The Drunken Boxing Podcast #020 - James Carss

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Postby wushutiger on Thu Jan 14, 2021 4:18 am

My guest today is James Carss. James is currently based in England and has a lifetime of experience in the practice of martial arts. At the age of 12 he began his studies in Wing Chun. He then went on to study the south east Asian martial arts of Muay Thai and Silat while at the same time pursued an amateur boxing career.

He later got involved in classical Chinese internal arts and decided to relocate to Hong Kong in 2005 to pursue his studies of Chinese martial arts. He remained there for the following 11 years and primarily studied Yi Quan under Chan Tak Chuen, who was a disciple of Han Xing Yuen and he later also to study under Hui Kit Wah, who was a disciple of Han Xing Qiao and further studied Yi Quan as well as Liu He Ba Fa Quan and Yang style Taijiquan. In 2016 returned to England where he lives and teaches today.
wushutiger
Wuji

Re: The Drunken Boxing Podcast #020 - James Carss

Postby GrahamB on Fri Jan 15, 2021 7:14 am

I agree - it's a great talk. I like the fact they're talking about what training martial arts in China is actually like compared to what people think it's like.
One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Re: The Drunken Boxing Podcast #020 - James Carss

Postby nicklinjm on Sun Jan 17, 2021 12:16 am

Very nice interview, thanks for sharing Byron. Had to laugh at the story of being hit in the face by Sham Siu-po, can't blame James for sticking with Chan Tak-chuen (I have met Sham as well, but fortunately he was in a better mood when I saw him).
nicklinjm
Wuji

Return to Video Links