Yang Cheng Fu (New Frame) Taiji Form Applications — Gary Gee

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Yang Cheng Fu (New Frame) Taiji Form Applications — Gary Gee

Postby marvin8 on Mon Apr 18, 2022 8:24 am

Gary Gee
Apr 7, 2022

Yang Cheng Fu's (New Yang) form was a modification of his grandfather's (Yang Lu Chan) form.

Practitioners of the Old Frame (Yang Lu Chan's form) will notice that various "fajing" strikes were taken out of the original form.

In this video, Gary Gee demonstrates some applications from Yang Cheng Fu's form. (Additionally, some comparing and contrasting between the two forms will be discussed.)

Gary Gee teaches in Southern California. He is a WTBA (World Taiji Boxing Association) certified instructor.

Gary Gee studied Ng Ga Kuen (Five Family Style) from Grandmaster Wong Ark Yuey (1968 - 1973)

Gee then studied Hakka Unicorn Boxing; Sil Lum Fut Ga; and Yang Tai Chi Chuan from Grandmaster Ralph Shun (1975 - 2002).

Sifu Gary Gee teaches in Southern California.

[email protected]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k1Zgr6S-X4I

Gary Gee
Apr 7, 2022

Review of Wong Ku Fat's Hakka Unicorn System

Wong Ku Fat was a legendary "street fighter" and kung fu instructor of the early 20th century. His system consisted of a "handful" of methods. These "few" methods were combined into various combinations designed for practical street usage. Wong, being a merchant marine by trade, traveled the world and tested his skill in the various bars and back alleys of Europe and Asia.

According to one of his first-generation students (from the 1950s), Wong Ku Fat kept a notebook recording his 500+ street fights. He kept notes of each encounter throughout his years of fighting. Apparently, after each fight, he distilled his method until he reached a point of having at his arsenal about a handful of combinations.

Gary Gee studied Wong Ku Fat's Unicorn method from Grandmaster Ralph Shun. Shun was a first-generation student of Wong Ku Fat in the 1950s. At that time, Chinese Kung Fu masters in Honolulu's Chinatown ran "private clubs". Non-Chinese were barred admission. The vetting process included bringing your family tree and confirming the “pure” Chinese line.

Gee studied with Grandmaster Wong Ark Yuey (Ng Ga Kuen) from 1968 to 1973.

From 1975 to 2002, Gary Gee studied with Grandmaster Ralph Shun. From GM Shun, Sifu Gee learned: Wong Ku Fat's Hakka Unicorn System; Lum Dai Yong lineage Sil Lum Fut Ga; Ng Ga Kuen Applications and Yang Tai Chi Chuan.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lBALixAYeRI
marvin8
Wuji

Re: Yang Cheng Fu (New Frame) Taiji Form Applications — Gary Gee

Postby origami_itto on Mon Apr 18, 2022 8:30 am

WHY DOES HE HAVE TO TALK SO LOUD?
The form is the notes, the quan is the music
Free Tai Chi Classes
Atomic Taijiquan|FB|YT|Twitch
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby origami_itto on Mon Apr 18, 2022 8:42 am

But naw, fam. This ain't it.
Free Tai Chi Classes
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby origami_itto on Mon Apr 18, 2022 8:47 am

Like here, the way he falls into his first step.
I have no idea who this dude is but his push hands is likely shit.
https://youtu.be/AJYlgq8mzV4?t=46
Last edited by origami_itto on Mon Apr 18, 2022 8:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Free Tai Chi Classes
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby Doc Stier on Mon Apr 18, 2022 10:17 am

Yang Cheng-Fu's standard form was officially presented in his book as the 'Modified Large Frame 85 Forms Yang Style TCC'.

Within the worldwide TCC community, the terms 'new frame' and 'old frame' are generally associated only with the 'xinjia' and 'laojia' versions of Chen Style TCC. I have previously never heard YCF's form referred to as 'new frame'. Just saying.
"First in the Mind and then in the Body."
Doc Stier
Great Old One

Postby wayne hansen on Mon Apr 18, 2022 12:18 pm

He learnt from erls films
Enough said
Don't put power into the form let it naturally arise from the form
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby Bob on Mon Apr 18, 2022 1:32 pm

Louis Swaim's translation Fu Zhongwen's book has eyewitness account of Yang Chengfu expressing fa jin in a public demonstration of the form in Shanghai
Bob
Great Old One

Postby Bao on Mon Apr 18, 2022 2:38 pm

His apps look extremely basic, rudimentary. What he writes about himself is the interesting part.

