Texas weather reminiscent of a movie

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

Re: Texas weather reminiscent of a movie

Postby Trick on Fri Feb 26, 2021 8:55 pm

. Wind turbines work in arctic conditions.
Wind turbine fields up in the very north of Sweden(Scandinavia) cause trouble for the Sami population that still lead their traditional way of life by Reindeer herding...wind turbines strike fear into the reindeers and obstructing their natural habitat severely. The Cowboys or rather Rein(deer)boys/girls of north of Sweden protest strongly to the Swedish government and plead for a stop in this wind turbine expansion in the region.
So, how’s it in Texas, does the Wind mills obstruct the way of life for the cowboys, perhaps the cows are not as easily scared by windmilling ?
Last edited by Trick on Fri Feb 26, 2021 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Trick

Postby Steve James on Sat Feb 27, 2021 7:00 am

Wind turbine fields up in the very north of Sweden(Scandinavia) cause trouble for the Sami population that still lead their traditional way of life by Reindeer herding..

Yeah, down here, many Indigenous people complain about the oil and gas pipelines that have disturbed the animal migrations, not to mention the leaks that contaminate the waters.

Anyway, afa rising gasoline prices, right, the energy companies in Texas f-up and NYers have to pay more for fuel. Seems about right. Texas makes its own oil and is energy-independent, but that apparently made no difference. True, the price of gas there is low, but big deal. In Trinidad, gas is less than a dollar a gallon. If Texans were getting energy for free, I'd be impressed.

This has nothing to do with windmills --especially since we're not talking about wind Mills anyway. Though, if the sea level rises enough, there might be a market for wooden shoes.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby bailewen on Sat Feb 27, 2021 5:35 pm

roger hao wrote:Omar is not reading correctly -

Texans pay way more for electricity than folks who get their power from regular old govt utilities. At least that's what that radical leftist publication, the Wall Street Journal says.

Texas rate 2019 average $11.67

Wow. I guess you not only suck at math, you apparently suck at English too.

I understand it's hard to stop fapping to Atlas Shrugged long enough to actually check the link, but, and this is not me, this is a direct quote from the very first paragraph of the Wall Street Journal's analysis:
Texas’s deregulated electricity market, which was supposed to provide reliable power at a lower price, left millions in the dark last week. For two decades, its customers have paid more for electricity than state residents who are served by traditional utilities, a Wall Street Journal analysis has found.

Since you apparently have trouble with words, that "its" refers to Texas. They (the Wall Street Journal), compared Texas residents getting power from privatized sources to other Texas residents getting power from traditional utilities. So even within Texas, traditional utilities have been cheaper.

But hey, you Googled "States with the highest rates", so it must be true..

But lets add research to the list of stuff you suck at. I glanced at your random list, the one with no link an no citations, so, you know, super convincing.
Just ignoring the fact that you apparently are confused by the concept of "average", California jumped out at me, probably because that's where I'm from. Yeah. Expensive electricity. You know what else is true about California electricity? It's also deregulated and mostly privatized. We get our power mainly from PG&E, a publicly traded company that has to answer to stockholders. Go figure? :P

That made me curious, so l looked it up.

Hawaii
Connecticut - deregulated
Rhode Island
Vermont
Alaska
New Hampshire - deregulated
California - dereglated
New York - deregulated
Massachusetts - deregulated
Michigan - deregulated

So that's 6 out of 10 of the most expensive states all have deregulated electricity markets.
Explain to me again how this list was supposed to demonstrate that old fashioned electricity utilities are more expensive?

I may be "talking through my hat", but you sire, to borrow one if my favorite Shaanxi colloquialisms, are about as useful as a glass hammer.
Last edited by bailewen on Sat Feb 27, 2021 5:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Click here for my Baji Leitai clip.
www.xiangwuhui.com

p.s. the name is pronounced "buy le when"
bailewen
Great Old One

Postby Trick on Sat Feb 27, 2021 7:18 pm

Steve James wrote:
Wind turbine fields up in the very north of Sweden(Scandinavia) cause trouble for the Sami population that still lead their traditional way of life by Reindeer herding..

