For guys who like horror movies...

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

For guys who like horror movies...

Postby Josealb on Sun Jun 01, 2008 5:09 pm

You should REALLY get a hold on a copy of Rec. Its a spanish zombie type movie, with a whopper of a plot that they feed you right in the end.

I thought oh cool zombies. Blood and gore and biting. Well, heres the thing....its not that gorey, and not that bloody or graphic (like japanese torture scenes or hostel like movies)...but, im fuckin scared of turning off the lights.

Scariest scenes ive seen, ever.
Last edited by Josealb on Sun Jun 01, 2008 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Man carcass in alley this morning...
Josealb
Great Old One

Re: For guys who like horror movies...

Postby Felipe Bidó on Sun Jun 01, 2008 5:30 pm

The Hollywood remake ("Quarantine") is out in October. I bet it will suck
“Shut up. Your mouth is like my mother’s vagina; just a hole that disappointments come out of.” - Robert Brockway, Cracked.com
Felipe Bidó
Founder

Postby Josealb on Sun Jun 01, 2008 5:36 pm

It will be like doing a remake of The Untouchables. Not kidding.
Josealb
Great Old One

Postby Josealb on Sun Jun 01, 2008 5:37 pm

And felipe, stay away from spoilers.
Josealb
Great Old One

Postby Buddy on Sun Jun 01, 2008 7:24 pm

Jose,
I'll have to check it out. My wife LOVES zombie flicks. Is it subtitled?
Buddy
Great Old One

Postby Josealb on Sun Jun 01, 2008 8:26 pm

I found some english subs for it, just in case (those spanish accents can be a bit strong). I found them fairly easy on
http://subscene.com.

Buddy, your wife is in for a trip. No pun intended.
Josealb
Great Old One

Postby jwalker on Mon Jun 02, 2008 1:50 am

Good stuff, as soon as you said this: "its not that gorey, and not that bloody or graphic (like japanese torture scenes or hostel like movies)...but, im fuckin scared of turning off the lights."

I want to check it out. I refuse to watch hostel, I turned off the Hills have Eyes, these films are not scary, they are revolting.

True horror is all in the atmosphere, what scares us most is what we can't see etc.

Can anybody else recommend scary as hell horror films with good atmosphere? I thought Wolf Creek was good in this respect, I was pleasantly suprised by Silent Hill in this way, the original Ring, and (for me at least) the Blair Witch Project. A damn good horror is probably my faourite type of movie, so if any one has more recommendaitons please let me know!
"It is statisticly possible to attack someone with your machete." - John Wang
jwalker
Great Old One

Postby Michael on Mon Jun 02, 2008 4:18 am

I suggest checking out the Film Recommendations thread started by cinema connoisseur, Sir Ian Rooskey M.A., of the celebrated Hong Kong Rooskey's.

PS—Taiji rulez!
Michael

Postby Darthwing Teorist on Mon Jun 02, 2008 2:56 pm

Sounds good. Thanks Jose for the suggestion. I am not too much into horror, but sometimes I enjoy a good movie. This reminds me that I still have to watch 28 Weeks Later.
И ам тхе террор тхат флапс ин тхе нигхт! И ам тхе црамп тхат руинс ёур форм! И ам... ДАРКWИНГ ДУЦК!
Darthwing Teorist
Great Old One

Postby Michael Babin on Mon Jun 02, 2008 4:27 pm

I was pleasantly surprised by The Mist and recommend it for its effective use of atmosphere and "what's gonna happen" although it also has its gore moments and not a terrible amount of originality. However, it did have an attempt at character development in the main protagonists which was nice as was the twist ending that I did not see coming. It was also a nice change that they didn't obviously set up a potential sequel instead of ending it.

I don't recommend Diary of The Dead unless you are fond of the kind of "video-reality" shooting that has crept into some movies thanks to the modern obsession with cellphones and hand-held cameras. Main characters you are happy to see die, for the most part, and only one scene was interesting in the sense that you don't often get an angry Amish blowing up zombies to cheer for ...
My Website [with a link to my Youtube Channel] https://sites.google.com/view/mbtaiji/home
Michael Babin
Wuji

Postby Josealb on Mon Jun 02, 2008 7:52 pm

Diary of the Dead....ugh....Romero went with a whimper on that one, instead of a bang. Poor acting, weak plot, and as far as video reality type aka blair witch camera, it had NO reality effect. They kept editing and putting in cheesy slow motion scenes, all the while the most annoying narrator kept talking about "documenting the truth of what happened". If it happened and the truth is there for people to see....then it had a happy ending, right? So much for apocalyptic fiction.

Im a huge zombe fan and all im saying is this....Romero, up yours for messing that one up.
Josealb
Great Old One

Postby Buddy on Mon Jun 02, 2008 8:49 pm

Here's how low my wife will stoop:

She watched Buddy C.H.U.D. today on Fear.net. Fortunately she hated it. Everything else mentioned she loved. But hey, she's a great cook and loves the Stooges and can drink and curse like a sailor. What more could a guy want? 8-)
Buddy
Great Old One

Postby Felipe Bidó on Mon Jun 02, 2008 9:14 pm

After Jose's recommendation, a friend of ours (Stavil) who loves gore and crude scenes (He loves to watch autopsy videos, and is a fan of rotten.com) told me: "dude, that movie (REC) was too much, I don't want to remember"...

I still haven't seen it...but I'm scare already ;D
“Shut up. Your mouth is like my mother’s vagina; just a hole that disappointments come out of.” - Robert Brockway, Cracked.com
Felipe Bidó
Founder

Postby meeks on Mon Jun 02, 2008 10:35 pm

I always enjoyed Hellraiser 2 (Clive Barker). Anything Clive Barker writes is gold in my book - too bad Hollywood buys the rights to the movies and screws them all up.

The Thing, remade in the 80s freaked the bejeezus outta me...the scene where the head grows spider legs...dayum!

American werewolf in London, apart from its humorous balance was a good horror movie. In fact there were a couple of good werewolf movies that as a kid scared me by the suspense alone without needing gore. Speaking of which, silence of the lambs had me riveted to my seat based on its storyline alone. Blair Witch Project was a damn good thriller - the scene at the end where dude is facing the corner in the basement went through me like ice, just thinking about what that represented.

Alien and Alien 2 - nuff said.

just about any japanese horror - those guys are masters of creepy shit (!)

jaws 1 scared the crap outta me as a kid...anytime they were inspecting the boat in the water at night time...argh.

the exorcist (except the 2nd one which might as well have been a bad drama) - even as an adult it creeped me the hell out. I've got the director's uncut version... oh...my...god.... THAT version turned my stomach.

hostel? I could eat pizza and watch that no problem although it was a tad disturbing...
"The power of Christ compels you!" *spank*
now with ADDED SMOOTHOSITY! ;D
meeks
Administrator

Postby Ian on Tue Jun 03, 2008 12:48 am

Damn I am so watching this film. I hope it's as good as everyone says it is.

meeks wrote:Blair Witch Project was a damn good thriller - the scene at the end where dude is facing the corner in the basement went through me like ice, just thinking about what that represented.

People area always going on about the ending of BWP. I watched it but don't remember that scene at all. What happens?

jaws 1 scared the crap outta me as a kid...anytime they were inspecting the boat in the water at night time...argh.

Where the head pops out of the hull, right? My friend screamed like a girl. haha
We watched Jaws before taking a 40 minute swim in the ocean just to set the mood.
Ian

Next

Return to Off the Topic