Ting Jin (Listening), Pts. 1 & 2 — Clear Tai Chi

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Ting Jin (Listening), Pts. 1 & 2 — Clear Tai Chi

Postby marvin8 on Fri Aug 05, 2022 7:05 am

Clear's Internal Combat Arts
Jul 29, 2022

Source:
https://www.podbean.com/eau/pb-ng289-...

Ting Jin is one of the most important skills in Tai Chi. It is impossible to progress to the highest levels of Tai Chi without it. Joins us and learn more. Part 1 of 2.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ovj_OR5Umv8

Clear's Internal Combat Arts
Aug 5, 2022

Source:
https://www.podbean.com/eau/pb-jj7x6-...

Ting Jin is one of the most important skills in Tai Chi. It is impossible to progress to the highest levels of Tai Chi without it. Joins us and learn more. Part 2 of 2.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pb0wxBM4dqw
marvin8
Wuji

Re: Ting Jin (Listening), Pts. 1 & 2 — Clear Tai Chi

Postby GrahamB on Fri Aug 05, 2022 7:41 am

I'm not listening to somebody talking about listening for 1 hour 25. Who's got time for dat?
One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby origami_itto on Fri Aug 05, 2022 9:42 am

GrahamB wrote:I'm not listening to somebody talking about listening for 1 hour 25. Who's got time for dat?

You are singing the song of my people, my brother!

Last edited by origami_itto on Fri Aug 05, 2022 9:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
The form is the notes, the quan is the music
Atomic Taijiquan|FB|YT|IG|X|
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby marvin8 on Fri Aug 05, 2022 9:47 am

GrahamB wrote:I'm not listening to somebody talking about listening for 1 hour 25. Who's got time for dat?

Not 1 hour 25, it's 3 hours 21 mins. Sorry, I fell asleep. My bad for not listening to enough of it, first. I wanted to delete it, but it's too late.

IMO, it's too vague and not worth listening to. It makes me think they don't know what they're talking about.
marvin8
Wuji

Postby marvin8 on Fri Aug 05, 2022 10:20 am

One video of setups and what to "listen" for.

Ernest Chavez
Nov 13, 2018

Valentina Shevchenko: Foot Sweeps & Trips

Valentina Shevchenko has an insane amounts of Muay Thai fights under her belt. This fact makes people overlook her takedowns (Foot Sweeps and Trips) from clinch. Watch Valentina blend her Muay Thai background with some solid wrestling techniques. One of the best females in MMA to do it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VAmLFV2r-3E
marvin8
Wuji

Postby Bao on Sat Aug 06, 2022 1:09 am

Well, I don’t mind an intellectual discussion as long as people can learn valuable and useful things, stuff and tips they can actually use to enhance their practice. If it becomes a part of marketing and branding, or just a sake of ego and vanity, it tends to miss the mark. I am not sure how rambling subjective, personal experiences could benefit anyone, except for their own egos.

I am sometimes wondering how it would sound if musicians would hold the same kind of discussions. Not even yoga practitioners do this. They do, they practice and the results speak for themselves.

Sometimes the Taiji, IMA and qigong world just feels like a giant nut case.
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby Bao on Sat Aug 06, 2022 10:34 pm

Tom wrote:
Bao wrote:. . . Sometimes the Taiji, IMA and qigong world just feels like a giant nut case.

Only sometimes?

;D

Ha ha! :D

Well, the whole World is obviously totally crazy… so most of the time, Taijiquan makes perfectly sense. ;)
Bao
Great Old One

Postby origami_itto on Sun Aug 07, 2022 4:44 am

Bao wrote:
Tom wrote:
Bao wrote:. . . Sometimes the Taiji, IMA and qigong world just feels like a giant nut case.

Only sometimes?

;D

Ha ha! :D

Well, the whole World is obviously totally crazy… so most of the time, Taijiquan makes perfectly sense. ;)

It's like a granola bar. Get rid of the fruits and nuts and you still got a whole lot of flakes.
The form is the notes, the quan is the music
Atomic Taijiquan|FB|YT|IG|X|
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby Bao on Sun Aug 07, 2022 6:50 am

origami_itto wrote:It's like a granola bar. Get rid of the fruits and nuts and you still got a whole lot of flakes.

That was deep.
Bao
Great Old One

Postby marvin8 on Mon Aug 08, 2022 7:30 am

Similar to Valentina Shevchenko, Greg Nelson demonstrates listening (ting) and control (na).

