Which workout will give you better health benefit?

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Re: Which workout will give you better health benefit?

Postby everything on Sun Apr 17, 2022 1:34 pm

johnwang wrote:
everything wrote:Walking seems ideal for them if they can do it. MA drills probably sound unrealistic.

But walking is only good workout for the legs. The upperbody workout is still needed.

I don't know what "normal people" will be willing to do. My mom, for example, walks and also does "golden rooster stands on one leg". So she somewhat follows this "baguazhang" kind of template.

In theory, something like yoga sun salutation would add some upper body and core workout. She doesn't do that, but I don't know if other "normal people" might be willing.

By 2030, all baby boomers will be 65+. Maybe 70 million people. Approximately 1/5 of the USA population. What should they do? If there are some tai chi or yoga teachers here who want to target baby boomers, you have a large potential market...
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby johnwang on Sun Apr 17, 2022 2:51 pm

everything wrote:I don't know what "normal people" will be willing to do. My mom, for example, walks and also does "golden rooster stands on one leg". So she somewhat follows this "baguazhang" kind of template.

The "3 rings catch the moon" can be a good upper body workout. It looses up the shoulder joints. It also opens the lung.

Crow weep in the dark. Tide bellow in the north wind. How lonesome the world.
johnwang
Great Old One

Postby everything on Sun Apr 17, 2022 3:47 pm

I wish I could convince my mom to do something like that
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby johnwang on Mon Apr 18, 2022 6:11 pm

When you get old, you don't train MA for fighting. You train MA for fun and health.

As long as you can still swing your leg behind and remain good balance, you will never be old.

johnwang
Great Old One

Postby origami_itto on Tue Apr 19, 2022 5:36 am

So I think Wayne actually gave the correct answer in the other thread.

For absolute best health results, start your morning with your taijiquan jibengong and forms, that will set your energy up for the whole day.
Throughout the day you move with the same kind of intention and engine and take some time out to dedicate to some more exercises.
The form is the notes, the quan is the music
Atomic Taijiquan|FB|YT|IG|X|
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby johnwang on Tue Apr 19, 2022 1:07 pm

If you can do this side stretch kick, leg lift combo daily, you will never feel old. IMO, this is the best workout for older people.

Side stretch kick:

Leg lift:

Last edited by johnwang on Tue Apr 19, 2022 1:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
johnwang
Great Old One

Postby SCMT on Wed Apr 20, 2022 10:09 am

johnwang wrote:Let's compare the following 2 different workouts. Which one will give you better health benefit? Assume both workouts will take 1 and 1/2 hour.

1 - Repeat your CMA form N time non-stop for 1 and 1/2 hour.

2 - Walk for 1 and 1/2 hour (a bit over 3 miles). While you are walking, you can drill your punch combos, kick combos, throw combos, kick/punch combos, ... at the same time.

Example of

punch combo - hook punch, back fist, over hand.
kick combo - front kick, roundhouse kick, side kick.
throw combo - foot sweep, inner hook, outer hook.
kick/punch combo - groin kick, face punch, hammer fist.

When I try method

- 1, I find out that I don't have enough motivation to do my form non-stop for 1 and 1/2 hour.
- 2, since I have to cover the 3 miles distance, I have no option but keep going until I finish my workout.

So method 2 is easier for me to do daily. Which method do you prefer?

Wouldn't this depend on which CMA you train; Baji, Taiji, Changquan, etc.
Train with intent
SCMT
Anjing

Postby johnwang on Wed Apr 20, 2022 11:12 am

SCMT wrote:Wouldn't this depend on which CMA you train; Baji, Taiji, Changquan, etc.

When you repeat Taiji separete legs while you are walking, how do you know that you are doing Taiji or long fist? What's the difference between taiji front kick and long fist front kick?

johnwang
Great Old One

Postby SCMT on Wed Apr 20, 2022 12:40 pm

Nothing personal, but based on my background, that is not good taijiquan. It is however real close to a long fist. To extended to taijiquan, with the exception of possibly Southern Wu style, that's how I know
Train with intent
SCMT
Anjing

Postby origami_itto on Wed Apr 20, 2022 1:34 pm

johnwang wrote:
SCMT wrote:Wouldn't this depend on which CMA you train; Baji, Taiji, Changquan, etc.

When you repeat Taiji separete legs while you are walking, how do you know that you are doing Taiji or long fist? What's the difference between taiji front kick and long fist front kick?

