Why fighting is for defense only - Graphic Video

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

Why fighting is for defense only - Graphic Video

Postby gzregorz on Thu Dec 29, 2022 5:02 am

Exchange Of Words In NYC Leads To A Man Getting His Neck Slashed Assassin Creed Style!

https://worldstarhiphop.com/mobile/web/ ... ents-arena
"There is more wisdom in your body than in your deepest philosophy." - Friedrich Nietzsche
gzregorz
Wuji

Re: Why fighting is for defense only - Graphic Video

Postby Quigga on Fri Dec 30, 2022 2:31 am

The guy who got slashed chose to just keep on walking straight, trying to make everybody else in the group walk around him. That's stupid and yes, even disrespectful. If he would have just taken 1 or 2 steps to either side instead of wanting to dominate those around him, he'd probably still be alive.

The comments on the page are a gold mine too.
Quigga

Postby origami_itto on Fri Dec 30, 2022 8:25 am

Yes I believe firmly the goal of martial arts i combat is to remove the opponent's will or ability to fight. It's helpful to avoid arousing that desire to harm or identify oneself as a good target unless you're intentionally drawing aggro to protect someone else.

Once aroused, quieting it as quickly as possible is the goal, peacefully if possible but with an appropriate level of force if not.

"Maybe you should be careful when flipping a stranger's switch"
The form is the notes, the quan is the music
Atomic Taijiquan|FB|YT|IG|
Twitch
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby yeniseri on Fri Dec 30, 2022 12:37 pm

There are people out there (as we should know by now), who willfully and maliciously believe they have the will and power to dictate their presence (perception, delusion and stupidity0 and no one will even lift a finger to stop them and their "foolishness" That is their first mistake. Jordan Peterson says it succintly: https://thefederalist.com/2018/04/27/jo ... ous-heres/

We forget the ethical base and of course, that is often overlooked. What am I defending? and against whom?
The thug/criminal has no such ethics.
When fascism comes to US America, It will be wrapped in the US flag and waving a cross. An astute patriot
yeniseri
Wuji

Postby origami_itto on Fri Dec 30, 2022 1:28 pm

Okay but Jordan Peterson is about as physically dangerous as a cat fart.
Twitch
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby origami_itto on Fri Dec 30, 2022 1:31 pm

Actually I fear a cat fart more.
Twitch
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby yeniseri on Fri Dec 30, 2022 2:07 pm

origami_itto wrote:Okay but Jordan Peterson is about as physically dangerous as a cat fart.

That is how some people judge and that is the point. Even I do not know anything about Mr Petersons's martial ability so people see what they imagine to be a good man knowing him to be perceptually harmless and then act, not knowing, incapable of recognizing beyond their self delusion. That is the problem.
When fascism comes to US America, It will be wrapped in the US flag and waving a cross. An astute patriot
yeniseri
Wuji

Postby origami_itto on Fri Dec 30, 2022 2:11 pm

yeniseri wrote:
origami_itto wrote:Okay but Jordan Peterson is about as physically dangerous as a cat fart.

That is how some people judge and that is the point. Even I do not know anything about Mr Petersons's martial ability so people see what they imagine to be a good man knowing him to be perceptually harmless and then act, not knowing, incapable of recognizing beyond their self delusion. That is the problem.

He's just a hack, man. I don't know why people keep bringing up his regurgitating platitudes like "clean your room" and "be dangerous" are some kind of insightful breakthrough.

All he has ever done is be rude to people, make shit up, and lie about his credentials, full stop.
Twitch
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby Steve James on Fri Dec 30, 2022 2:13 pm

Well, around where I live, males of a certain age tend to be respectful -at least, they are rarely disrespectful. That's not because they're particularly nice, or nonviolent; it's because they take it seriously. It could be a matter of life and death. Yep, any person can be dangerous.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby wayne hansen on Fri Dec 30, 2022 3:22 pm

It is people like Pedersen who spread disharmony in our society
This is the natural result of alienation
Don't put power into the form let it naturally arise from the form
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby gzregorz on Sat Dec 31, 2022 7:35 pm

Steve James wrote:Well, around where I live, males of a certain age tend to be respectful -at least, they are rarely disrespectful. That's not because they're particularly nice, or nonviolent; it's because they take it seriously. It could be a matter of life and death. Yep, any person can be dangerous.