Kevin Lee
Aug 6, 2022

How Wing Chun Chi Sao Improves Your Muay Thai Clinch | Coach Greg Nelson

Check out today's discussion with Coach Greg Nelson about using Wing Chun into Muay Thai or any close contact situations!

Coach Greg Nelson is one of the top trainers in the world to many UFC champions such as Dave Menne, Sean Sherk, Brock Lesnar and Rose Namajunas.

His extensive training background includes Muay Thai, Jiu Jitsu, Wrestling, Shooto, Kali, JKD, Wing Chun, and much more! Visit the link below for more information about Coach Greg Nelson:
https://theacademymn.com/greg-nelson-...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oN39PXBiBOY

Kevin Lee
July 30, 2022

Create Off Balance in Muay Thai Clinch | Ajarn Greg Nelson

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/j4QcVcqj2jE
marvin8
Wuji

Postby Steve James on Mon Aug 08, 2022 4:27 pm

Isn't it interesting that the least important tool for "listening" -in this context- are the ears. Imo, "to listen" (ting) involves using every other sense (or extra-sense) to know the opponent. Clearly it involves touch -and martial arts/sports disciplines may use touch differently (judo v muay thai). So, ime, transferring touch sensitivity from one form of grappling to another is relatively straightforward because the mechanisms are similar.

I don't think "ting" is unique to cma/tcc, apart from giving it a name, or naming it a 'jin.' There are probably lots of people who are good at it but never heard the term. Tcc -in theory- demands an extremely high level of sensitivity. You know, "a fly or a feather landing on" would set you in motion.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby Quigga on Mon Aug 08, 2022 4:32 pm

Nope, the ears are the most important part in listening

Ears jaws jade pillow spine ming men dantian feet
Quigga

Postby wayne hansen on Mon Aug 08, 2022 11:31 pm

Neither a feather can land
Nor a fly alight
Without setting the body in motion
Don't put power into the form let it naturally arise from the form
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby Bao on Tue Aug 09, 2022 12:44 am

Steve James wrote: I don't think "ting" is unique to cma/tcc, apart from giving it a name, or naming it a 'jin.' There are probably lots of people who are good at it but never heard the term. Tcc -in theory- demands an extremely high level of sensitivity.

First, tingjin is a developed type of skill, which means that you need to practice in certain ways for a certain amount of time. You won’t have it until you have developed it.

In Taijiquan, we practice to not use strength against strength. If you understand how to not offer any resistance and to not let the opponent attach his strength directly against you, you will develop a certain type of sensitivity. If you are hard and use force against force or resistance against force, you cannot achieve what is called tingjin. So what Taijiquan calls tingjin is in fact something developed in Taijiquan specifically and is a consequence of Taijiquan practice. However, I am sure good bjj and shuaijiao practitioners can develop the same type of sensitivity. I am not convinced though that many styles have the right tools and methods to develop it. And I am far from convinced that lots of people are good at it. Even in Taijiquan I’ve only met a handful of people who “get it”.
Bao
Great Old One

Postby marvin8 on Tue Aug 09, 2022 5:02 am

Bao wrote:
Steve James wrote: I don't think "ting" is unique to cma/tcc, apart from giving it a name, or naming it a 'jin.' There are probably lots of people who are good at it but never heard the term. Tcc -in theory- demands an extremely high level of sensitivity.

First, tingjin is a developed type of skill, which means that you need to practice in certain ways for a certain amount of time. You won’t have it until you have developed it.

In Taijiquan, we practice to not use strength against strength. If you understand how to not offer any resistance and to not let the opponent attach his strength directly against you, you will develop a certain type of sensitivity. If you are hard and use force against force or resistance against force, you cannot achieve what is called tingjin. So what Taijiquan calls tingjin is in fact something developed in Taijiquan specifically and is a consequence of Taijiquan practice. However, I am sure good bjj and shuaijiao practitioners can develop the same type of sensitivity. I am not convinced though that many styles have the right tools and methods to develop it. And I am far from convinced that lots of people are good at it. Even in Taijiquan I’ve only met a handful of people who “get it”.

Per Chen Kung (in Tai Chi Sensing Hands), tingjin is listening through the sense of touch. The above videos are examples of listening from the clinch with touch. However, one can listen without requiring touch (e.g., outside of bridging or grappling range), offering no resistance.

If one listens, adheres and sticks to their opponent's energy before making contact, they can defeat their opponent from a superior position—which is often the case in a well-rounded style fighter vs a grappler.
marvin8
Wuji

Next

Return to Video Links