Kung Fu

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Kung Fu

Postby GrahamB on Mon Apr 05, 2021 11:31 pm

Last edited by GrahamB on Mon Apr 05, 2021 11:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Re: Kung Fu

Postby Steve James on Tue Apr 06, 2021 4:39 am

The CW seems aimed at teens, but I'll check it out.

Is anyone watching "Warrior"?
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby marvin8 on Tue Apr 06, 2021 5:31 am

Steve James wrote:The CW seems aimed at teens, but I'll check it out.

Is anyone watching "Warrior"?

Me too.

Warrior Season 3 was cancelled. However, seasons 1 & 2 can be streamed.

Excerpt from "Warrior Season 3 Release Date, Cast, And Plot - What We Know So Far:"

SAM SKOPP on MARCH 4, 2021/UPDATED: MARCH 29, 2021 wrote:The first two seasons of Warrior were produced by Cinemax as a network original. Unfortunately for Warrior fans at the time, Cinemax ultimately decided to withdraw entirely from producing new TV series following Warrior's second season. Thus, it was canceled simply by virtue of a shift in network strategy. In January 2021, however, the series found new life when it was added to HBO Max's streaming library, where it remains today.
marvin8
Wuji

Postby Steve James on Tue Apr 06, 2021 5:51 am

Yeah, I caught Warrior S1 on Cinemax, and was happy when it came to HBOMax. Too bad, there won't be a third season. There's still a lot of story, and the characters are interesting.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby Steve James on Sat Apr 10, 2021 7:24 am

I watched the pilot episode of Kung Fu. I think it's fun for the usual CW watcher (who's into Flash, Arrow, etc.).
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby marvin8 on Sat Apr 10, 2021 9:14 am

The pilot was better than I expected and I enjoyed it. I was looking at the kung fu secondary to the show's role in the current Asian hate environment being the first asian family drama series on network TV (?). Hopefully the show can develop the characters into something meaningful. This is what the cast was saying as well in this interview:

Comic-Con International
Mar 26, 2021

Meet the amazing ensemble cast of The CW’s brand-new series, Kung Fu! Get to know the cast and producers at WonderCon with a sneak peek into this action-packed and culturally groundbreaking series. From Berlanti Productions and Quinn’s House in association with Warner Bros. Television, Kung Fu premieres April 7 at 8/7c on The CW.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZpVyS6P4PRQ
marvin8
Wuji

Postby Steve James on Sat Apr 10, 2021 10:13 am

It's not the first all (or predominantly) Asian cast --though it's way better than the original Kung Fu. There are some really good Asian shows, and shows with Asian characters. I wouldn't say this show represents Asians better than any of the other contemporary shows. But, I agree that in these times the more the better.

Like I said, the premise of the show is fantastic, and not so interesting; but, it's fun. Hey, I watched Arrow and Supergirl; I'm not against fantasy. I'm waiting to see Shang-Chi. The martial arts on the show are ok. I like that her ma counterpart teaches/uses taiji. It actually looked like he use some type of "press" in the fight with the baddies. Of course, that's the young-adult romantic/maybe plot element.

In the end, people won't watch because the cast is all Asian, but because the story catches the audience's interest. Afa the social climate, ime, the shows that have changed people's views have been very ordinary. Asians using martial arts in a show confirms peoples' stereotypes. It's tricky. I like Warrior (and liked the og Kung Fu) because of the martial arts.

Anyway, have you watched Akwafina is Nora from Queens?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8uK86QQ ... XPcG0cNMeH

It's a comedy.
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby marvin8 on Sat Apr 10, 2021 4:25 pm

Steve James wrote:It's not the first all (or predominantly) Asian cast --though it's way better than the original Kung Fu. There are some really good Asian shows, and shows with Asian characters. I wouldn't say this show represents Asians better than any of the other contemporary shows. But, I agree that in these times the more the better.

I don't believe there are any other Asian family drama series on network TV in the U.S. I know there have been Asian family comedy shows. However, Asian drama shows are inherently, potentially taken more serious. Like Bruce Lee, he didn't want to play the coolie. He wanted to represent the Chinese people in a more dignified way by playing a leading role and impact the western world, which he continues to do today. Bruce is not known as that funny guy. He is popular and well respected.

Steve James wrote:Like I said, the premise of the show is fantastic, and not so interesting; but, it's fun. Hey, I watched Arrow and Supergirl; I'm not against fantasy. I'm waiting to see Shang-Chi. The martial arts on the show are ok. I like that her ma counterpart teaches/uses taiji. It actually looked like he use some type of "press" in the fight with the baddies. Of course, that's the young-adult romantic/maybe plot element.

In the end, people won't watch because the cast is all Asian, but because the story catches the audience's interest. Afa the social climate, ime, the shows that have changed people's views have been very ordinary. Asians using martial arts in a show confirms peoples' stereotypes. It's tricky. I like Warrior (and liked the og Kung Fu) because of the martial arts.

Yes, it can. it depends on the direction the Asian American writing staff take it and how well they do. I go to Rotten Tomatoes to see others' opinions on the show. So far, critics ratings are good, audience ratings are low.

Steve James wrote:Anyway, have you watched Akwafina is Nora from Queens?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8uK86QQ ... XPcG0cNMeH

It's a comedy.

No. However, I have seen her in other shows and like her. She is talented and funny, like Jackie Chan.
marvin8
Wuji

Postby Steve James on Sat Apr 10, 2021 4:36 pm

I don't believe there are any Asian family drama series on network TV in the U.S.

There is a family, and with families there is also drama. This show is about the fantasy. There are actually few family "dramas" around; they're almost all family comedies.

Afa audience ratings, it's never going to be high because the family or characters are Chinese. So, it might be that people haven't watched yet.

Afa Asian stereotypes, if you can't think of an Asian drama, then try to think of shows with Asian who don't do martial arts. This goes back to Mr. Moto in movies, and Kato on tv. The good thing is that, before Kato, every Asian character was a servant who couldn't fight at all. Kung Fu was the first show where the "Asian" character wasn't a servant and wasn't servile.

Hey, I see the need for a character who fights back. Period. It makes people feel good, especially those who've been considered weak or defenseless. But, that's universal. Again, that's another reason I like Warrior, and cheer for the characters.

Akwafina was in Crazy Rich Asians, too, which was great --and didn't have any martial arts.

Anyway, I liked the fight scene when they imitated the animal styles.
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby marvin8 on Sat Apr 10, 2021 5:47 pm

Steve James wrote:
I don't believe there are any Asian family drama series on network TV in the U.S.

There is a family, and with families there is also drama. This show is about the fantasy. There are actually few family "dramas" around; they're almost all family comedies.

The only other Asian family, drama series that I am aware of, in the U.S., is "House of Ho," which I haven't bothered to watch and it's on cable TV.

Steve James wrote:Afa audience ratings, it's never going to be high because the family or characters are Chinese. So, it might be that people haven't watched yet.

Wait ... I believe audience ratings can be high, regardless of race. There are black shows that had good runs. Also, there are a lot of Asian people in the world that can relate to the show, if it is well done.

Steve James wrote:Afa Asian stereotypes, if you can't think of an Asian drama, then try to think of shows with Asian who don't do martial arts. This goes back to Mr. Moto in movies, and Kato on tv. The good thing is that, before Kato, every Asian character was a servant who couldn't fight at all. Kung Fu was the first show where the "Asian" character wasn't a servant and wasn't servile.

Well, you're talking about just characters. Kung Fu is about a Chinese family with a large Asian cast, like Crazy Rich Asians. Yes. I think I find the original Kung Fu plot more interesting, so far.

Steve James wrote:Hey, I see the need for a character who fights back. Period. It makes people feel good, especially those who've been considered weak or defenseless. But, that's universal. Again, that's another reason I like Warrior, and cheer for the characters.

Akwafina was in Crazy Rich Asians, too, which was great --and didn't have any martial arts.

Anyway, I liked the fight scene when they imitated the animal styles.

Right. Like when in Fist of Fury, Bruce Lee said, "We are not the sick men of Asia," then proved it. I agree, I liked the plot in Warrior where, in the 1800s, a Chinese martial artist immigrates to the U.S. and has to deal with discrimination and use his martial arts skill to defend himself, more realistic.

Yes, draw some people in with the martial arts. Then, get them to stay with a well written entertaining show with character development.
marvin8
Wuji

Postby Steve James on Sat Apr 10, 2021 6:53 pm

"House of Ho" is a documentary about a real family like Crazy Rich Asians. It's a reality show, not a drama.

Wait ... I believe audience ratings can be high, regardless of race. There are black shows that had good runs. Also, there are a lot of Asian people in the world that can relate to the show, if it is well done.

Of ccourse, that's what I said. Ethnicity never makes a show good or audiences watch. That was my point. And, there are white shows that have had good runs. :) I've watched.

Well, you're talking about just characters. Kung Fu is about a Chinese family with a large Asian cast, like Crazy Rich Asians. Yes. I think I find the original Kung Fu plot more interesting, so far.

It's not a show not about a family. It's about the girl and her quest, which is the only reason the family comes into play. That doesn't make the family's characters any less interesting.

Yes, draw some people in with the martial arts. Then, get them to stay with a well written entertaining show with character development.

Well, the show's name is Kung Fu, and it's not a bait and switch. If you took away the martial arts and the girl's quest, the family story could be foregrounded, but then it'd be a sitcom. If she were coming back from college, instead of the temple; and, if things at the restaurant were running well, it'd be the type of show you seem to suggest. But, it's a fantasy show with a fairly realistic family.
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby marvin8 on Sat Apr 10, 2021 8:35 pm

Steve James wrote:Of ccourse, that's what I said. Ethnicity never makes a show good or audiences watch. That was my point. And, there are white shows that have had good runs. :) I've watched.

Ok. Yes, I misread that.

Steve James wrote:

Well, the show's name is Kung Fu, and it's not a bait and switch. If you took away the martial arts and the girl's quest, the family story could be foregrounded, but then it'd be a sitcom. If she were coming back from college, instead of the temple; and, if things at the restaurant were running well, it'd be the type of show you seem to suggest. But, it's a fantasy show with a fairly realistic family.