wayne hansen wrote:He learnt from erls films
Enough said

Could be so. Looks like he tries to mimic his expression.
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby wayne hansen on Mon Apr 18, 2022 5:17 pm

Pretty sure I remember him saying it somewhere
If that’s where his stuff comes from it matters little who he trained with before because he learnt nothing
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby Bob on Tue Apr 19, 2022 7:27 am

Not my intent to assess the fajin expression but it has always been in the Yang Chengfu line and therefore arguing that Yang Chengu removed fajin expression from his forms if not accurate - it may be more accurate to say that it is not likely taught publicly

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ff64ZBnj9MA

Fu Zhong Wen, 1987, at age 85, performing Yang Family Tai Chi Fa Jin drills. Even at this advanced age he still demonstrates superior power and speed to players 60 years younger. These training methods have been handed down through 5 generations of the Yang Family.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qcy_3J4KMwM

Tai Chi Long Spear (Da Gun) Fu Sheng Yuan

Yongnian Yang taiji spear

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O7-TCotquKU

Part of the Yang spear form demonstrated in Yongnian, 2005. You need strength to do this! For more, see http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ksBEl9...

Last edited by Bob on Tue Apr 19, 2022 7:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bob
Great Old One

Postby origami_itto on Tue Apr 19, 2022 7:35 am

Bob wrote:Fu Zhong Wen, 1987, at age 85, performing Yang Family Tai Chi Fa Jin drills. Even at this advanced age he still demonstrates superior power and speed to players 60 years younger. These training methods have been handed down through 5 generations of the Yang Family.

You never see anybody hitting anything with that stuff, do you?

I believe that the more advanced Yang players have a bit different understanding of what fajin means than Fu Sifu is expressing here.
Free Tai Chi Classes
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby Kelley Graham on Tue Apr 19, 2022 9:47 am

Bob wrote:
Yongnian Yang taiji spear

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O7-TCotquKU

Part of the Yang spear form demonstrated in Yongnian, 2005. You need strength to do this! For more, see http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ksBEl9...

Right knee, ouch. Please don't imitate that bit. As for fajin, the knee collapse breaks continuity, so no fajin. I do a heavy weapons routine and one exercise is with the waxwood pole. For pole training to be useful for fajin, the oscillation of the spear during changes must be incorporated into the movements. When I train, the outer structure must become transparent to the pole vibrations to condition the inner structure. Later the inner structure initiates the pole changes. For me, this helps clearly distinguish 'outside-in training from inside-out'. I find this principle and methodology true for all weapons training. However, one must seek subtlety as well as power.
Last edited by Kelley Graham on Tue Apr 19, 2022 9:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kelley Graham
Website - https://ucbprogram.com
Follow - https://ucb.social/@imklg
Kelley Graham
Administrator

Postby Bob on Tue Apr 19, 2022 9:48 am

For the record, that is the video's caption and not anything I wrote.

However, many years back I had a direct experience with one of the lineage Yang Chengfu holders and was shown the importance of palm usage and finger/hand training for Dian Xue - Fu Zhongwen is considered an advanced Yang practitioner but I make no judgment of what he shows or the extent or depth of his practice - there are a lot of politics played out in that lineage as there are in many lineages.
Last edited by Bob on Tue Apr 19, 2022 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bob
Great Old One

Postby Bob on Tue Apr 19, 2022 10:31 am

@Kelly Graham

Agree - too heavy of a spear - lots of arms & shoulders - not integrated full body expression

In bajiquan we use differently weight qiangs for different drills - hei yao, bai yao would be a heavier qiang then for the other drills we use - the tapering of the qiang is one way we assess the body movement of the practitioner.

Posted only to convey that some formal Yang Chengfu practitioners have the qiang training and employ fajing expression in their practice - it was not removed as stated by the initial video - many do that and there is reason for that belief as not everything taught in the Yang Chengfu lines is shown or taught publicly
Last edited by Bob on Tue Apr 19, 2022 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bob
Great Old One

Postby wayne hansen on Tue Apr 19, 2022 1:46 pm

We have 5 pole forms
The second two are a san shou form where fa Jin is applied and borrowed
We have the 8 movement spear
First 4 are sticky spear
Second 4 are shakey spear which applies fa Jin
I learnt the spear from master Mak who learnt them from YCF
Not sure of the origin of the pole but it is widely practiced in Penang
It is called Feng Yuan pole
I really haven’t taught it much because people find the angles and energies hard to understand
I teach it mainly as short sets of two or 3 movements
When I see most people doing pole shaking I often think they could get much better training with weights
wayne hansen
Wuji

Return to Video Links