Happy Easter 2021

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

Happy Easter 2021

Postby Steve James on Sun Apr 04, 2021 5:37 am

Have a hopeful holiday.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Re: Happy Easter 2021

Postby Doc Stier on Sun Apr 04, 2021 7:34 pm

Happy Easter, Steve! Hope you had a beautiful day. :)
"First in the Mind and then in the Body."
Doc Stier
Great Old One

Postby Steve James on Mon Apr 05, 2021 1:36 pm

:) Thanks Doc. Life is good. This was a much happier Easter than last year.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby wiesiek on Mon Apr 05, 2021 11:30 pm

all the best,
day after,
guys
:)
Joyful Fruits of the Live
wiesiek
Wuji

Postby meeks on Mon Apr 12, 2021 7:38 am

oh this is nice :)

Happy Easter, the Goddess of Love and Fertility, whose symbols of fertility are eggs and bunnies.
"The power of Christ compels you!" *spank*
now with ADDED SMOOTHOSITY! ;D
meeks
Administrator

Postby Steve James on Mon Apr 12, 2021 9:24 am

Ya know, the current theory is that Easter comes from Eoster (a Germanic goddess of the dawn, but probably also fertility).

Easter (n.)
Old English Easterdæg, from Eastre (Northumbrian Eostre), from Proto-Germanic *austron-, "dawn," also the name of a goddess of fertility and spring, perhaps originally of sunrise, whose feast was celebrated at the spring equinox, from *aust- "east, toward the sunrise" (compare east), from PIE root *aus- (1) "to shine," especially of the dawn.

Bede says Anglo-Saxon Christians adopted her name and many of the celebratory practices for their Mass of Christ's resurrection. Almost all neighboring languages use a variant of Latin Pascha to name this holiday (see paschal).

Easter egg is attested by 1825, earlier pace egg (1610s). Easter bunny is attested by 1904 in children's lessons; Easter rabbit is by 1888; the paganish customs of Easter seem to have grown popular c. 1900; before that they were limited to German immigrants.

"Pasche" or "Pascha" (related to Passover) is what non-Anglo Germanic people call the holiday. My French friends always used to say Happy Eastern. :)
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby Trick on Mon Apr 12, 2021 11:21 pm

Steve James wrote:Ya know, the current theory is that Easter comes from Eoster (a Germanic goddess of the dawn, but probably also fertility).

Easter (n.)
Old English Easterdæg, from Eastre (Northumbrian Eostre), from Proto-Germanic *austron-, "dawn," also the name of a goddess of fertility and spring, perhaps originally of sunrise, whose feast was celebrated at the spring equinox, from *aust- "east, toward the sunrise" (compare east), from PIE root *aus- (1) "to shine," especially of the dawn.

Bede says Anglo-Saxon Christians adopted her name and many of the celebratory practices for their Mass of Christ's resurrection. Almost all neighboring languages use a variant of Latin Pascha to name this holiday (see paschal).

Easter egg is attested by 1825, earlier pace egg (1610s). Easter bunny is attested by 1904 in children's lessons; Easter rabbit is by 1888; the paganish customs of Easter seem to have grown popular c. 1900; before that they were limited to German immigrants.

"Pasche" or "Pascha" (related to Passover) is what non-Anglo Germanic people call the holiday. My French friends always used to say Happy Eastern. :)

Thanks for that explanation for the holiday name ‘Easter’.
Just yesterday I read an article about Pascha that explained the background for that holiday...
Then again as i come to think about the names Easter and Passover, well Passover sound pretty close to Pascha, ok it has more meanings to it than just an English sounding same for Pascha.
But the name ‘Easter’ I could not get my mind to figure out.

However I must correct you about Germanic cultures not using variations of the name Pascha, for example in Sweden the holiday name is ‘Påsk’ which derives from just the name Pascha.
Trick

Postby David Boxen on Tue Apr 13, 2021 7:55 am

I've never heard "Pasche" or "Pascha" before, but I can imagine it started with some non-Hebrew speakers just trying to say "Pesach" / "Pesah", which is the Hebrew for Passover.
We are not stuff that abides, but patterns that perpetuate themselves. - Norbert Wiener
David Boxen
Huajing

Postby Steve James on Tue Apr 13, 2021 8:28 am

David Boxen wrote:I've never heard "Pasche" or "Pascha" before, but I can imagine it started with some non-Hebrew speakers just trying to say "Pesach" / "Pesah", which is the Hebrew for Passover.

Well, yeah, all of them derive from the Hebrew, but they were used by Christians to denote Easter. The Greeks adopted the term; so, it's come through the Orthodox Churches. So, in Russia, Easter is Paskha. In Germany, it's Ostersonntag, but in France it's Pâques.

The mixup is primarily because both holidays (Hebrew Passover and Christian "Resurrection Day") happen at approximately the same time. I don't think it was a mispronunciation. After all, many of the first Christians were Jews who certainly knew what the word meant. More likely --as we see-- ordinary Christians never thought about the origin of the holiday's name.
Steve James
Great Old One

Return to Off the Topic