Sinking the Qi to the Dan Tien Training Methods

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Re: Sinking the Qi to the Dan Tien Training Methods

Postby Ian C. Kuzushi on Wed Aug 25, 2021 4:24 pm

BruceP wrote:
chinwoo1956 wrote:
Someone please, simple training methods for Chinese Martial ( Fighting ) Artists that we can all use and UNDERSTAND

Try this;

https://rumsoakedfist.org/viewtopic.php ... 75#p117091

I started doing this years ago when you first brought it up. It was way harder than I expected. I also have vertigo mixed with a fear of heights. I started on my sawhorse but it was hard for me to not be surrounded by reference points. So, I just went with closed eyes. Took a week of practice after work to be able to do it both ways (left vs right foot forward). I then started doing it in higher places at work and challenging my coworkers to do the same. Nothing deadly, but fairly high beams on playgrounds and industrial structures. I'm not sure what good it did or how much it transferred over to my practice, but it did help me hate climbing around tall things on the job. And, I'm sure it did help my balance--especially using my dantien to maintain it.

I am still grateful to Bruce for sharing this and other training methods (like skipping).
文武両道。

Lord Li requires one hundred gold coins per day!
Ian C. Kuzushi
Great Old One

Postby yeniseri on Thu Aug 26, 2021 12:13 pm

I am trying to put on my thinking cap as my memory fades but when I studied Chang Dungsheng's xinyi form and training shuaijiao, there was never talk about this "sinking qi to dantian".
I realize what the "classical" reading say this but this never happened in my training. It was rarely mentioned with my many teachers except if a student brought it up. What mattered was trainig, jibengong/conditioning, raising/lowereing body and distinguishing "full" and "empty". I have been accused of being asleep at the wheel. I don't get it. All of this fanciful stuff obfuscates vision. 8-) Jus sayin'

I am not saying "sinking qi to dantian" is useless but it has its place in actual training!
Perhaps being old and grey, with a bald head does something to the synapses of my empty brain. ;D
When fascism comes to US America, It will be wrapped in the US flag and waving a cross. An astute patriot
yeniseri
Wuji

Postby windwalker on Thu Aug 26, 2021 12:22 pm

yeniseri wrote:I am trying to put on my thinking cap as my memory fades but when I studied Chang Dungsheng's xinyi form and training shuaijiao, there was never talk about this "sinking qi to dantian".
I realize what the "classical" reading say this but this never happened in my training. It was rarely mentioned with my many teachers except if a student brought it up. What mattered was trainig, jibengong/conditioning, raising/lowereing body and distinguishing "full" and "empty". I have been accused of being asleep at the wheel. I don't get it. All of this fanciful stuff obfuscates vision. 8-) Jus sayin'

I am not saying "sinking qi to dantian" is useless but it has its place in actual training!
Perhaps being old and grey, with a bald head does something to the synapses of my empty brain. ;D

Echos, some of what has been mentioned

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3jDP3sfJCuI
Last edited by windwalker on Thu Aug 26, 2021 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
windwalker
Wuji

Postby Bao on Fri Aug 27, 2021 12:58 am

windwalker wrote:Echos, some of what has been mentioned

Yes, this is a very good video. I agree with him. You should definitely not pay too much attention or focus on the Dantian in the first few years. However, you will get a basic feeling for the dantian by ordinary practice, from relaxation and by developing a deeper body awareness.

Relaxation, finding the centreline from the ground and up, as well as basic whole body coordination should be in focus. Or as he said: "integrating the whole body".

He says something true that people focus on details and wrong things. I jumped away from Sigman's FB group for this reason, as I soon saw something similar and a lot of misunderstandings. I think I was there for not longer than a year or so. But this is just the way it is, some teachers tend to focus on details that often lead to developing external jin. They don't understand what really leads to internal skill, mostly because they are always looking for shortcuts or think that they can do things quicker and better.
Last edited by Bao on Fri Aug 27, 2021 12:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby Bao on Fri Aug 27, 2021 1:22 am

Bao wrote:
windwalker wrote:Echos, some of what has been mentioned

Yes, this is a very good video. I agree with him. You should definitely not pay too much attention or focus on the Dantian in the first few years. However, you will get a basic feeling for the dantian by ordinary practice, from relaxation and by developing a deeper body awareness.

Relaxation, finding the centreline from the ground and up, as well as basic whole body coordination should be in focus. Or as he said: "integrating the whole body".

He says something true that people focus on details and wrong things. Some teachers tend to focus on details that often lead to developing external jin. They don't understand what really leads to internal skill, mostly because they are always looking for shortcuts or think that they can do things quicker and better.
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby wiesiek on Sat Aug 28, 2021 5:30 am

worth to mention in this point:
standing still - is the main exercise, sitting meditation is supplemental.
and
follow my teacher words :
..." be aware about body`s micro-movements is the simplest way to enlightening.."
Joyful Fruits of the Live
wiesiek
Wuji

Postby GrahamB on Fri Sep 10, 2021 7:10 am

Hello fisters!

Jesse Kenkamp has done another great video on tracing the roots of Karate. Here he is with White Crane practitioner Martin Watts in Yongchun, birthplace of White Crane.

What I liked about this video is Martin's no nonsense teaching of what are generally thought of as internals and shrouded in mystery, usually by westerners using Orientalism to sell books ;)

My point in posting this is that he covers "sinking the qi to the dantien" at 4.00 - what it is and, most importantly how what it is not is just as important.

I appreciate Martin's simple, down to earth explanation.

The Most Important KATA in Karate

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0PIoTaR6Kw

One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby Bhassler on Fri Sep 10, 2021 10:02 am

Great find. Martin Watts is the real deal.
Bhassler
Great Old One

Previous

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan