CWT

Wangting also left us a free-verse poem, which begins thus: “I sigh for years past, oh those days of battle vanquishing hordes of bandits, so many moments of risk and danger. I was bestowed with imperial favor – meaningless. Now I am old and weary, and I have ended up with only a copy of the Daoist Yellow Courtyard Classic as my companion. When boredom sets in, I create boxing sets. When busy, I plow the fields. In my free time, I teach some students and grandkids, then I leave it to them to become dragons and tigers in their own time…”

The Yellow Courtyard Classic is a 1700 year old Daoist text on meditation and physiology. Tang Hao also writes "Comparing the Chen Village’s Long Boxing set and Cannon Boxing set with Qi Jiguang’s thirty-two postures, there are a full twenty-seven posture names that are similar: LAZILY PULLING BACK THE ROBE, SINGLE WHIP, GOLDEN ROOSTER STANDS ON ONE LEG, ..."

What Tang Hao presents is a syncretic creation of taijiquan. "With his thinking influenced by Daoism, he adopted Qi’s tested methods, using already established ideas to create boxing sets. It is clear that his descendants have carried on his work."

CWT synthesized daoyin, martial arts, daoist meditation, and breathing techniques into a single system. Douglas Wile juxtaposes the evolutionary/syncretic development of taiji by CWT with the mythological one man developed it from a dream zhang Sanfeng version. FWIW.
The method of practicing this boxing art is nothing more than opening and closing, passive and active. The subtlety of the art is based entirely upon their alternations. Chen Xin
robert
Wuji

Postby Yeung on Mon Dec 21, 2020 10:32 am

The logic of the development of Taijiquan is based on eight trigrams from the Yi Jing (the Book of Changes) dated back to the ancient Zhou Dynasty (1046 – 221 BC).

The physiology of Taijiquan is based on the Yellow Emperor’s Internal Medicine dated by scholars to between the late Warring State period (475-221 BC) and the Han dynasty (206 BC-200 AD).

The biomechanics of Taijiquan is based on the Pulling Book dated back to 186 BC (excavated on 1984) and the practice of Dao Yin (directed stretching) dated back to the Warring State period.

The psychology of Taijiquan is based on the teaching of Confucius (551-479 BC) on the resolution of fear and the teaching of on overcoming the stiff and strong from Laozi, who lived between the 6th century and 4th century BC. Zhuangzi (369-286 BC) taught the meditation techniques of “sitting and forgetting” and “fasting the heart”.

The fighting strategies of Taijiquan are based on the Thirty-six Stratagems from the Book of Southern Qi (470-502 AD) and the Art of War by Sunzi (500-430 BC).
Yeung
Wuji

Postby Bob on Mon Dec 21, 2020 10:34 am

The myth surrounding the origins of taijiquan appears to date back no earlier than the early 1870s, and was the product of practitioners of the Yang style of taijiquan, who seized on the story in Huang Zongxi's Epitaph to claim ancient Taoist origins for their style of boxing. Actually, the style of Chinese boxing which became known as taijiquan evolved from a boxing set practiced in the village of Chenjiagou, Henan Province, which Chen Changing (1771-1853) taught to Yang Luchan (1799-1872). The set practiced by the Chen family appears, in turn, to have received considerable inspiration from Ming general, Qi Jiguang's 32 forms, and was not originally called taijiquan. The name taijiquan appears to have been adopted around 1854 or later, after the discovering of an old boxing treatise which used the term taiji in the opening line to one section. (Henning S.E. p. 176)

https://sites.google.com/site/shinseido ... harma-myth

http://themartialscholar.yolasite.com/r ... enning.pdf
Last edited by Bob on Mon Dec 21, 2020 10:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bob
Great Old One

Postby Bhassler on Mon Dec 21, 2020 12:29 pm

The Chinese government recognizes Chen village as the birthplace of Taijiquan, and Chen Wangting as it's creator. So yes, it's official, and has been for quite some time. That's what "official" means.
Bhassler
Great Old One

Postby Bao on Mon Dec 21, 2020 12:38 pm

Bob wrote:The myth surrounding the origins of taijiquan appears to date back no earlier than the early 1870s, and was the product of practitioners of the Yang style of taijiquan, who seized on the story in Huang Zongxi's Epitaph to claim ancient Taoist origins for their style of boxing.

The Zhang San Feng origin might have been stressed around this time. I would guess that Tai Chi people would claim Zhang Sanfeng maybe already around 1830-1850. Why? Because the Baduanjin was published in the 1820s and became popular the Bodhidharma myth was created by this time, or at least got public attention. Zhang Sanfeng had already several literary connection with martial arts and was a semi-mythical person with occult powers.

But the Daoist connection is already in the works that Wu Yuxiang compiled, or from Wang Zongyue if you want to believe in him.

That Daoism was added late is something that someone made up who doesn’t understand what a great impact Daoism and Daoist exercises have had throughout the Chinese history. In fact, most Shaolin arts have a much more distinct and traceable Daoist origin than Buddhist. In the Song Dynasty for instance, from where the first big martial arts systems (that we can find today) originated, Daoists travelled around China and taught their exercises to the people in court, high officials and the upper class. Different types of exercises were very popular in the high society and most people practiced them as exercises for health, longevity and self refinement. I have no doubt whatsoever that most Chinese martial arts that can be found today at least partially originate from this exchange. No Daoism = no Tai Chi, not earlier and not later.
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby Bao on Mon Dec 21, 2020 12:49 pm

Tang Hao based his whole idea on Chen Wangting as the creator of T’ai Chi Ch’uan on a mistake he made. The only evidence besides his pure speculation was as a side-note in the Chen Family Manual that he found. Here it says that Chen Wangting created something called Chen Quan, or Chen Boxing. This note was added by Chen Xin (1849 -1929). But he didn’t know that Chen Xin never thought that Chen Wangting should have created Taijiquan, but believed that Chen Pu could have been the inventor of Tai Chi Chuan. Chenquan was something else.

So that almost everyone in the Tai Chi world believe that CWT created Tai Chi, and now also that the UNESCO believe so, is nothing else than based on Tang Hao’s mistake.
Last edited by Bao on Mon Dec 21, 2020 12:55 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby Bob on Tue Dec 22, 2020 4:09 am

Only posted to help document the naming of taijiquan - agree 110% with Yeung & Bao's post - the metaphysical & epistemological foundation of China past is deeply permeated by the Yi Jing - it was the culture's world view
Bob
Great Old One

Postby wayne hansen on Tue Dec 22, 2020 11:40 pm

I havent seen UNESCO practicing down the park so does he really know the difference between tai chi and chai tea
Don't put power into the form let it naturally arise from the form
wayne hansen
Wuji

Next

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan