Leg stretching machine

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Leg stretching machine

Postby johnwang on Fri Feb 12, 2021 8:28 pm

In the past couple weeks, when I swung my leg over my head, my toes could not touch my hand above my head any more. I don't want to lose my leg flexibility that I have spent all my life to develop it. I started to use my wife 's TKD leg stretching machine daily. But since I can't pull my upper body forward, it still doesn't give me the stretching that I need.

I'm thinking about to get this leg stretching machine (since I can pull my upper body forward). Has anybody ever use this machine? What's your comment on this machine?

Last edited by johnwang on Fri Feb 12, 2021 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Crow weep in the dark. Tide bellow in the north wind. How lonesome the world.
johnwang
Great Old One

Re: Leg stretching machine

Postby Trick on Sat Feb 13, 2021 12:11 am

back in the heydays of martial arts magazines(before internet) Chuck Norris used to be in the ads for such machines, together with that his(Chuck) Action Jeans where also on the ad.....I see things has changed
Trick

Postby Dmitri on Sat Feb 13, 2021 12:07 pm

Lay on the floor, place your legs on the wall, and let the gravity and friction be these machines. For free; no equipment needed.
Last edited by Dmitri on Sat Feb 13, 2021 12:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Dmitri
Great Old One

Postby Giles on Sun Feb 14, 2021 3:30 am

Could be useful. But I think you have to be VERY careful with this sort of equipment, in which a metal frame moves your body by a mechanical process. I believe there is a greater danger of overstretching and hence damaging yourself than when you use 'just' your own body and gravity. Especially if you are driven by the ambition: 'I must get back to where I was before.' If you overdo it and tear or 'traumatize' tissues, then at the end of the day you may even end up with less mobility than before.
Still, you know your own body best, so good luck.
Do not make the mistake of giving up the near in order to seek the far.
Giles
Wuji

Postby Trick on Sun Feb 14, 2021 6:01 am

Back when I trained in karate , loads of stretching we did and one stretching exercise was using a fellow karateka acting kind of of as the devices showcased in the OP, here the human”machine’s” legs work exactly as the mechanical device number 2 however then also the partner pulls the stretch victims arms so his/hers upper body being pulled forward increasing the stretch ..
Also when legs can be sufficient spread apart have the training partner push on your back to strive for the chest to touch the floor

[Caution to be observed - always have an qualified instructor around to observe exersices being done right to prevent injury]
Trick

Postby meeks on Sat Feb 27, 2021 12:30 pm

Dmitri wrote:Lay on the floor, place your legs on the wall, and let the gravity and friction be these machines. For free; no equipment needed.

my daughter did that for her dance classes... really great results and I like how it works on letting the relaxation of the soft tissues be a part of the stretch, while I find the machines tend to cause tension in the tissues (due to ouch factor) which can lead to micro-lesions in the tissue
"The power of Christ compels you!" *spank*
now with ADDED SMOOTHOSITY! ;D
meeks
Administrator

Postby meeks on Sat Feb 27, 2021 12:32 pm

also, a lot of good stretches are based on relaxation. Get into a stretch that you're working on... and now relax and let the stretch occur. That can often be challenging as 'ouch factor' tends to cause us to stiffen up to protect ourselves from the pain
"The power of Christ compels you!" *spank*
now with ADDED SMOOTHOSITY! ;D
meeks
Administrator

Postby wayne hansen on Sat Feb 27, 2021 1:10 pm

This question emphasises the difference in understanding between internal and external more than any other I have seen recently
Last edited by wayne hansen on Sat Feb 27, 2021 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Don't put power into the form let it naturally arise from the form
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby kenneth fish on Mon Mar 08, 2021 2:07 pm

If you cannot kick overhead as high as you could before it is more likely hamstring/gastrocnemius/soleus tightness (and perhaps some adductor magnus as well). This kind of device stretches only the adductors. Learn to do isolation type stretches (like ballet bar stretches) for your hamstrings, gastrocnemius and soleus. The important point is to bend forward from the hip joint, not the back (the "hip hinge"). I am in my 60's and can still do front and side splits - I do isolation stretches daily.
Last edited by kenneth fish on Mon Mar 08, 2021 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything.
Friedrich Nietzsche
kenneth fish
Great Old One

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan