Continuous Training

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Continuous Training

Postby origami_itto on Thu Feb 02, 2023 1:38 pm

I work in tech, so the temptation to get a big comfy chair with a cup rest and sack of chips is real.

At one point at the height of my door dashed butter chicken addiction I was up to 230 lbs. Now I'm back at a lean mean 170 at 5'10".

The single biggest factor I believe is my desk. I invested $500 in this fancy electric desk with a motor and memory buttons that goes from my sitting (in a kneeler chair, of course) to standing position. I find it's much more comfortable to stand for most of the day. Sitting too long and I get pains and sore muscles. Standing the only thing that complains are my legs but they don't get a vote. Everything else feels so much better.

Since I'm standing I put puzzle mats down in my workspace to cushion my tender feets. I put my target bulb off to the right so I can absent mindedly punch it while automation runs or somebody rambles on zoom. My heavy bag is on the other side of the walkway for the occasional punch or kick as I pass.

Sometimes I'll do actual ZZ positions and work. Sometimes I'll do squats. Sometimes knee strikes. It's not really focused or planned, just passing the time with mini practice.
The form is the notes, the quan is the music
Atomic Taijiquan|FB|YT|IG|X|
origami_itto
Wuji

Re: Continuous Training

Postby everything on Thu Feb 02, 2023 7:25 pm

wait, you lost 50 lbs mainly due to having the standing desk? excellent!!! not sure i want to get the standing set up, but i need to find an alternative "automated self" way to stand/walk more if not. only little "hack" is there are some KBs sitting there, so I always want to do a bit of "farmer's walk", but this isn't really enough to lose the 20lbs I want to lose (obv eating is a key, but I mean within the incidental exercise category)
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby origami_itto on Fri Feb 03, 2023 6:08 am

Yeah the weight loss is mainly due to the standing. I didn't change anything else really. Same level of activity. Maybe ate a little less but not intentionally. I was a little worried but it hit 170 and just stayed there.

I did start off with am active seat. Its a cushion on a stick in a ball and socket. It makes you use your core and legs more than lounging and you can use it like a stool for breaks when your legs get tired to work up to full days.

I'm pretty much down to the tiniest little bit of belly, and underneath its like a big rubber ball. Everything else is lean and strong.

I am eating much better the last six months or so, home cooked whole foods from scratch, and i think that's started paying off a little more as far as the fat goes. I was having fast food several times a week and drinking soda. Now black coffee and water with a little mio flavor. Drinking 2-3 beers once a week instead of every night.

Meals take about an hour to prep, which is about how long it takes to get doordash or drive to pick something up. Nothing crazy, just starch veggies and protein.

Point being it isn't a matter of discipline or forcing or getting obsessive about portion control and counting calories. Its just eliminating the garbage and poison every body wants to sell you. I eat whatever I want whenever I'm hungry. Just no garbage that, once you break the habit, you don't even want.

We're working on filling up the yard with food. So far just some peppers and baby pineapples but I've got some baby banana trees that should fruit and started my salsa garden. Have a whole stack of vegetables to plant this spring.

Life is good.
Last edited by origami_itto on Fri Feb 03, 2023 6:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby origami_itto on Fri Feb 03, 2023 9:10 am

Oh and I cannot overstate enough how helpful it is to have something to punch during Zoom meetings.
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby everything on Sat Feb 04, 2023 8:15 pm

How do you get to punch something during Zoom meetings?
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby Giles on Sun Feb 05, 2023 2:09 am

I recently read about a German study that looked at the benefits of working at a standing desk instead of sitting. It is certainly healthier but the main benefit seemed to be for the muscles and fascia: stronger legs, better posture, less back and shoulder pain etc. There was an increase in consumed calories, too, but this was so small as to be almost negligible. When it comes to the degree of weight loss you describe for yourself - which is great, congratulations! - then I'd be fairly sure that it's mainly down to your improved diet. Essentially eating less junk with excess fats and probably eating less as well. Assuming that you haven't increased your general exercise level at the same time.
But whatever the main cause, it's a good development. And cutting weight also greatly benefits your knee joints, which I seem to remember was/is an issue for you.
Last edited by Giles on Sun Feb 05, 2023 2:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Do not make the mistake of giving up the near in order to seek the far.
Giles
Wuji

Postby origami_itto on Sun Feb 05, 2023 5:50 am

everything wrote:How do you get to punch something during Zoom meetings?