Yeah, down here, many Indigenous people complain about the oil and gas pipelines that have disturbed the animal migrations, not to mention the leaks that contaminate the waters.

This has nothing to do with windmills --especially since we're not talking about wind Mills anyway. Though, if the sea level rises enough, there might be a market for wooden shoes.

I’ve got the impression from the thread that there are big wind turbine fields all over Texas? So it’s double trouble for the animal habitat there, Windmill fields next to fields of oil pumps ?.......

Windmill, device for tapping the energy of the wind by means of sails mounted on a rotating shaft. The sails are mounted at an angle or are given a slight twist so that the force of wind against them is divided into two components, one of which, in the plane of the sails, imparts rotation.
https://www.britannica.com/technology/windmill
in essence the same as wind turbines
Trick

Postby Trick on Sat Feb 27, 2021 7:25 pm

I imagine Texas have had those wind powered water pumps around for a long time ? And should have some experience with those and harsh weather conditions long before the modern wind turbines came in fashion. https://cn.bing.com/images/search?view= ... RPRST&vt=1
Last edited by Trick on Sat Feb 27, 2021 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Trick

Postby Steve James on Sun Feb 28, 2021 5:14 am

A windmill uses wind to mill. It's not a turbine.

I have no clue about how wind turbines are distributed in Texas. When I was there, all I saw were a lot of oil pumps. I have no plans to look it up. I know the complaint about them is that they failed. Ffs, everything failed.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby Trick on Mon Mar 01, 2021 5:49 am

Funny how suddenly with this thread, or rather the news on the power failure in Texas due to malfunctioning windmills..wind turbines...There seem to be more than usual media coverage in Swedish news on wind energy....
Sweden has set its goal to be the first developed country to go on 100percent green energy

In just a short span of time wind power turbines has gone from small scale “experimenting” to big scale planning involving big finances, and so this “green” energy expansion will see the usual land grabbing and exploitation development by big Corp . To make it profitable wind farms must be huge and plenty......
From today’s Swede news - it read that despite the energy surplus production in the very north of Sweden it is there the plan for more wind parks will be built in the near future....the arguments are that there are more “unused” land to exploit for this and also that down in the very south of Sweden(where fossil fuels energy is imported since the nuclear plants being shut down and there’s now energy shortage) protests are said to be stronger against land based wind farms. South of Sweden is big farm(agriculture)land and by so of importance for the whole country, however sea based wind farms are being considered along the coastlines of the south.

Up in the north reindeers have to make way for the “ green colonialism”, as the Sami people probably rightly call it. An issue the MSM not write about

https://www.arctictoday.com/wind-energy ... n-founder/
Trick

Postby Steve James on Mon Mar 01, 2021 5:58 am

And, I bet there'll probably be way more wind turbines in China, which is the largest global producer of them.

But, for every silver lining, there is a gray cloud.
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby Trick on Mon Mar 01, 2021 6:11 am

Yes as I wrote earlier in the thread, here in “my”Province windmills and solar cell fields are plenty, And research on these applications is a big thing here. Also an big area of research probably even bigger is on nuclear energy which is quite advanced
Trick

Postby roger hao on Mon Mar 01, 2021 8:40 am

Omar posted the absolute statement below -

Texans pay way more for electricity than folks who get their power from regular old govt utilities.

11.6 in Texas average

I posted 4 states in the GOOGLED list that are way higher than Texas -

Hawaii / Vermont/ RI / Alaska

It seems to invalidate the opening remark
roger hao

Postby roger hao on Mon Mar 01, 2021 8:47 am

Steve -

I have no clue about how wind turbines are distributed in Texas. When I was there, all I saw were a lot of oil pumps.
They are in West Texas - it is real -not mixed in with "oil pumps".
Where did you see 'a lot of oil pumps'?
The windmills are fairly obvious as they are placed on top of a ridge.
The oil wells are not on top of the ridge.
The quantity of windmills is not instantly apparent to a driver passing thru.
Texas is a big place and they are not directly on the highway -like Palm Springs.
To understand the magnitude - drive thru Palm Springs or watch a movie that
used the windmills there as a backdrop. Once you have that image in your mind
imagine Texas where there are more windmills than California