Right, that's looks like the direction they are going in. It's a question of how much and how well they develop the subplot of family, Chinese customs, "tiger mom," gay son, etc. It doesn't have to be a sitcom. It could be a drama, depending on the writing.

The shaolin and restaurant drama is fine. They could add elements into the subplot from Ang Lee movies: Pushing Hands, The Wedding Banquet and Eat Drink Man Woman.
marvin8
Wuji

Postby marvin8 on Sat Apr 10, 2021 10:18 pm

Steve James wrote:It's not a show not about a family. It's about the girl and her quest, which is the only reason the family comes into play. That doesn't make the family's characters any less interesting. ...

Here are excerpts from a review, that addresses some of those issues better than I did.

Excerpts from "Kung Fu Is a Gripping Action Series With Family at Its Heart:"

Jessica Mason on Apr 6th, 2021 wrote:It’s a great new series that I really enjoyed, not just for the excellent action, but for the way it puts a loving and vibrant Asian family at the heart of the story.

Speaking to journalists in March, series star Olivia Liang agreed. “I think the timing of our show is really impeccable,” Liang said. “So much about representation and inclusion is not so much that we, as Asians, need to see ourselves represented on the screens, but we need to be invited into people’s homes who don’t see us in their everyday life.” As anti-Asian violence and hate continue to swell in America, a series that stars an Asian American actress and focuses on Asian stories, the way Kung Fu does, feels essential and important. ...

Showrunners Christina Kim (Blindspot) and Robert Berens (Supernatural) know that all the incredible action in the world won’t resonate as much without great characters and relationships, and that’s where I think this series really shines. Kim knows the community she’s writing about and it shows in every moment Nicky and her family are on screen. Nicky heads home to San Francisco and has to confront the fact that she essentially cut off her family for three years, and everyone has to work to repair their relationship. The Shen family is the heart of the show, and I really love every member and the actors playing them.

There are Nicky’s parents Jin and Mei-Li, played by Tzi Ma and Kheng Hua Tan, who bring so much depth and love to the characters. Jin is warm and loving and Mei-Li is the unquestionable backbone of the family. Their actors were also the only ones who had watched the original Kung Fu series in the 70s and spoke about how it was actually incredibly important to them in their youth to see Asian actors on American TV, though the show had a white lead. For Tan, the original was special to her and her family. ...

This Kung Fu is for a new generation. It’s still about standing up for what’s right and fighting for those who can’t defend themselves, but instead of focusing on a white man, it’s about an Asian woman and her family. That change is essential. Along with Nicky, in the younger generation are her tech-savvy sister Althea (Shannon Dang), Althea’s fiancé Dennis (Tony Chung), and Nicky’s pre-med brother Ryan (Jon Prasida). I don’t want to spoil anything, but Ryan is maybe the character in the series I’m most excited to get to know more, not just for his snark but because he has a plotline that I’m really interested to see develop over the series. It’s not an easy story to tell but I trust Kim and Berens with it. Chung and Dang are also great (and gorgeous) as Althea and Dennis.

But there are more complicated relationships at play here too, including what looks like the beginnings of a love triangle between Nicky’s ex-boyfriend Evan (Gavin Stenhouse), who is a DA whose help Nicky seeks out to solve Pei-Ling’s murder, and her new love interest Henry (Eddie Liu).

We are. This is the right time for a series with a majority Asian cast who are never relegated to side plots or stereotypes. They are front and center as complex and compelling characters. I am really excited for everyone to fall in love with Liang and Liu in particular, not only because I think Liu is going to be many folks’ new internet crush, but because Henry is charming and fun, Nicky is strong and interestingly flawed, and both sparkle in the fight scenes. ...

Kung Fu is both a really fun action show and also a family drama with a lot of heart about a kind of family we haven’t seen nearly enough of in television dramas. This must change, and Kung Fu is a great example of the way forward. The cast is beautiful and brilliant and the story is intriguing, and I’m really excited to see where it all goes.
marvin8
Wuji

Postby Trick on Sun Apr 11, 2021 2:38 am

So I just watched an trailer of the new Kung Fu......and compared it with the trailer of the 1972 Show......
I must say the fight action still looks cool in the old, and cooler than that in the new......
For other aspects apart from the Kung Fu fighting one probably have to watch a couple of episodes to make an clear judgement....
Trick

Postby marvin8 on Sun Apr 11, 2021 4:13 am

Trick wrote:So I just watched an trailer of the new Kung Fu......and compared it with the trailer of the 1972 Show......
I must say the fight action still looks cool in the old, and cooler than that in the new......
For other aspects apart from the Kung Fu fighting one probably have to watch a couple of episodes to make an clear judgement....

Past full episodes of the new Kung Fu can be watched for free at:

https://www.cwtv.com/shows/kung-fu/?pla ... 372097ad05

If you're outside U.S. you may need a VPN or find it streaming elsewhere on the internet.
marvin8
Wuji

Next

Return to Video Links