Sifu Wayne broadsword

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Re: Sifu Wayne broadsword

Postby Michael Babin on Sun May 08, 2022 10:19 am

That old clip shows a solo exercise and illustrates potential usage. Wayne's performance of the solo part of that old clip shows a lot of the handling skills and weapon control that were/are considered valid when using that metal weapon and I learned similar drills from various teachers. A very credible demonstration to my eyes.

Light metal weapons were the only things available in those days except to collectors. In training it is always good to work with a variety of weights and balances of weapon as it gets the hands and body used to not depending on a particular -- a favoured -- weapon.

Using just about any basic application with a broadsword would get you killed in a fight with weapons against a more experienced fighter, if that's all you've ever practised. Such "theoretical usage" if that's what you call a basic application is only a starting point for exploring two-persons sets and then free-style sparring. Even all of that is a pale reflection of real combat with broadswords; male fantasies aside, those fights and battles would have been more lessons in butchery than anything else.
Last edited by Michael Babin on Sun May 08, 2022 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
My Website [with a link to my Youtube Channel] https://sites.google.com/view/mbtaiji/home
Michael Babin
Wuji

Postby windwalker on Sun May 08, 2022 10:35 am

The weight of a weapon is very important as it contributes to body timing and type of movement.

combat weapons were heavy, not flexible at all.

Changes any type of app. work....

If something is to light as wushu weapons for example,
lots of movements can change due to the weight and flexibility if one is not carful.... :P

some of my friend's,

Last edited by windwalker on Mon May 09, 2022 1:39 pm, edited 6 times in total.
windwalker
Wuji

Postby origami_itto on Sun May 08, 2022 10:56 am

Michael Babin wrote:That old clip shows a solo exercise and illustrates potential usage. Wayne's performance of the solo part of that old clip shows a lot of the handling skills and weapon control that were/are considered valid when using that metal weapon and I learned similar drills from various teachers. A very credible demonstration to my eyes.

Light metal weapons were the only things available in those days except to collectors. In training it is always good to work with a variety of weights and balances of weapon as it gets the hands and body used to not depending on a particular -- a favoured -- weapon.

Using just about any basic application with a broadsword would get you killed in a fight with weapons against a more experienced fighter, if that's all you've ever practised. Such "theoretical usage" if that's what you call a basic application is only a starting point for exploring two-persons sets and then free-style sparring. Even all of that is a pale reflection of real combat with broadswords; male fantasies aside, those fights and battles would have been more lessons in butchery than anything else.

The way I was taught to approach applications is assume everything is countered. You're then examining how the series of techniques might be applied theoretically.

This "okay now stop and freeze white I do five moves around you" stuff is just wishful thinking in my opinion, not good training with a weapon.

Particularly when the point they stop you at is literally already checkmate.

Now that sequence RESEMBLES a good tactic but there is a critical error that if corrected actually makes it useful, so I feel like it would make for a much better application idea.

And yes I agree about the butcher shop nature of melee combat. I fought in many SCA field battles and resurrection battles and have died gloriously.

Just like Normandy, your chances of survival are more about group tactics, troop formation, and blind luck then particular skill with a weapon.

Which doesn't mean you should train stupid or useless habits that will help your enemy kill you.
The form is the notes, the quan is the music
Atomic Taijiquan|FB|YT|IG|X|
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby wayne hansen on Sun May 08, 2022 12:31 pm

Don’t know how much it weighed but it wasn’t a Wu Shu blade
I had used a very heavy blade for years that most couldn’t lift
I stopped using it because it started to dislodge my vertabra
It was either that or start doing it both hands

Thé still picture gives a false idea I am touching the blade
I am not
The block is completed and I am travelling to the arm

That month Tony Dieago (kali Illustrisimo) and Edgar Sulite(Lameco) had just invited me to join the Babbakan and display it’s symbol on my uniform
At that time no other non Phillipino had been given that honour
Bakbakan was a street fighting group
I don’t think they wanted me for that purpose though
They had no problems with my use of the blade

Pity the soundtrack is missing
I was leaving the city and a student turned up with a camera to record stuff for their further training
I explain how the basic exercise can be used both against a stick and a blade
I must admit some of my Banda Yi Banda moves on the horizontal are a bit sloppy
Don't put power into the form let it naturally arise from the form
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby wayne hansen on Sun May 08, 2022 1:46 pm

I don’t use the title Sifu find it a bit hokey
With regards to counter for counter I do that in the broadsword san shou and numerous FMA with live blades
Realise I was explaining a basic drill not doing two man applications there
I wouldn’t post any of this stuff it is so far in the past I thought I would never see it again
Last edited by wayne hansen on Sun May 08, 2022 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Don't put power into the form let it naturally arise from the form
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby origami_itto on Sun May 08, 2022 2:43 pm

Yeah I mean I wouldn't say anything about the quality of your knowledge or ability, just that in that particular incidence, the edge awareness is lacking, that's all :D

It was fun to work on some counters from that position.
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby origami_itto on Sun May 08, 2022 8:39 pm

And what's more, my five year daughter saw me playing with the sword today and drew a picture.

origami_itto
Wuji

Postby GrahamB on Mon May 09, 2022 3:28 am

Nice rounding of the kua.
One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby everything on Mon May 09, 2022 6:59 am

good smile
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby windwalker on Mon May 09, 2022 1:41 pm

My friend Arthur's collection in the US.

Long time practitioner of tai mantis
One of his noted teachers Wong Jack Man....

We often talked about the way of modern practices, compared to old based on the
weapons of the day, weight, construction, and balance points..

With real combat weapons of old, the usage / movement is different....

One of his hobbies collecting old CMA weapons used back in the day,
the collection sometimes displayed in museums in the US and other countries

Some of Arthur's work when he was much younger

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QYRKCdrXqUg
Last edited by windwalker on Mon May 09, 2022 10:00 pm, edited 9 times in total.
windwalker
Wuji

Previous

Return to Video Links