Internal in a Nutshell (EPS 1 - 3) — TriEssence MAs

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Internal in a Nutshell (EPS 1 - 3) — TriEssence MAs

Postby marvin8 on Tue Nov 16, 2021 5:22 am

From Open transcript (I found the video dragging some.):

At 07:22, "Much like today we're gonna talk about the one test that you can do to see
if you are learning real internal martial arts now. … It's a very simple biomechanic observation. And when i talk about biomechanics and somebody might say no but that's not internal it's not just about chi and energy and the mind and chakra getting you energy from the universe. If you just don't believe that then quite frankly you haven't been flooded enough you can go back to your charging teacher and pay him more money or rather waste more money throw away more money and to the video and then you'll realize you know i'm actually telling you the truth. …" At 10:11, "The test ..."

TriEssence Martial Arts
Oct 12, 2021

Welcome to a new series of videos called Internal in a Nutshell, where I will try to simplify internal mechanics into its most basic components.

In the first Ep I will show you one simple way to test if you are actually doing internal, given how confusing and convoluted internal CMA communities are, this should help you weed out the frauds and fake masters, so you could save time and money to do things that's really purposeful in life.

As always constructive comments are welcome and feel free to contact me for class details in Gauteng South Africa atm, and in NSW AU in the near future.
Email : [email protected]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z3i4I5e5Dx4

TriEssence Martial Arts
Oct 30, 2021

In the 2nd episode of this series, we are going to expand on the same mechanic of shoulder opening, and use it to spot bad Xingyi practices.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A4QHyzOZNGA

TriEssence Martial Arts
Nov 4, 2021

This is a follow up to my previous video, which seem to have touched a lot of fanbois nerves. Frankly I find this whole drama lame and stupid, martial art is a practical subject, as such should be analysed with a rational and logical mind, based on practicality and laws of physics, instead a lot of people in the community treat it like a form of idol worshipping, if the said idol goes against the laws of physics, then laws of physics must be wrong, this is the exact reason why CMA out of all TMA are in general doing the worst in term of practical ability.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MFQfny5h9NI
marvin8
Wuji

Re: Internal in a Nutshell (EPS 1 - 3) — TriEssence MAs

Postby windwalker on Tue Nov 16, 2021 7:24 am

Interesting clip.

He talks about something being internal and then adjust his frame to achieve the result.
Is it the result that’s important, or the verbiage used to describe it ?

Both used as way to describe an event
Last edited by windwalker on Tue Nov 16, 2021 7:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
windwalker
Wuji

Postby GrahamB on Tue Nov 16, 2021 8:39 am

I don't think this whole idea of making a video criticising solo forms or motions in this way is a very useful thing to do. It's taking things out of context. You'd be better off looking at sparring or fighting.

Regarding Guan, I watched his 2nd video attacking Yang. There are plenty of examples of 'elbows leaving the ribs' in photos of Xue Dian, who he is using to make his point about 'elbows never leave the ribs' (in the 3rd video still) and fists 'never leave the heart':

So, I'd file that whole complaint under "meh". If the complaint is that moving the elbows away from the ribs makes it somehow not internal, then I guess the Xing Yi animals must be "not internal" based on these examples.

Logically, a rule cannot be a rule that is fundamental to the art if you are allowed to break it in the animals. Therefore, Guan's logic about this being a fundamental rule is wrong. As a guideline for where you want to keep your elbows, it's fine.

Regarding Yang - I don't think the text he's quoting really supports the idea that the phrase only refers to 'defensive postures'. And I watched his video and I really don't think he made the case very well. However, I think he could have made the case better by just saying that it's a kind of obvious thing to do when it comes to actual fighting - that would have been a better track to take. You can look at boxing as an example:

I was reading about old school boxer Joe Lewis the other day, apparently he was really big on elbows never leaving the ribs too:

https://www.facebook.com/TomYankelloBox ... 586226153/

"Arms remain close to the body, elbows tucked in just above the waistline, this protects the lower abdomen while allowing for less telegraphing motion on delivery [no flared elbows]"

Did that mean he never let his 'elbow leave the ribs' when punching? Of course not. Have a look:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-4DMPM2lns

Last edited by GrahamB on Wed Nov 17, 2021 2:53 am, edited 4 times in total.
One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby robert on Tue Nov 16, 2021 11:28 am

It seems disingenuous to me to take a single arm exercise and then use that to criticize someone's form, especially when their forms are posted on youtube. Tri-essence could easily have analyzed Yang's piquan. He says he's interested in biomechanics, but he doesn't really discuss them. SLT writes

Regardless of lifting and dropping, drilling and overturning, going and coming, it should always be that your elbow does not leave your ribs and your hand does not veer off from your centerline.

In the five fists when you drill the elbow winds inward and when you overturn the elbow winds outward. The elbow alignment changes. This seems like a fundamental of xinyi/xingyi body mechanics.
The method of practicing this boxing art is nothing more than opening and closing, passive and active. The subtlety of the art is based entirely upon their alternations. Chen Xin
robert
Wuji

Postby windwalker on Tue Nov 16, 2021 12:12 pm

covers some of the body mechanics discussed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ms3V-SITj5Q
Last edited by windwalker on Tue Nov 16, 2021 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
windwalker
Wuji

Postby everything on Tue Nov 16, 2021 1:21 pm

Didn’t read or watch but

It sounds like some non physicist

Thinks he’s qualified to talk physics

And everyone else cannot.

That alone makes me avoid the content.

Even if there are interesting critiques
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby everything on Tue Nov 16, 2021 1:23 pm

It would be nice if some self declared expert

First stated his or her position on what Sun meant by neijia

Then if they obviously don’t get it,

State why they think they are somehow more qualified than Sun

Or that they have some other definition and why and why are they qualified

Then blather all they want.

Same with physics but that’s even harder

/rant
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby Doc Stier on Tue Nov 16, 2021 1:59 pm

Generally speaking, everyone can present themselves as an expert online, but live and in person, not so much. :-\
"First in the Mind and then in the Body."
Doc Stier
Great Old One

Return to Video Links