Earwax removal

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

Earwax removal

Postby Bill on Thu May 29, 2008 4:08 pm

O.K. guys, who does what ?
Have any of you ever hurt your ear using a q-tip ?
I know that doctors recomend not to use anything like it. I've used q-tips for years without a problem.
I'm going to start trying to pull down on my earlobe while showering and letting the water clean out the wax ( as I just saw a doctor recommend on tape ). I'll see how well it works. Anybody using this method now ?
It hurts when I Pi
Bill
Great Old One

Re: Earwax removal

Postby shawnsegler on Thu May 29, 2008 4:15 pm

I just use a small paperclip with the small end bent into a loop.

S
I prefer
You behind the wheel
And me the passenger
shawnsegler
Great Old One

Postby Royal Dragon on Thu May 29, 2008 4:36 pm

i don't have an ear wax problem. Although, I wash my ears real good every time I shower and pretty much do what your doctor suggested, so maybe that is why.
Royal Dragon
Great Old One

Postby DeusTrismegistus on Thu May 29, 2008 6:09 pm

Ear wax is there with a reason, I leave it alone unless it starts oozing out of my earholes. If it gets nasty then I just wash it in the shower.
I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a

bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle. -- Winston Churchill
DeusTrismegistus
Wuji

Postby shawnsegler on Thu May 29, 2008 6:20 pm

When I was a kid I used to get lots of ear infections. When I started cleaning them out when I was a teen they stopped and I haven't had one since.

S
I prefer
You behind the wheel
And me the passenger
shawnsegler
Great Old One

Postby Interloper on Thu May 29, 2008 6:46 pm

Warm water from showering usually does a decent job of diluting the wax so it runs out of the ear instead of congealing in the outer ear canal. If you shower every day, probably you won't get wax buildup if you let the water "irrigate" your ear. But I wouldn't turn the ear upward toward the shower head (water could get forced deeper into your middle ear, which you don't want). The idea of just letting it run into the outer canal area by tugging your earlobe down makes sense, but you may not even have to do that in the normal course of showering.

Coincidentally, I was in a Chinese gift/tschotschke shop today and they had a box of "earwax spoons" for a buck apiece. They're like a little bitty scoop for reaching into that hard-to-get-to part of the ear canal where wax can build up. But some people swear by using the loop end of a bobby pin, which is sold by the package in most pharmacy-type stores like Walgreen's and CVS. You use the loop to scrape the wax gently.
Pariah without peer
Interloper
Great Old One

Postby edededed on Thu May 29, 2008 7:13 pm

Ed's Earwax methods:

1. Q-tip - okay for mushy earwax, bad for dry earwax (just sticks it in there further... don't answer telephone calls while Q-tipping yourself)
2. Asian mini-spoon - very nice, just spoon it all out (don't dig too hard; still safer than paperclip end)
3. Spraying water in the ear - well, could be useful to make #1 or #2 easier, but the wax doesn't really fall out of the ear that way in my experience... Good of course for cleaning the outside part of the ear
4. Doctor's "ear plunger" tool - kind of painful, but gets it ALL out (go to your doctor for this)
5. Nothing - if you have mushy earwax, it will become gross after a while; if you have dry earwax, it will eventually either just fall out (in a clump) one day while you are lounging around (and have your head tilted) or else will become a huge, hard ball that you cannot get rid of (without #4)...
edededed
Great Old One

Postby Interloper on Thu May 29, 2008 7:19 pm

Arg! Mushy vs. Crumbly. Takes me back to a grad school anthropology course where I learned that earwax texture is hereditary, and is a traceable trait to the world's various geographic regions. To wit: Asians and Caucasians are more likely to have sticky earwax, while Africans (Sub-Saharan) have a higher frequency of crumbly wax.

Things I did not need to know, but found myself forced to learn. Now I share with you. ;D
Pariah without peer
Interloper
Great Old One

Postby qiphlow on Thu May 29, 2008 7:28 pm

this thread is delicious!
esoteric voodoo wizard
qiphlow
Great Old One

Postby Darth Rock&Roll on Thu May 29, 2008 7:29 pm

do not put q-tips deep into your ear. you stand a good chance of pushing a wax build up further in and the possibility of damage to the riggings and doings of the ear.

ask your doctor or pharmacist about Cerumenex ear drops and there is a variant of mineral spirits you can use as drops to soften and dissolve wax.
You can also ask nicely to have someone use an earwax spoon on you. :-)

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news ... hpick.html
Coconuts. Bananas. Mangos. Rice. Beans. Water. It's good.
Darth Rock&Roll
Great Old One

Postby Interloper on Thu May 29, 2008 7:38 pm

Darth,
When I was in India, I was sitting in a park in New Delhi and saw a professional earwax remover making his rounds. He politely went up to people relaxing in the park, brandished the tools of his trade - sticks and scoops of various shapes - stated his price and went to work whenever someone accepted his services. It's a living.
Pariah without peer
Interloper
Great Old One

Postby Felipe Bidó on Thu May 29, 2008 8:24 pm

HTFU - Hairpin
“Shut up. Your mouth is like my mother’s vagina; just a hole that disappointments come out of.” - Robert Brockway, Cracked.com
Felipe Bidó
Founder

Postby Joe L. on Thu May 29, 2008 9:08 pm

Asian spoon dealy- I've used it for about 3 years now, and swear by it. Best gift I ever stole from an ex.

Nothing feels better than cleaning out a waxed up ear, and in fact, I think I shall do so before bed.
"The harder you train, the harder it is to surrender"
Joe L.
Great Old One

Postby Ian on Thu May 29, 2008 9:27 pm

electric toothbrush. plus lasers. green lasers.
Ian

Postby nready on Thu May 29, 2008 9:28 pm

Interloper wrote:Darth,
When I was in India, I was sitting in a park in New Delhi and saw a professional earwax remover making his rounds. He politely went up to people relaxing in the park, brandished the tools of his trade - sticks and scoops of various shapes - stated his price and went to work whenever someone accepted his services. It's a living.
Now that would bother the hell out of me, someone else digging in my ear. So that said, what other types of profession do they have that I don't ever want to have to say leave me along please now. I mean don't want to sound rude, but heck it sounds like it calls for just that.
nready
Santi

Next

Return to Off the Topic