Hong Kong '80s full contact scene

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Hong Kong '80s full contact scene

Postby GrahamB on Sun Feb 14, 2021 1:43 am

Interesting video about the boom in full contact "boxing" in Hong Kong, early '80s, that got destroyed by government/triads. It could have easily evolved into an MMA scene if it hadn't been cut short.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ATxfhdr ... _4lnT9Ndkc

One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Re: Hong Kong '80s full contact scene

Postby C.J.W. on Sun Feb 14, 2021 5:42 am

Very cool.

On a side note, Kong Fu-Tak actually trained under Steve Morris and fought in the U.K. in his youth, and considers Morris his greatest mentor and inspiration.
C.J.W.
Wuji

Postby Steve James on Sun Feb 14, 2021 6:50 am

Yeah, the development to mma (i.e., more grappling) would have naturally happened. I wonder what the relation to sanda was or why they didn't combine.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby GrahamB on Sun Feb 14, 2021 10:49 am

Hong Kong was not part of China in the 1980s - still a British colony, San Da was mainland.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby Steve James on Sun Feb 14, 2021 11:16 am

GrahamB wrote:Hong Kong was not part of China in the 1980s - still a British colony, San Da was mainland.

Oh, I thought sanda was just a name for generic Chinese kick-boxing. I don't know anything about the history.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby marvin8 on Sun Feb 14, 2021 5:56 pm

GrahamB wrote:Interesting video about the boom in full contact "boxing" in Hong Kong, early '80s, that got destroyed by government/triads. It could have easily evolved into an MMA scene if it hadn't been cut short.

There is a MMA scene in Hong Kong today, though not related to triads. Sasha Palatnikov is the first fighter to represent Hong Kong in the UFC. Also, there is a UFC Performance Institute in Shanghai.

Nick Atkin 22 Nov, 2020, "UFC 255: Hong Kong’s Sasha Palatnikov TKOs Louis Cosce on dream debut in fight of the night."

Mathew Scott 1 Jan, 2021, "Hong Kong MMA fighter Ramona Pascual back at UFC Academy in Shanghai – ‘I just want to fight.’"

Chan Wai-Man (aka Michael Chan) was an actor in kung fu films, triad leader and fighter.

Hong Kong Triad Competes In Kickboxing

Fight Commentary Breakdowns
Dec 20, 2018

In this video, Rob and Jerry look at a kickboxing match by famous Hong Kong Triad member Chan Wai-Man (aka Michael Chan). Not only was he a triad, he also apparently knew Bruce Lee. Let's look at what Chan does right and what he does wrong in this kickboxing match in 80s Hong Kong. In this match, he fights against a Japanese kickboxer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yVCAGcvXfwI

Marten GO
Apr 13, 2016

Finally, the explosive interview with legendary Triad, boxer and film star Michael Chan Wai-Man has been translated to English. For those who want a clearer picture and understanding of what life was like in the 60s, 70s, 80s and 90s Hong Kong. Then imagine Bruce Lee during the last few years of his life...

Video & Translation by Marten GO.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQWb82aaOaM
marvin8
Wuji

Postby Trick on Sun Feb 14, 2021 8:26 pm

Steve James wrote:Yeah, the development to mma (i.e., more grappling) would have naturally happened. I wonder what the relation to sanda was or why they didn't combine.

Karate, tae kwon do, thai boxing were around at fragrant bay at the time. Chinese gong fu was still much invitation only, not much mixing
Trick

Postby GrahamB on Mon Feb 15, 2021 1:03 am

"There is a MMA scene in Hong Kong today,"

I know. I didn't say there wasn't.

The point the video is making is that it could have happened much earlier.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby marvin8 on Mon Feb 15, 2021 4:12 am

GrahamB wrote:"There is a MMA scene in Hong Kong today,"

I know. I didn't say there wasn't.

The point the video is making is that it could have happened much earlier.

I know you didn't. That's why I said, "though not related to triads."

I was just adding to the discussion for those whom may not be aware of the current MMA scene.
marvin8
Wuji

Postby GrahamB on Mon Feb 15, 2021 4:17 am

Problems of text communication then. You italicised "is", in the line "There is a MMA scene in Hong Kong today, though not related to triads.", which reads as you saying 'no, you're wrong there is a MMA scene..."
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby denchen on Mon Feb 15, 2021 4:54 am

short but sweet clip for anyone hasn't seen it, Dan Docherty student of Cheng Tin Hung and at the time serving in Hong Kong police force, competing in
the South East Asian full contact championship in Malaysia in 1980.
Have a nice pic of him awarding my daughter her medal at the competition he used to organise in oxford, some decent fights there too in the past.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3DL4kaox2ZY
denchen
Mingjing

Postby marvin8 on Mon Feb 15, 2021 7:14 am

GrahamB wrote:Problems of text communication then. You italicised "is", in the line "There is a MMA scene in Hong Kong today, though not related to triads.", which reads as you saying 'no, you're wrong there is a MMA scene..."

The italicized "is" is meant to be read, "For anyone that is unaware (not necessarily GrahamB), there is a MMA scene in Hong Kong today." I added, "though not related to triads," to suggest you may be aware of both MMA scenes in Hong Kong. :)

I was aware there was a Hong Kong '80s full contact scene, as I posted here:

marvin8 wrote:In 1981, Benny Urquidez takes part to an American team, headed by WKA President, Howard Hanson, during the "Road to Hong-Kong". In this city, Urquidez fights Kong Fu Tak, a local kung-fu champion and beats him before the end of the fight. It's sometimes mentioned that it was a death match. If you see the video, it is more a fight in kick-boxing style, with protections for the hands and feet and is disputed without a ring, with a referee. Kong Fu Tak will beat Billy Chow in a Thai-Boxing fight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=98aOKLKB4Lc
marvin8
Wuji

Postby Steve James on Mon Feb 15, 2021 7:52 am

A "death match" only meant that participants signed a waiver :) We had guys go to HK to compete in the 80s. C'mon, that was the era of Han's Island. It was triad times, but I think such waivers were more common than not. Advertising a bout as a death match made for bigger bets, maybe.
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby wayne hansen on Mon Feb 15, 2021 12:27 pm

The Malaysian Thai Keik Assn our parent organisation was known for producing many South East Asian Boxing Championship winners as well as taking many no holds bared challenges
Don't put power into the form let it naturally arise from the form
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby Trick on Tue Feb 16, 2021 6:17 am

Steve James wrote:A "death match" only meant that participants signed a waiver :) We had guys go to HK to compete in the 80s. C'mon, that was the era of Han's Island. It was triad times, but I think such waivers were more common than not. Advertising a bout as a death match made for bigger bets, maybe.

I though the 80’s era was the Kumite
Last edited by Trick on Tue Feb 16, 2021 6:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Trick

Next

Return to Video Links