Positioning for Tai Chi Fighting Applications: Clear Tai Chi

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Positioning for Tai Chi Fighting Applications: Clear Tai Chi

Postby marvin8 on Tue May 10, 2022 5:22 am

Clear's Internal Combat Arts
Mar 25, 2022

Clear Tai Chi Regional Organizer Mark Michaud leads our discussion on Positioning for Tai Chi Fighting Applications. He will be giving a presentation on this subject at the Clear Tai Chi Family Gathering, June 3-5, 2022 in Maryville, TN.

For more on the Clear Tai Chi Family Gathering: https://taichigathering.com/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JrluIZa4qPk
marvin8
Wuji

Re: Positioning for Tai Chi Fighting Applications: Clear Tai Chi

Postby SCMT on Tue May 10, 2022 7:01 am

I will admit I did not watch the video, but I am not a Fan of Clear. Meant him a couple times and had a discussion once with one of his people as to Clear calling himself Shigung..... which does not mean "Grandmaster" it means "Teacher's teacher" thereby saying he taught his teacher who taught him..... I was told I don't understand the meaning and his usage...to which I said I do know how he is using it. He is using it wrong. Conversation ended..He also did not impress me. Not doubting his effectiveness, seriously doubting his understanding of Taijiquan and XIngyiquan
Train with intent
SCMT
Anjing

Postby C.J.W. on Tue May 10, 2022 7:48 am

He's a Silat guy, period.
C.J.W.
Wuji

Postby marvin8 on Tue May 10, 2022 11:05 am

SCMT wrote:He also did not impress me. Not doubting his effectiveness, seriously doubting his understanding of Taijiquan and XIngyiquan

I have a similar impression. A good topic. However, the OP discussion may be an ad for his upcoming "Family Gathering."

My understanding, in general, is the guard (previous topic) and positioning should change depending on opponent's position and distance. Hand/guard positions close the line(s) of attack from opponent's hands and feet (e.g., Byron's Xingyi). Control opponent with superior position (e.g., angles, make opponent turn, etc.), distance, etc.

Some Clear videos, when searching positioning.

Clear's Tai Chi
Aug 2, 2013

Learning to use your Tai Chi postures to control the space between you and an attacker is a very important part of learning to fight with Tai Chi.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3onaawH27RM

Clear's Tai Chi
Jan 4, 2012

This is the primary fighting stance of Tai Chi Chuan for self defense. This move is often called "Rise & Fall" or "Place Hands on Jade Table" and it is one of the first movements in most Tai Chi sets.

Learn may more ways to use this movement including: Fa Jing, Dim Mak, Poison Hand and more street applications on Clear's Combat Tai Chi Vol 2: Rise and Fall

http://www.clearstaichi.com/tai-chi-d...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MzZZ1ZpFEz0
marvin8
Wuji

Postby Bhassler on Tue May 10, 2022 8:39 pm

C.J.W. wrote:He's a Silat guy, period.

I don't think that he could properly be called a Silat guy, either. More like someone who spent various amounts of time with different guys who either could fight or had a reputation as someone people thought could probably fight, and based on whatever he got from each of them, put together his own method.

As for the OP, I'm not sure the benefit of a bunch of guys talking about positioning for over an hour when at no time does anyone actually get off their chair and show anything.
Bhassler
Great Old One

Postby SCMT on Wed May 11, 2022 1:30 pm

I just know, after talking with him and then seeing him run out on an opportunity to do push hands with Wang Rengang with the old "Oh is that the time, I gotta go" followed by an immediate exit stage left. I was wholly unimpressed. But hey, I got to do push hands with Wang, so it was not all bad.

Talk to Ken Gullette about him sometime, get another good POV there too
Last edited by SCMT on Wed May 11, 2022 1:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Train with intent
SCMT
Anjing

Postby Formosa Neijia on Fri May 13, 2022 8:04 am

SCMT wrote:I just know, after talking with him and then seeing him run out on an opportunity to do push hands with Wang Rengang with the old "Oh is that the time, I gotta go" followed by an immediate exit stage left. I was wholly unimpressed.

Well here he is doing push hands. He seems unfamiliar with the practice, to be honest. I wonder if it's hard to find training partners where he's at.
Time to put the QUAN back in taijiQUAN. Time to put the YANG back in YANG style taiji.
Formosa Neijia
Great Old One

Postby C.J.W. on Sat May 14, 2022 6:01 am

Bhassler wrote:
C.J.W. wrote:He's a Silat guy, period.

I don't think that he could properly be called a Silat guy, either. More like someone who spent various amounts of time with different guys who either could fight or had a reputation as someone people thought could probably fight, and based on whatever he got from each of them, put together his own method.

As for the OP, I'm not sure the benefit of a bunch of guys talking about positioning for over an hour when at no time does anyone actually get off their chair and show anything.

True. I guess I should've said that his main art is obviously Silat. He seems to have started out under Uncle Bill and slowly umm......shall we say "branched out" over the years.

Btw, he's practically Kevin Bacon's twin brother. If I were him I'd consider quitting my day job and become KB's stunt double. ;)
C.J.W.
Wuji

Postby SCMT on Sat May 14, 2022 7:01 am

Formosa Neijia wrote:
SCMT wrote:I just know, after talking with him and then seeing him run out on an opportunity to do push hands with Wang Rengang with the old "Oh is that the time, I gotta go" followed by an immediate exit stage left. I was wholly unimpressed.

Well here he is doing push hands. He seems unfamiliar with the practice, to be honest. I wonder if it's hard to find training partners where he's at.

Well, he sure ran away from Wang Rengang
Train with intent
SCMT
Anjing

Return to Video Links