The five states with the most wind capacity installed at the end of 2019 were:
Texas (28,843 MW)
Iowa (10,951 MW)
Oklahoma (8,172 MW)
Kansas (6,128 MW)
California (5,973 MW)

Texas has no intention of reducing the wind energy infrastructure.
The idea that the windmills froze up and caused the blackout is not correct.
Grid management ( or lack of ) caused the blackouts.
Last edited by roger hao on Mon Mar 01, 2021 8:55 am, edited 2 times in total.
roger hao

Postby bailewen on Fri Mar 05, 2021 7:03 am

roger hao wrote:Omar posted the absolute statement below -

Texans pay way more for electricity than folks who get their power from regular old govt utilities.

11.6 in Texas average

I posted 4 states in the GOOGLED list that are way higher than Texas -

Hawaii / Vermont/ RI / Alaska

It seems to invalidate the opening remark

Wow. Since you apparently don't understand how numbers work, I guess you too dumb to even argue with.

Later dude. have a nice life.

I'll respond again if you actually read my last response cuz right now I can't tell if your more innumerate or illiterate, but once things for sure, yer defly disengeuous.

Life's too short
Click here for my Baji Leitai clip.
www.xiangwuhui.com

p.s. the name is pronounced "buy le when"
bailewen
Great Old One

Postby roger hao on Fri Mar 05, 2021 7:41 am

Omar I will say this as nicely as possible -

Screw you
roger hao

Postby Ian C. Kuzushi on Fri Mar 05, 2021 8:22 am

Sweeden has been doing a great job on GHG emissions since the 70-80s, and the per capita emissions are something to emulate (and pale in comparison to the US). But, they are also the fastest-growing emitter in Europe, now. I wonder what's changed?
文武両道。

Lord Li requires one hundred gold coins per day!
Ian C. Kuzushi
Great Old One

Postby windwalker on Fri Mar 05, 2021 8:39 am

@ Roger

This may help to explain what happened and why.

ERCOT has been notified by three major generation owners that their generating units will, or are likely to, encounter operating restrictions during the next several days due to various emissions and other limits established in federal permits. These units are described in Exhibit A to this letter. These units are subject to a number of environmental limitations that may restrict output.

ERCOT has been informed that the operation of gas-fired generators during the next few days could be impacted by permit restrictions on nitrogen oxide and carbon monoxide emissions, that coal-fired generators would be impacted by permit restrictions on emissions of sulfur dioxide, nitrogen oxide, mercury, and carbon monoxide, and that generation fueled by distillate fuel oil would be subject to various restrictions on operating duration and/or emissions. ERCOT has also been informed that generators of various fuel types may be subject to wastewater release limits.

ERCOT is also aware that many other generators not included on this list are subject to similar federal permit limits.

Because the output from all of the generators subject to these restrictions would help mitigate the impact of rotating outages on Texas consumers during this extreme cold weather event, ERCOT seeks an immediate order from DOE authorizing the provision of additional energy from all generating units subject to emissions or other permit limitations

http://www.ercot.com/content/wcm/lists/ ... final_.pdf

Apparently they understood the cold front coming and their limitations, requested exemptions from environmental concerns for more output with the current grid and was denied.

Regarding the use of coal fired plants, China probably has the best approach concerning transition to alternative energy sources.
Due to their System of governance, they can take a more pragmatic approach to the problem.

People often talk about coal fired plants, not understanding in China when they build them, they'er coal plants are built with the latest technology available.

There’s a technology that’s been around for a while “solid-state batteries” .
When it finally makes it to the market, should be a game changer as far as electrical energy storage capability.

So far it seems like Japan has been a leader in developing this technology with Toyota claiming to have it ready for their vehicles in 2023 or so.
Last edited by windwalker on Fri Mar 05, 2021 10:41 am, edited 3 times in total.
windwalker
Wuji

PreviousNext

Return to Off the Topic