Olympic Karateka Disqualified for Kicking Too Hard

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Olympic Karateka Disqualified for Kicking Too Hard

Postby Taste of Death on Sat Aug 07, 2021 9:07 pm

Tareg Hamedi was about to win Saudi Arabia's first gold medal ever but he kicked his opponent so hard he knocked him out. Then they disqualified him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A1HQDP-tkxo
"It was already late. Night stood murkily over people, and no one else pronounced words; all that could be heard was a dog barking in some alien village---just as in olden times, as if it existed in a constant eternity." Andrey Platonov
Taste of Death
Wuji

Re: Olympic Karateka Disqualified for Kicking Too Hard

Postby Trip on Sun Aug 08, 2021 1:43 am

Trip
Wuji

Postby Steve James on Sun Aug 08, 2021 4:39 am

Yeah, that was a shame. There wsn't anything he could have done about it. I do think that the winner might feel his gold medal is a bit tainted. Usually, a match one loses is harder to watch.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby Doc Stier on Sun Aug 08, 2021 10:30 am

I experienced a similar situation in competition back in the 1970's. I saw that I was going to lose the finals match on bogus points to a guy I knew I could defeat anywhere outside of a competition venue, so I decided to knock him out. I was disqualified. I would have lost either way, but at least this way everyone who watched could clearly see who really won that fight. :o

The 'winner' approached me in the locker room later and gave me his trophy, saying he acknowledged that I was the better fighter that day, so he thought I should take the trophy home. A real stand up guy. Very cool! 8-)
Last edited by Doc Stier on Mon Aug 09, 2021 10:39 am, edited 2 times in total.
"First in the Mind and then in the Body."
Doc Stier
Great Old One

Postby dspyrido on Sun Aug 08, 2021 2:54 pm

Similar. As a late teen I was doing a point karate comp. We were about even. I did a rear round kick and connected. He fell down. I was disqualified & he got the trophy.

I think he was faking it & it worked.

I decided no more of this tip tap nonsense. I had already moved onto kickboxing & never competed in point sparring again. Happy I did.
dspyrido
Wuji

Postby wayne hansen on Sun Aug 08, 2021 5:35 pm

Knocking out someone in a point karate comp only proves that you cheated
It’s like doing a rugby tackle in a game of soccer
If you really wanted to prove you were the best you should have met him later when you both knew the rules
Who is to say he wouldn’t have knocked you out if he took the path you did
Don't put power into the form let it naturally arise from the form
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby Steve James on Sun Aug 08, 2021 6:05 pm

It didn't look at all like he was trying to knock the other guy out. It was a flick kick that happened to land. It wasn't intentional, but it was a foul.

A friend of mine was arguing that gymnastics shouldn't be in the Olympics because it's not a "sport." What he meant, though, was that it was a "competition" whose results depended on judges. I.e., in track and field, the one who runs, jumps, or throws the farthest wins. In diving, figure-skating, etc., it comes down to the judges. And, that's the problem with point fighting. In boxing, there are judges; but the fighter can win by knockout. Wrestling also has judging, but it's pins or throws can win matches --depending on the discipline. An athlete can lose by performing an illegal technique. In this case, the technique was legal, but the judges decided that too much force was used.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby Doc Stier on Sun Aug 08, 2021 8:23 pm

wayne hansen wrote:Knocking out someone in a point karate comp only proves that you cheated
If you really wanted to prove you were the best you should have met him later when you both knew the rules

Oh, well. My bad. You were no doubt a far more righteous young man in your 20's than I was during those years. Nonetheless, at the end of the day, my only loss in the competition was to the guy I KO'd. 8-) ;D
Last edited by Doc Stier on Mon Aug 09, 2021 12:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Doc Stier
Great Old One

Postby denchen on Mon Aug 09, 2021 7:43 am

The other guy may have won the Gold medal, but more useful lesson he may have learnt is the danger of dropping his hands and sticking his head forward like that.
denchen
Mingjing

Postby johnwang on Mon Aug 09, 2021 1:34 pm

Nobody talk about the red was swept down by the blue at 2.25. In MMA. the ground game already starts after that.
Crow weep in the dark. Tide bellow in the north wind. How lonesome the world.
johnwang
Great Old One

Postby dspyrido on Mon Aug 09, 2021 11:41 pm

wayne hansen wrote:Knocking out someone in a point karate comp only proves that you cheated

With that kind of thinking if say ... Italy fakes a fowl and gets a penalty to win then the other side should be feel bad.

(I pick Italy but we can insert anyone else)

For all we know the guy in the Olympics might have been carried off and sprung up and high 5'ed his coach. I know the tap I did (which btw the guy leaned into to) was not really much of a kick had him groggy until he was awarded the victory.

Kudos to him.
dspyrido
Wuji

Postby wayne hansen on Tue Aug 10, 2021 12:48 pm

I saw the tactic used in semi contact karate where you fouled early got a half point deduction
Your opponent was then not sure when they were going to get hit full force avan
This gave the transgresser a timing advantage which they exploited
Accidents happen that is not what I am talking about
It is the deliberate manipulation of the rules to gain advantage that I call out
Don't put power into the form let it naturally arise from the form
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby Bao on Tue Aug 10, 2021 1:42 pm

It is the deliberate manipulation of the rules to gain advantage that I call out

Well said. Yeah, if you don't like the rules, choose another game.
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby Doc Stier on Tue Aug 10, 2021 8:55 pm

The primary issue with light contact point fighting for most competitors during the 1960's and 1970's wasn't the rules, but rather the frequently biased and oftentimes shamefully unfair judging. :o

This was the reason why so many guys abandoned those competitions to participate in full contact karate, kickboxing, sanda, and lei-tai competitions, which usually proved to be far more satisfying fight venues. 8-)
Last edited by Doc Stier on Tue Aug 10, 2021 9:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Doc Stier
Great Old One

Postby wiesiek on Tue Aug 10, 2021 11:48 pm

denchen wrote:The other guy may have won the Gold medal, but more useful lesson he may have learnt is the danger of dropping his hands and sticking his head forward like that.

+ 1
It is so idiotic to droppin` head down in easy kicking range :o
Judges decision is unfair, when the foot is meeting dropping head, knockout is sure .
Joyful Fruits of the Live
wiesiek
Wuji

Next

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan