When do you Make The Decision?

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

When do you Make The Decision?

Postby Darthwing Teorist on Wed Jun 04, 2008 9:39 am

The following thread viewtopic.php?f=7&t=505 reminded me of something from two weeks ago.

I was driving on a fast lane (southbound Papineau, north of the 40 - for those familiar with Montreal). At a light I noticed something in my rearview mirror: the taxi driver behind me was pinching the chick of the person next to him and shaking his head. I quickly realized that this must be an authorized taxi for handicapped people. I kept looking and the taxi driver was saying something to his passenger but also he was sometimes slightly slapping his on the cheek.

The passenger didn't seem to enjoy the treatment. I felt my adrenaline level increase as I considered stopping the car and facing the driver behind me or calling the police. However, I decided to keep watching to see what was going on. After a while, I did not feel so sure that I should stop. The scene seemed less offensive than at first sight. It looked like the driver was explaining something to his passenger or trying to encourage him to do something in a rough manner. I am not sure that it was abuse and since the scene was just below some unconscious limit that I have for witnessing abuse, I decided that doing something rash may make things worse: get a person accused of something he may not have done based on circumstantial evidence.

I made a mental note of this and left but I kept pondering when would I intervene if I witness something? As most of us know, situations are rarely black and white, so there is a lot of confusion as to what goes on. Also, my personality dictates me to wait and appraise a situation before being sure that I REALLY need to step in.
И ам тхе террор тхат флапс ин тхе нигхт! И ам тхе црамп тхат руинс ёур форм! И ам... ДАРКWИНГ ДУЦК!
Darthwing Teorist
Great Old One

Re: When do you Make The Decision?

Postby Michael on Wed Jun 04, 2008 10:03 am

Sometimes I wonder if cops ever feel very weird driving around, thinking they're supposed to involve themselves in the lives of strangers without any special knowledge of what has transpired before they arrived or what people's true intentions are.
Last edited by Michael on Sun May 20, 2018 8:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Michael

Postby bigphatwong on Wed Jun 04, 2008 4:01 pm

Usually when the guy swings at me and tries to take my head off is as good a time as any...
NOBODY gets near Yung when Tanaka's around. That's for shit sure.
bigphatwong
Great Old One

Postby Darthwing Teorist on Thu Jun 05, 2008 7:24 am

bigphatwong wrote:Usually when the guy swings at me and tries to take my head off is as good a time as any...

That's true. But I try to stay out of that kind of thing.
И ам тхе террор тхат флапс ин тхе нигхт! И ам тхе црамп тхат руинс ёур форм! И ам... ДАРКWИНГ ДУЦК!
Darthwing Teorist
Great Old One

Postby Josealb on Thu Jun 05, 2008 8:36 am

Reminds me of a story a friend told me about a friend of his. He basically walked by a guy talking shit and pushing this girl, and really letting her know how stupid and wrong she is, and eventually he hit her. Well, Mr. friend of a friend jumped between them with his shiny armor and smacked the guy flat in the face (a punch, really).....and guess what? next thing he felt was the broomstick swing of the good woman aimed at his head.

Lifes a bitch that way. And it carries a broomstick sometimes.
Man carcass in alley this morning...
Josealb
Great Old One

Postby dragontigerpalm on Thu Jun 05, 2008 10:50 am

Josealb wrote:Reminds me of a story a friend told me about a friend of his. He basically walked by a guy talking shit and pushing this girl, and really letting her know how stupid and wrong she is, and eventually he hit her. Well, Mr. friend of a friend jumped between them with his shiny armor and smacked the guy flat in the face (a punch, really).....and guess what? next thing he felt was the broomstick swing of the good woman aimed at his head.

Lifes a bitch that way. And it carries a broomstick sometimes.

Whenever I encounter a spat between a guy and a girl I always go up to them and take the girl aside and ask if she's ok or if she needs help. If she tells me she's not by words or body language then the guy goes out the door.
The more you sweat in peacetime, the less you bleed during War.
dragontigerpalm
Wuji

Postby Darthwing Teorist on Thu Jun 05, 2008 11:34 am

Yeah, getting into the middle of conjugal violence incident only to be jumped on by the woman is a big law enforcement classic.
Darthwing Teorist
Great Old One

Return to Off the Topic