Well a Taijiquan kick would be performed using Taijiquan mechanics, I think that's the primary difference.
The form is the notes, the quan is the music
Atomic Taijiquan|FB|YT|IG|X|
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby yeniseri on Wed Apr 20, 2022 10:09 pm

1. I do partial postures based on my former changquan experience, from what I remember
2. Lamaxiaquan: upper body lower body synchronization. Again postureal elements of upper body/lower body integration
3. 2-3 miles walk to get rid of my big belly COVID inactivity in conjunction with below
4. Shuaijiao postuers that I remember
a. Diagonal pulling
b. Diagonal FLhying
c Forward kick,
d. side kick,

Not training with anyone. Just keeping the abdominal adiposity at bay ;D
When fascism comes to US America, It will be wrapped in the US flag and waving a cross. An astute patriot
yeniseri
Wuji

Postby wayne hansen on Thu Apr 21, 2022 12:09 pm

If the correct things are not in your daily training your training might be missing something
Saying that walking is great
I have older and young people ask me to teach them all the time
They are the ones who walk past me daily
I tell them walking is the king of exercises
When I went to the gym I use an orbital walking machine daily
You could adjust the length and height of the stride
I would start off small and each 10 minutes I would go up one notch out then up
It was great
Don't put power into the form let it naturally arise from the form
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby johnwang on Thu Apr 21, 2022 12:09 pm

When I'm in Austin, Texas, I like to do my walking in this trail.

When I'm in Pismo Beach, California, I like to do my walking on the beach.

johnwang
Great Old One

Postby cloudz on Thu Apr 21, 2022 1:19 pm

johnwang wrote:Let's compare the following 2 different workouts. Which one will give you better health benefit? Assume both workouts will take 1 and 1/2 hour.

1 - Repeat your CMA form N time non-stop for 1 and 1/2 hour.

2 - Walk for 1 and 1/2 hour (a bit over 3 miles). While you are walking, you can drill your punch combos, kick combos, throw combos, kick/punch combos, ... at the same time.

Example of

punch combo - hook punch, back fist, over hand.
kick combo - front kick, roundhouse kick, side kick.
throw combo - foot sweep, inner hook, outer hook.
kick/punch combo - groin kick, face punch, hammer fist.

When I try method

- 1, I find out that I don't have enough motivation to do my form non-stop for 1 and 1/2 hour.
- 2, since I have to cover the 3 miles distance, I have no option but keep going until I finish my workout.

So method 2 is easier for me to do daily. Which method do you prefer?

2 points really about this post stand out to me. firstly motivation in terms of enjoyment is one factor, the other is factor of "better health benefit". As the exercises are similar, as long as the intensity is matching the health benefit is the same. The better choice is the one you enjoy, as the benefits are similar, the mental benefit of 'fun' and more consistency and better motivation make it a no-brainer if you make it a black and white choice. Looking at these personally I would do half hour of each if just considering health as a matter of exercise intensity as you seem to be. Form would be my favourite and i quite like walking. I wouldn't do the other one, I would just drill combos/ shadow box with footwork.

From that I would say, I'd change the walking to a jog/run for myself as that would be my minimum for exercise intensity. I walk to get out into a park and nature, breathe, contemplate that kind of thing.. For the physical systems the exercise intensity of these is the main factor so these 3 activities can be varied from jog pace to sprint pace.

A while back I did a particular walking meditation for a while and it was pretty great, it involved observation and memory recall. I mention it as for me walking although nice for physical and mental health/ wellbeing, is also (for me) a more suitable vehicle for other things. More like slow form in that sense..
Regards
George

London UK
cloudz
Great Old One

Postby johnwang on Sun May 01, 2022 1:45 pm

I did my 3 miles walking with 560 kicks yesterday. I felt a bit tired afterward. Today, I will do my 3 miles walking with 1680 punches instead.

For me, to kick 560 times is harder than to punch 1680 times. But I can not workout my single leg balance and flexibility through punch only.

I start to understand why some people may call "less kicking MA" as "lazy person's MA". When your both feet are on the ground, you are not developing your balance to the maximum.

The other day when I did my kick and punch combo while I was walking, someone asked me what MA system that I was training. I told him that I just did kick and punch, and I was not training any MA system. I like my "no style boundary" approach.
johnwang
Great Old One

PreviousNext

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan