Practical method and Wrestling.

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Practical method and Wrestling.

Postby aamc on Sun Mar 28, 2021 10:45 am

I thought this an interesting exchange. I thought there's a clear difference in the body posture and FWIW I was impressed with the Practical Method's exponents sprawl.
aamc
Wuji

Re: Practical method and Wrestling.

Postby dspyrido on Tue Mar 30, 2021 4:25 am

This is great. They are really both doing what they do from their frames.

The interesting thing to note though is that the shuaijow guy is putting himself at a disadvantage when trying to connect with the arms first & then shoot. It plays into the push hands world.

The answer to this from a western wrestling perspective is to break off & shoot below the arms.

I think this dynamic would be different & both guys would have to make changes but it would be an great to watch how they adapt.
dspyrido
Wuji

Postby taichibum on Wed Mar 31, 2021 10:48 pm

The wrestler in the video is not a Shuai Jiao guy. The Chinese at the bottom says he is a freestyle wrestler. His movement is definitely not Shuai Jiao.
taichibum
Santi

Postby dspyrido on Thu Apr 01, 2021 12:04 am

taichibum wrote:His movement is definitely not Shuai Jiao.

How so?

If he is a wrestler then why did he not touch a knee or hand to the mat when attempting a takedown. The only times he does is when he gets countered or taken down.

He never did any low singles, under arm spins, duck unders or suplexes. I don't think he even did a head or arm snap down which are bread and butter wrestling moves.

He tried to do trips and leg hooks as seen a lot more in sj & judo. Even hip throws. Wrestlers might do these moves but it's much rarer. They don't often do to hip, shoulder or headlock throws due to the danger of a suplex or being pancaked.

He even does some rou shou!

If he's a "wrestler" (ie assuming a western coach) he's not been trained by one or is choosing not to apply the basic moves.
dspyrido
Wuji

Postby yeniseri on Fri Apr 02, 2021 7:53 am

taichibum wrote:The wrestler in the video is not a Shuai Jiao guy. The Chinese at the bottom says he is a freestyle wrestler. His movement is definitely not Shuai Jiao.

The principles ancd concepts of shuai (throwing) is core but its expression depends on the skill of the practitioner!
Liuhebafa (6 combination/8 methods) is about utilitty and function within the martial space along with application (the endpoint) of that skill.

p.s. I am not talking about the art known as Liuhebafa but concepts and unity of skill within reaping/throwing/pushing, grabbing, emptying, etc
When fascism comes to US America, It will be wrapped in the US flag and waving a cross. An astute patriot
yeniseri
Wuji

Return to Video Links