Agreed! When I deliver in working class areas people treat me better in a lot of ways and I treat them with more respect as well. Whereas in rich neighborhoods I have had people yell and scream in my face because they grew up in a bubble and have no idea what where this could lead to with the wrong person. On the flip side it has made me good at de-escalating confrontations, now I just stay calm and eventually they do if not I just leave the situation and go about my day. Crazy is as crazy does.
Last edited by gzregorz on Sat Dec 31, 2022 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"There is more wisdom in your body than in your deepest philosophy." - Friedrich Nietzsche
gzregorz
Wuji

Postby everything on Sun Jan 01, 2023 12:28 pm

none of this has anything to do with "martial ART". maybe when there were Samurai and other swordsman and no guns, etc., and the freak athletes of the day would not be Lebron James or Messi but Miyamoto Musashi or even Yang Luchan, then you walk around and you say you're stupidly ok with a "duel" until you meet Musashi, then "martial ART" was directly relevant to these scenarios. in this day and age, other than maybe mindfulness and "keeping your shit together", it's fantasy LARP bullshit. wtf is "fighting" even? does it even exist? I saw two middle aged men "fight" in NYC just a few years ago over trash can placement. One guy shoved the other guy down and so "won the fight". Then they both de-escalated (rather wisely) otherwise who knows if one of them would be alive. Of course there are reports of young thugs assaulting or killing middle-aged or elderly Asian people. Is that a "fight"? Of course not. Did they have "self defense" capability? No. Every day in Suburbia, I see even dumber stuff in traffic. My "self defense" is just "extremely defensive driving" skills. I pushed the extreme limits (driving at 10/10) with extremely slow cars enough in my youth to drive well aggressively if needed, but those skills are only for emergency avoid-idiot use now.
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby yeniseri on Sun Jan 01, 2023 4:20 pm

everything wrote:none of this has anything to do with "martial ART". maybe when there were Samurai and other swordsman and no guns, etc., and the freak athletes of the day would not be Lebron James or Messi but Miyamoto Musashi or even Yang Luchan, then you walk around and you say you're stupidly ok with a "duel" until you meet Musashi, then "martial ART" was directly relevant to these scenarios. in this day and age, other than maybe mindfulness and "keeping your shit together", it's fantasy LARP bullshit. wtf is "fighting" even? does it even exist? I saw two middle aged men "fight" in NYC just a few years ago over trash can placement. One guy shoved the other guy down and so "won the fight". Then they both de-escalated (rather wisely) otherwise who knows if one of them would be alive. Of course there are reports of young thugs assaulting or killing middle-aged or elderly Asian people. Is that a "fight"? Of course not. Did they have "self defense" capability? No. Every day in Suburbia, I see even dumber stuff in traffic. My "self defense" is just "extremely defensive driving" skills. I pushed the extreme limits (driving at 10/10) with extremely slow cars enough in my youth to drive well aggressively if needed, but those skills are only for emergency avoid-idiot use now.

Actually, it does have alot to do with martial arts.
One just does not take up martial arts then go out an abuse, attack innocent people for no reason. That is the anthesis of martial skill and purpose ???

The adepts of the past had a base of moral ethics that must preceed and otherwise propel use of self defense against those who maliciously cause mayhem. The young thugs, part of urban lore, is a myth because there are others ladders under which crime is committed that goes for beyond those scenarious, as you know ;D . A recent example is the graduate student (PA, Idaho) who killed 4 students, who imagined he would get away with the crime..and the list is endless

A man who cannot back up his goodwill, compassion and wisdom will get slaughtered by the beasts and thugs of the world ;D
yeniseri
Wuji

Postby everything on Sun Jan 01, 2023 5:06 pm

Taoism advocates for non-violence.

Think I missed the point. Or maybe you missed the point. Not really sure.

The long list of terribly violent murders and so on is usually committed by non-martial artists against other non-martial artists. Maybe that means the MAists had "better awareness", but I doubt it. From reading here, certain idiots on here are "looking to fight".
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby vadaga on Wed Feb 15, 2023 3:05 am

so. just to go back to the OP a bit. I watched that video a couple times and the attacker had the knife in his hand at the point when he walked up to the victim as far as I can tell. The victim didn't notice this.

Seems like a bit of an outlier case according to the below but definitely one never knows so better to de-escalate with people acting strange.

https://lawandcrime.com/crime/nyc-man-caught-driving-slain-doctors-mercedes-charged-with-multiple-murders-during-violent-spree-nypd/
善人和气一团
vadaga
Wuji

Next

Return to Off the Topic