Slip, Evade & Counter Punch in Taiji w/Power — Adam Mizner

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Slip, Evade & Counter Punch in Taiji w/Power — Adam Mizner

Postby marvin8 on Fri Apr 02, 2021 8:25 am

Discover Taiji
Mar 31, 2021

Teaching Moments: Sifu Adam Mizner teaches how the Taichi "Shoot Tiger With Bow" posture can be used to slip, evade and counter punch simultaneously! Would you like to slip, evade and strike simultaneously with this kind of power?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nH0-k3RQlF4
marvin8
Wuji

Re: Slip, Evade & Counter Punch in Taiji w/Power — Adam Mizner

Postby Doc Stier on Fri Apr 02, 2021 12:16 pm

What the hell happened to the other thread on this topic, and all of the pertinent posts there regarding this video?
Last edited by Doc Stier on Fri Apr 02, 2021 5:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"First in the Mind and then in the Body."
Doc Stier
Great Old One

Postby Bao on Fri Apr 02, 2021 12:25 pm

Doc Stier wrote:What the hell happened to the other thread on this topic, and all of the pertinent posts there regarding this video? That's totally not cool, man, to delete it all just because you may not like the comments! :-\

Don’t worry Doc. This is another, new video. :)

Oh and btw, ... I like traditional Tai Chi strategy better. ;)
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby origami_itto on Fri Apr 02, 2021 2:53 pm

Bao wrote:
Doc Stier wrote:What the hell happened to the other thread on this topic, and all of the pertinent posts there regarding this video? That's totally not cool, man, to delete it all just because you may not like the comments! :-\

Don’t worry Doc. This is another, new video. :)

Oh and btw, ... I like traditional Tai Chi strategy better. ;)

Yeah the other one was dealing with a grappler, this one is dealing with a striker. It's just the same people in the same place so it looks similar.
The form is the notes, the quan is the music
Atomic Taijiquan|FB|YT|IG|X|
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby Doc Stier on Fri Apr 02, 2021 3:11 pm

Sorry! My bad. I was mistaking this thread for one on The Kwoon Facebook group related to the same video. Check it out. There are a number of good comments there regarding this video clip. :)
Last edited by Doc Stier on Fri Apr 02, 2021 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"First in the Mind and then in the Body."
Doc Stier
Great Old One

Postby origami_itto on Fri Apr 02, 2021 4:28 pm

Doc Stier wrote:Sorry! My bad. I was mistaking this thread for one on The Kwoon Facebook group related to the same video. Check it out. There are a number of good comments there regarding this video clip. :)

I would but that group mysteriously vanished for me one day a couple years ago. I didn't think I was THAT rude, but Taiji people are so easily offended.
The form is the notes, the quan is the music
Atomic Taijiquan|FB|YT|IG|X|
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby Bhassler on Fri Apr 02, 2021 10:03 pm

Doc Stier wrote:Sorry! My bad. I was mistaking this thread for one on The Kwoon Facebook group related to the same video. Check it out. There are a number of good comments there regarding this video clip. :)

I'll summarize: a couple people (including Doc) mentioned that it might not be such a good idea to dodge a jab by stepping into the cross. Someone else dared to suggest that there were further issues in terms of angles, etc. That covered about 7 comments. The other 49 were talking about how that "someone else" was not internal and would never stand a chance against the Mighty Mizner, etc.
Bhassler
Great Old One

Postby Rhen on Sat Apr 03, 2021 4:55 am

Fail. let see it work in the ring in Thailand vs a Muay thai guy Adam. They have fights 4 or 5 times a week there. Adam sounded winded explaining it after his scripted demo. No cardio, no power. This guy is getting desperate. Zero fight record... fantasy and conjecture applications.
Rhen

Postby jbb73 on Sat Apr 03, 2021 7:56 am

So the basic idea he shows is okay and also found in normal boxing.
But: his partner simply hits in the air when "getting it more alive". The jab stops 30 cm before him, the cross goes much to wide to the side. So it's the usual demonstration of defending against nothing.
jbb73
Mingjing

Postby marvin8 on Sat Apr 03, 2021 1:00 pm

Bhassler wrote:I'll summarize: a couple people (including Doc) mentioned that it might not be such a good idea to dodge a jab by stepping into the cross.

He doesn't. Adam "dodges the jab" by pulling or slipping (his weight) to the back foot (slightly outside of the jab) and waits for the cross. Then, he slips to the outside of the straight right.

jbb73 wrote:So the basic idea he shows is okay and also found in normal boxing.

Yes. It's called the "cross" thrown across the jab.

jbb73 wrote:But: his partner simply hits in the air when "getting it more alive". The jab stops 30 cm before him, the cross goes much to wide to the side. So it's the usual demonstration of defending against nothing.

Yes, the partner punches blindly. A good boxer will fake the jab (yin/lure), listen (ting) for reaction (e.g., head movement) and throw the right hand (fa) to where the head moves.

Maidana does this against Mayweather here:

marvin8
Wuji

Postby dspyrido on Sun Apr 04, 2021 1:28 am

dspyrido
Wuji

Return to Video Links