I've got a big rubber bulb on a stick with a spring on a hollow base with 100lbs of sand on it. Right next to my desk.
"oh yes boss that's a perfectly reasonable deadline"
*mute*
*pummel pummel thrash*
*unmute*
"Yeah you know we might even have it early!"

Giles, you know i can't call it. Just making small easy changes over time pays off I'm feeling better than ever.
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby everything on Sun Feb 05, 2023 8:26 am

oof. the most annoying manager in my area likes us to be on camera, so i can't imagine this punching routine would go over too well for me. "oh, this is just my incidental exercise, to go along with my standing and treadmill desk"
everything
Wuji

Postby jjy5016 on Thu Mar 16, 2023 5:24 am

I started standing at my desk all day again after a few years of not doing it. At least 8-9 hours 5 days a week. Sometimes longer. Brief rests when helping out someone at his or her desk. Standing all day supposedly only burns 300 or so more calories than sitting. It hasn't affected my weight at all. That said it has had a relaxing effect on my shoulders and upper back. Also prevents me from hunching over the desk. One of the ladies who works for me is standing too now and claims to have benefitted from it.

Reminds me of Yu Cheng Xiang who taught shaolin lohan style and taiji in NYC for quite a while. He told a story of when he worked in China in a sewing factory. Everyone there had the same setup. A sewing machine on a table and a stool to sit on. 14 hour shifts and no one sat because if they did the foreman would say "you must be tired, go home". He advocated standing as much as possible and was a lively as a teenager into his 60's.

I also have a wobble board that I stand on some days. Makes it a bit more challenging.

I haven't experienced any leg pain or discomfort since getting back to the practice about 3 months ago.

Definitely want to have a mat under the footsies or else you might experience some lower back pain as well as sore feet.

Happy Standing.
"I kew evibady. I squeegee him - like dis. STAND me?"
I'm always careful to lift the seat when IP
jjy5016
Great Old One

Postby yeniseri on Sat Mar 18, 2023 10:55 am

Perhaps it is my stage of life (old man sarcopenia and muscle atrophy) and my lesser running, jumping and skipping, etc) baquazhang circle walking only,
gives my upper body a good workout as I feel "less stiff" within the 15-30min 2-3x day 'workout'. A younger person would need a more 'vigorous routine since
the younger person's cardiovascular recuperates earlier than say, someone >65years. That periodic continuous training is one way t increase blood flow and decrease states of hypoxia.

I am sensing that the raised hands with continuous walking, with elements of silk reeling mechanics, stretches the musculature and induces positive feeling of glee ;D
Last edited by yeniseri on Sat Mar 18, 2023 10:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
When fascism comes to US America, It will be wrapped in the US flag and waving a cross. An astute patriot
yeniseri
Wuji

Postby origami_itto on Sat Mar 18, 2023 3:08 pm

yeniseri wrote:Perhaps it is my stage of life (old man sarcopenia and muscle atrophy) and my lesser running, jumping and skipping, etc) baquazhang circle walking only,
gives my upper body a good workout as I feel "less stiff" within the 15-30min 2-3x day 'workout'. A younger person would need a more 'vigorous routine since
the younger person's cardiovascular recuperates earlier than say, someone >65years. That periodic continuous training is one way t increase blood flow and decrease states of hypoxia.

I am sensing that the raised hands with continuous walking, with elements of silk reeling mechanics, stretches the musculature and induces positive feeling of glee ;D

I am probably doing it wrong but I've found circle walking the mother palms to be great for opening the shoulders. Holding the arms out and stepping the weight gently works the joints.
Last edited by origami_itto on Sat Mar 18, 2023 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby everything on Sun Mar 19, 2023 9:16 am

probably doing it wrong as well, but agree. plus doing modified baduanjin on the bow/arrow move. quite good.
everything
Wuji

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan