Internal vs. external

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Re: Internal vs. external

Postby origami_itto on Sun Apr 17, 2022 9:21 am

The form is the notes, the quan is the music
Atomic Taijiquan|FB|YT|IG|
Twitch
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby Appledog on Sun Apr 17, 2022 10:02 am

origami_itto wrote:I mean that's not what I said at all lol.

What I said was that as a demonstration master Liang was playing the form about 3/4 FASTER than normal practice for his own benefit.

Sorry I made a mistake on that. In my op I used the term 'old man form', then changed it to half power because it seems to have a negative connotation in english. I used the idea of 3/4 as a convenience because it seemed to settle the issue. My point is that he was modifying his form due to his age and condition/capacity and to blindly copy that would have been a technical mistake.

origami_itto wrote:My thesis here, addressing pretty much all of your points, is that you can't know my medicine from the shape of my gourd.

You can make assumptions based on what you think you know but you can't really know.

It's been my experience I can know. But in any case, it's a real shame that we cannot meet up so easily because I really want to confer with and meet and share ideas with people now that I am in Toronto (and it has become more obvious that simply explaining things in posts isn't helping as much as I hoped). I only have about three months left here before I return to Taiwan and its a shame I couldn't mooch free push hands lessons off some of the people in the forum. On the flipside I'll probably make extra effort to sign up for some classes at Formosa's school, now that I have more time away from work. I honestly believe we are doing closer work that you realize. It's just that the focus ends up being a little different which causes us to work on different aspects of the art in perhaps different ways. But it's the same thing, I really believe that. And if it turns out we can't meet (Actually, I am planning on *maybe* visiting Steve Contes in Tampa so maybe) I will try and get some videos out by next year. I just need time to train some push hands sheep in Taiwan and I'll get those cameras rolling.
Last edited by Appledog on Sun Apr 17, 2022 10:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Appledog
Wuji

Postby origami_itto on Sun Apr 17, 2022 10:06 am

Yes, let's meet and touch some time some how some way. I love getting my ass kicked.

I'm going to make that a priority over the next few years. It's time.
The form is the notes, the quan is the music
Atomic Taijiquan|FB|YT|IG|
Twitch
origami_itto
Wuji

Previous

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan