Circular punch

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Circular punch

Postby johnwang on Sun Jan 10, 2021 2:35 pm

This kind of circular punches doesn't exist in many CMA systems. Why?

Your thought?

Crow weep in the dark. Tide bellow in the north wind. How lonesome the world.
johnwang
Great Old One

Re: Circular punch

Postby Ian C. Kuzushi on Sun Jan 10, 2021 2:43 pm

An interesting way to frame the question. I have only seen these types of punches in TCMA.

Personally, I don't like them because they are too telegraphed and too much can happen from the point of departure to point of arrival.
文武両道。

Lord Li requires one hundred gold coins per day!
Ian C. Kuzushi
Great Old One

Postby johnwang on Sun Jan 10, 2021 3:00 pm

Ian C. Kuzushi wrote:they are too telegraphed and too much can happen from the point of departure to point of arrival.

What's the difference between this kind of circular punches and

- crescent kick,
- roundhouse kick,
- hook kick,
- spin hook kick?

Last edited by johnwang on Sun Jan 10, 2021 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
johnwang
Great Old One

Postby Ian C. Kuzushi on Sun Jan 10, 2021 3:11 pm

Like looping slaps (or punches), I think crescent kicks are fun, but I wouldn't try it in a fight. Of course, that's only because I have and it didn't work out that well. :)

The crescent kick is the only one in that list that I think is similar, btw. And, even there, there is a clear range difference.
文武両道。

Ian C. Kuzushi
Great Old One

Postby Bao on Sun Jan 10, 2021 3:30 pm

I've done a lot of sparring with Hunggar guys. They love to try combos with those swinging punches. But it's ridiculously easy to see them coming. I usually just give them a straight stop kick to the body to counter them. They have a very hard time to block anything while doing those circular arm swinging fists.

So, no. They look good in HK movies, but they are virtually useless to anyone with even a little bit sparring routine.
Last edited by Bao on Sun Jan 10, 2021 3:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby johnwang on Sun Jan 10, 2021 3:50 pm

Bao wrote:it's ridiculously easy to see them coming.

This is why it's better to hide the circular punches with a foot sweep. When your opponent deals with your foot sweep, he may not pay attention on your circular punches. A left foot sweep followed by a left hook and then a right hook can be a very aggressive attack.
johnwang
Great Old One

Postby .Q. on Mon Jan 11, 2021 4:45 am

These punches are in at least Choy Ley Fat, Hopgar, Tongbei, Pigua, etc. Don't think they're that rare. Strider Clark already showed a practical application.
.Q.
Wuji

Postby everything on Mon Jan 11, 2021 11:00 am

well we all probably remember this one where the girl KOs a guy who was pulling another girl's hair.

we can bet she doesn't do this circular punch from MA training - but it WORKS to great effect nevertheless. if we assume it's two guys trained and having a "duel", sure, it's different in our theoretical vacuum context.

https://metro.co.uk/2016/09/18/gigantic ... g-6135730/

youtube edit
Last edited by everything on Mon Jan 11, 2021 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby marvin8 on Mon Jan 11, 2021 12:33 pm

johnwang wrote:
Ian C. Kuzushi wrote:they are too telegraphed and too much can happen from the point of departure to point of arrival.

What's the difference between this kind of circular punches and

- crescent kick,
- roundhouse kick,
- hook kick,
- spin hook kick?

https://i.postimg.cc/dQkjCdwW/Bruce-Lee-4-kicks.gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1vqL6DDM8ec

The difference is you posted a movie (Game of Death) and demo, not a fight.

Here are videos of circular punches (not exclusive to CMA) in fights.

marvin8 wrote:Excerpts from "Sanda: When Kung Fu created a solution to its problems - then threw it away:"

Mason Zhong on Aug 5, 2020 wrote:... Hooks (including check hooks), overhands, uppercuts, spinning back fists, and superman punches are the bread and butter of Cai Li Fo (Choy Li Fut) (蔡李佛).

... For example, the Guangdong Sanda Team's style was based on Choy Li Fut: a style that contains many kickboxing techniques.

The Guangdong Sanda Team was founded by Choy Li Fut practitioner Zeng Qinghuang (曾庆煌).

At 6:42, Blake Griffin, a Choy Li Fut practitioner and coach says, "Choy Li Fut looks amazing and our forms look great. But, when you fight it doesn't look like that. ... But, modification comes in. You have to learn ring craft. ... Modifications have to happen."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UAHwzD8x97U&t=6m42s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I8OEIyTJxe8
marvin8
Wuji

Postby Bao on Mon Jan 11, 2021 12:43 pm

everything wrote:we can bet she doesn't do this circular punch from MA training - but it WORKS to great effect nevertheless. if we assume it's two guys trained and having a "duel", sure, it's different in our theoretical vacuum context.

That teasing video is different A good palm slapping knock out can surely be effective, but it's not the same as the fists in those mentioned TCMA styles. What they do in CLF, HG, PG etc is that they rotate the body 180 degrees from one side to the other with stretched arms while making circular moments. And they do this in combos, mostly three different strikes in a row while rotating almost 180 degrees for each punch. Watch the first clip.
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby everything on Mon Jan 11, 2021 2:19 pm

just trying to show a "real application" of a circular punch in a non-duel/non MA context. have no idea if those combos are useful, depending on some other context (boxing? mma?).
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby johnwang on Mon Jan 11, 2021 3:51 pm

If this clip can't prove the circular punch power, I don't know what kind of other prove do you need.

johnwang
Great Old One

Postby klonk on Mon Jan 11, 2021 8:36 pm

I have highest respect for Choy Lee Fut, but I do not use that punch. It is slow, and easily blocked, and if you look quite closely, I can punch you while you do it.
I define internal martial art as unusual muscle recruitment and leave it at that. If my definition is incomplete, at least it is correct so far as it goes.
klonk
Great Old One

Postby marvin8 on Mon Jan 11, 2021 10:08 pm

klonk wrote:I have highest respect for Choy Lee Fut, but I do not use that punch. It is slow, and easily blocked, and if you look quite closely, I can punch you while you do it.

Correct, watch the opponent. He does a left low kick (or "left foot sweep"), "left hook" or left guard pull (chase hands), then gets KO'd before the "right hook:"

johnwang wrote:
Bao wrote:it's ridiculously easy to see them coming.

This is why it's better to hide the circular punches with a foot sweep. When your opponent deals with your foot sweep, he may not pay attention on your circular punches. A left foot sweep followed by a left hook and then a right hook can be a very aggressive attack.
marvin8
Wuji

Postby Ian C. Kuzushi on Tue Jan 12, 2021 12:16 pm

johnwang wrote:If this clip can't prove the circular punch power, I don't know what kind of other prove do you need.

That's not the same punch.
文武両道。

Ian C. Kuzushi
Great Old One

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan