Crazy (and not-so-crazy) shit about Covid-19

The following typical threads that plague martial arts sites will get moved here if not just deleted: 1 - My style is better than Your style" - 2 - "Internal & External" - 3 - Personal attacks - 4 - Threads that start well, but degenerate into a spiral of nonsense.

Re: Crazy (and not-so-crazy) shit about Covid-19

Postby Steve James on Wed Dec 23, 2020 10:08 am

Oops, my bad. I didn't see the sucrose in Roger's list. I sure hope it's the safe type :).
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby LaoDan on Wed Dec 23, 2020 11:41 am

Steve James wrote:Oops, my bad. I didn't see the sucrose in Roger's list. I sure hope it's the safe type :).

There is only one “type” of sucrose. It has the molecular formula C12H22O11 and it is a common sugar. It is safe and is frequently processed from sugar cane and sugar beets, but is also found in apples, oranges, carrots...
LaoDan
Wuji

Postby Steve James on Wed Dec 23, 2020 11:57 am

:) Whew.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby everything on Wed Dec 23, 2020 6:00 pm

heck it's basically a vegetable. like coffee bean juice.
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby BonesCom on Tue Dec 29, 2020 6:17 am

LaoDan wrote:
Lipids = (4-hydroxybutyl)azanediyl)bis(hexane-6,1-diyl)bis (ALC-3015) + (2- hexyldecanoate),2-[(polyethylene glycol)-2000]-N,N-ditetradecylacetamide (ALC-0159) = 1,2-distearoyl-snglycero-3-phosphocholine (DPSC) = cholesterol [These provide a protective delivery system so that the active ingredient is not broken down by RNAses before it can reach the mitochondria to trigger production the viral spike protein.]

Cytosol, not mitochondria.

https://www.researchgate.net/figure/Mec ... _338905163
BonesCom
Huajing

Postby roger hao on Wed Dec 30, 2020 8:54 am

Steve -
Anyway, do you know what's in the vaccine? I don't mean "I read it on the internet." I mean know in the sense that you feel confident telling people not to take the vaccine. So, since I tend to trust experts because I am not one, I'll take their advice. As I've said before, listen to your personal physician. Nobody else really cares about you.

It might explain some of my view point to tell you that at age 71 I do not
have a personal physician.
As your above response was to my post - please stop categorizing me or
anyone questioning treatments or vaccines as anti. My deep distrust of
anything that needs to be put into my body does not mean I am anti-vaxxer or not wearing a mask. Get it? It is a form of shaming and denigration - I have to point out
once again - to do that. Just do it and shut up does not sit well with me. It is not going to happen. Did I tell you not to take the vaccine? I really appreciate that there are
people on RSF willing to take the time to open broader discussion and big respect for
the cumulative knowledge. I can only wish that those same people could apply their
intelligence to question the propaganda rather than push so hard to sell it.

As the fear of the vaccine is dissipating and celebrities are preforming
pantomimes to get us to monkey see monkey do many medical experts are
telling us that we will need to continue to wear masks and distance due to
the vaccine not being positively effective.

BTW - I am watching Globo today and Anthony Fauci saying Covid is out of control.
I am wondering - wasn't that his job - his one job? To control Covid?
roger hao

Postby Steve James on Wed Dec 30, 2020 9:19 am

I didn't call you anti-anything in that post.

However, I don't feel any shame in suggesting that people take the advice of their personal physician above that of random people on the internet. I believe to do otherwise is stupid.

It doesn't matter whether you have a personal physician or not, or whether you've ever seen a doctor. That's the point. I don't care, and that doesn't matter because I have nothing to do with your health.

BTW - I am watching Globo today and Anthony Fauci saying Covid is out of control.
I am wondering - wasn't that his job - his one job? To control Covid?

Now ain't that precious. Covid is Fauci's fault. He should have .... not called it a hoax, not recommended hydroxychloroquine, recommended that people take back their freedom and go out in large groups, instituted the defense production act to distribute ppes (and vaccines) faster, etc. He should have warned us. It was "his" one job, and he failed. Then again, it's just a little flu. 99% of people have no problem, and it'll go away by itself.

And, you know what? It's actually getting worse. The UK and South Africa have reported a new strain that is even more transmissible. We even had one in Colorado. F-in Fauci better get his ass off the golf course and take care of business.
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby Steve James on Thu Dec 31, 2020 6:07 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xidR0epTSiA

Meanwhile. If ya don't want to take the vaccine, don't worry; somebody will take it. They'll be as happy as a heterosexual guy in a fashion show dressing room.
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby Bao on Sat Jan 02, 2021 11:40 am

The US uses Covid to get rid of prisoners, mostly black people one out of five prisoners have Covid-19. The US cares about human rights? Yeah, right. ::)

https://youtu.be/v3bOa8RkGbQ
Last edited by Bao on Sat Jan 02, 2021 11:40 am, edited 2 times in total.
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby Giles on Mon Jan 04, 2021 11:05 am

Are pandemics the new normal?

A very short and simple video about the basis for further pandemics. So simple one might say it is dumbed down but I still think it gets the basic issue across quite well.

https://www.bbc.com/news/av/world-55415763

At the end the speaker mentions "the need for people to change their habits to reduce the likelihood of disease spreading, to stop a pandemic like Covid-19 happening again".
Hmm, yes, well. Is that a realistic possibility? What might that involve - and I don't think anyone means no more parties, big sports events, festivals, hugging friends, dance, contact sports etc., but maybe there are other options? Or maybe going more or less back to 'normal' for now, but when new potential pandemic pathogens emerge in the future (which they will), then responding at the national and international levels more quickly? Maybe like ships that already have emergency procedures drilled and in place (heavy storms, collision, fire, terrorist attack) as well as crews and passengers (us) who know roughly what to do instead of milling around aimlessly or just ignoring the alarm as the ship starts to list.
Of course, with the increased awareness and readiness there can also be false alarms when decision-makers say 'better safe than sorry' and it later turns out not to have been necessary in that specific instance. Which could make the whole thing more controversial. But still... Arguably we are getting off relatively lightly with Covid-19, despite all the illness and death so far. There are almost certainly other viruses out there which pack a lot more of a punch and one of them could well come calling in the next 5 or 10 or 15 years. Or even this year - nothing to rule that out in terms of probabilities, even though it would be horrible.

Your thoughts?
Last edited by Giles on Mon Jan 04, 2021 11:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Do not make the mistake of giving up the near in order to seek the far.
Giles
Wuji

Postby everything on Mon Jan 04, 2021 11:36 am

Seems like WHO only has response plans for influenza for some subset of countries, not sure about other types of illness or any newer materials:
https://www.who.int/influenza/preparedness/pandemic/en/ :-\

Some countries obviously handled this one much better, partly due to previous experiences. :)

Others have had that perfect storm of idiocy-pandering-to-idiocy-as-distraction-for-oligarchy-gaining-more-wealth-and-power-while-trying-to-destroy-democracy-and-retain-power politics layered on top of multifaceted cultural inability/unwillingness to deal with things. :-\

Assuming future pandemics are global (by definition), but different countries can handle it differently, maybe policies by (more prepared) countries will need to be more strict about travel as early as possible (the ones who handled this pandemic well seemed to execute on that facet as one reason for their success). Not sure what the ones who handled it poorly will/can change.

WHO has some articles on how to handle pandemic fatigue as well.
Last edited by everything on Mon Jan 04, 2021 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby Steve James on Mon Jan 04, 2021 1:38 pm

Pandemic fatigue is unique in our lifetimes, so far. No one can predict the toll it has, or even measure it. How do we know if someone commits suicide because of isolation or a depression they always had? We need to find better ways to help people deal with depression.

Or maybe going more or less back to 'normal' for now, but when new potential pandemic pathogens emerge in the future (which they will), then responding at the national and international levels more quickly?

The only difference between a pandemic and an epidemic is the geographical spread of the infection. Nations choose to deal with epidemics in their own ways, some more successfully than others. Dealing with a pandemic requires international cooperation --because it's a pandemic. For the world to return to "normal," the rest of the world has to cooperate.New viruses will emerge. If one emerges in the Middle East, why should they inform the US or UK?

Hey, imo, stopping the spread of a virus is no different than stopping the spread of the flu, and a lot easier than stopping the spread of stds :). (That's coming from someone who lived through the swinging 60s and 70s. :). People adjust).
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby jimmy on Mon Jan 04, 2021 1:57 pm

Giles wrote:maybe there are other options?

jimmy
Wuji

Postby wiesiek on Tue Jan 05, 2021 6:17 am

I recently have discussion with guys from the Polish antycovid research center .
They advice about new mRNA vaccine is - if you can - don`t do it now. - time of research is to short, and NOBODY knows long term effect of it.
They are absolutely not anti-vacciners , by any means.

btw, I would ask - why vacciners are so angry about anti -vacciners?
If you take the vaccine you should be protected, antivacciner -not. It is his (anty) choise.
He isn`t a treat for vacciners, they are protected, aren`t they?
Last edited by wiesiek on Tue Jan 05, 2021 6:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Joyful Fruits of the Live
wiesiek
Wuji

Postby wiesiek on Fri Jan 08, 2021 3:26 am

and second btw, :
we been there already - on this photo - poster from 1963 (Wrocław ,Poland) where you can read:
people not vaccinated can`t go to the city.

https://i.iplsc.com/epidemia-ospy-we-wr ... 122-F4.jpg
Joyful Fruits of the Live
wiesiek
Wuji

PreviousNext

Return to Been There Done That