kneesovertoesguy

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

kneesovertoesguy

Postby everything on Sat Nov 06, 2021 7:01 pm

some "expert" probably said don't let your knees go past your toes...
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Re: kneesovertoesguy

Postby robert on Sun Nov 07, 2021 11:23 am

everything wrote:some "expert" probably said don't let your knees go past your toes...

Some taiji master probably said that about the bow stance and then some westerner misunderstanding what was meant referenced the 1978 Duke study. The first form I learned was the CMC short form and my teacher said that. I asked how to do snake creeps down without the knee going past the toes and he couldn't answer. How do you squat without the knees going past the toes?

Looks like the knee goes beyond the toes ...

Last edited by robert on Sun Nov 07, 2021 11:43 am, edited 2 times in total.
The method of practicing this boxing art is nothing more than opening and closing, passive and active. The subtlety of the art is based entirely upon their alternations. Chen Xin
robert
Wuji

Postby Bao on Sun Nov 07, 2021 12:18 pm

Knees over the toes is the least hurtful thing you can do to your knees. And it will only hurt them if your whole weight is unbalanced and too far over the supporting leg.

Things like twisting the knees or putting the weight too far to the sides of the knees during weight transition are far worse. Sadly, almost no one teach how to really protect the knees.
Last edited by Bao on Sun Nov 07, 2021 12:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby everything on Sun Nov 07, 2021 3:05 pm

some of his prehab/rehab step 1 is basically to walk backwards (can add resistance by pushing/pulling something). giving it a try. your knee certainly goes past the toes in this backwards walk.
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Return to Video Links