Independent thinkers

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

Independent thinkers

Postby origami_itto on Tue Nov 09, 2021 9:36 pm

The form is the notes, the quan is the music
Atomic Taijiquan|FB|YT|IG|
Twitch
origami_itto
Wuji

Re: Independent thinkers

Postby everything on Wed Nov 10, 2021 10:35 am

It’s inspirational how independent and intelligent these people are.

Fuck the physicists and doctors and engineers and other folks who we thought were smart.
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby GrahamB on Wed Nov 10, 2021 1:59 pm

I always trust people shilling nonsense pills on the side too.

One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby Ian C. Kuzushi on Wed Nov 10, 2021 2:12 pm

It always struck me as funny that Rogan was any sort of spokesperson for cognitive performance products. He admits that he is a dumbass.
文武両道。

Lord Li requires one hundred gold coins per day!
Ian C. Kuzushi
Great Old One

Postby Steve James on Wed Nov 10, 2021 8:40 pm

Afa Aaron Rogers, refusing the vaccine and taking his own concoctions is fine with me. The problem is that he (and probably the team) misled the rest of the league and the players who complied --even though they might not have wanted. And, some players have refused to play (in the NFL and the NBA). So, regardless of his views on the vaccine, he should have told the whole truth. If a player on another team went home and gave the virus (Rogers tested positive for) to his parents or children, I'd bet he be pissed.

Afa doing his own research and independent thinking, he means finding someone who says something he believes. It doesn't mean he's studied virology or passed biochemistry. And, Trevor hit it on the head. On one hand, does he think he's the only independent thinker? Otoh, aren't there many people who are saying the same thing?

Anyway, afa punishment, I'd let him come back and put the vaccine in his water, but not tell him. Let him find out later.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby edededed on Sat Nov 13, 2021 9:27 pm

It's a simple test for independent thinking.

If your opinions almost completely match a certain group's opinions (especially if you identify with that group), that's a big signal that you are not an independent thinker.

The extent that most people are susceptible to groupthink is tremendous. For social people, this is especially the case.
edededed
Great Old One

Postby Steve James on Sun Nov 14, 2021 7:49 am

There's probably no such thing as "independent thinking. Independent thinkers may exist in theory, but everyone's thought can be called independent for that reason. Of course, there are geniuses, but Einstein, like Newton before him, knew his thoughts depended on the thoughts of previous generations. Even so, there are very few Einstein. There are far more people who try to prove him wrong.

Independent thinking is a euphemism for a political position held by millions --who will argue that others are just followers or sheeple. "Independent thinkers" will include people who believe in Jewish space lasers.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby everything on Sun Nov 14, 2021 11:55 am

philosophically i'd tend to agree. it's just a way for average people to say "i don't care what anyone says, I'll do whatever I want" like a toddler-adult.

someone like Einstein was presumably following his own thread of thought because some questions haven't been answered by humans. but to do that, you have to know what is the state of the art in terms of the questions and previous answer attempts. so arguably you aren't "thinking independently".
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Return to Off the Topic