Obama: Historical Nomination

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

Re: Obama: Historical Nomination

Postby MikeC on Thu Jun 05, 2008 9:55 am

TaoJoannes wrote:Tiger plays golf.

Man, they DO all look alike to you, huh?

Wasn't my intent at all. But a shame that your mind is in the gutter like that. Not unexpected though
:-\
MikeC

Postby steelincotton on Thu Jun 05, 2008 11:01 am

MikeC wrote:Ok, congrats Obama! Go get 'em Tiger!

Feel better steel?

Kewl. See that. We are bridging the divides as we speak. :)

Now, I'll say something nice about John McCain.... Out of all the reps running for president, I liked him and Ron Paul the best! More bridgework right there. :) Imagine what we could accomplish in this country if the dems/reps could put aside all the crap, and just start getting stuff done for America? What a country we could be.
Last edited by steelincotton on Thu Jun 05, 2008 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
steelincotton
Huajing

Postby Dmitri on Thu Jun 05, 2008 11:17 am

Wow... How the same person can like both Ron Paul and McCain is incomprehensible to me. :-X They are almost complete opposites.
Dmitri
Great Old One

Postby MikeC on Thu Jun 05, 2008 11:49 am

It's called pandering
MikeC

Postby steelincotton on Thu Jun 05, 2008 12:29 pm

Dmitri wrote:Wow... How the same person can like both Ron Paul and McCain is incomprehensible to me. :-X They are almost complete opposites.

nah, it's not pandering. D, it's not that I said I liked McCain, I said out of the choices from the republicans running that I liked him and Ron Paul, with Opie in the third spot. If i go from the worse to the best republicans i would go from (in other words, they all suck, but some make my skin crawl more than others):

Mitt Romney - THE WORST PHONY OF THEM ALL
Rudy G - Horrible man, truly stands for nothing, and is hated by many in NYC.
Duncan Hunter - Uhm, his personality is liking watching paint dry, and he gives me the creeps!
Tancredo - Racist who hates all things Mexican, his entire platorm was about keeping Mexicans out of the USA.
Brownback - don't even know who he was - I suppose I didn't miss much either.
Fred Thomson - an actor, and another one with the personality of a dial-tone (dont say Reagan because he sukked too)
Mike Hucklebee - I loved him on the Andy Griffith show, but hey, at least he plays bass in a rock band and lost 100lbs; Huck is more likeable than all of the above by far!!
John McCain - might have been a maverick 20 years ago, but became a Bush shill for the last eight years. Former playboy and was tortured, so I give him some respect for his past.
Ron Paul - the guy who made the most sense to me as a liberal democrat. Too bad Ron Paul wouldn't leave his corrupt and immoral republican party. Still, he was no 1. in my book, so McCain got #2. But, truth be told, If Huckleberry wasn't a religious nut, he would have been my number 2 man on the right wingnut side of the aisle. ;D :D
Last edited by steelincotton on Thu Jun 05, 2008 12:34 pm, edited 4 times in total.
steelincotton
Huajing

Postby MikeC on Thu Jun 05, 2008 2:48 pm

Well, I'm glad to hear you like McCain so much, being as you'll be seeing a lot of him over the next four years.
;)
MikeC

Postby Buddy on Thu Jun 05, 2008 6:40 pm

"Even Buddy, who wants McCain, at least gives the man that much!"

I'm not for McCain, he's a Democrat as far as I'm concerned. I'm voting straight LP for the the 5th election in a row.

That said, I don't think, by any means, that criticism of Mr. Wright is racism. I think he has much to be criticized for. Don't we want to (and doesn't Mr. Obama claim to represent) have a greater understanding and respect for each other, regardless of our differing race, creed, or political beliefs? I don't think Mr. Wright represents this at all.
And while I think Sen. Obama left his church and criticized his former pastor out of political expediency, I'm willing, at least for now, and until shown otherwise, take him at his word.
Last edited by Buddy on Thu Jun 05, 2008 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Buddy
Great Old One

Postby Michael on Thu Jun 05, 2008 7:20 pm

A couple of weeks ago, Keith Olberman responded to Hillary Clinton's remarks about the possible assassination of Barack Obama in the context of Bobby Kennedy having been assassinated late in the primary process in 1968.

Some commentary on Info Wars with another very short clip from Fox News guest, Trotta, former New York bureau chief of the Washington Times, also (jokingly?) calling for the assassination of Obama and Osama.

It's absolutely reprehensible that these comments were made, but I'm afraid the fat lady is just beginning to sing.
Last edited by Michael on Thu Jun 05, 2008 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Michael

Postby Steve James on Thu Jun 05, 2008 7:27 pm

Michael wrote:It's absolutely reprehensible that these comments were made, but I'm afraid the fat lady is just beginning to sing.

Who or what, iyo, is "the fat lady"?
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby Michael on Thu Jun 05, 2008 7:41 pm

Remember the TV show Dallas? The main character was a lying, cheating, S.O.B. named J.R. Ewing and his catchphrase was, "The opera's not over until the fat lady sings." You were probably having fun in France or Switzerland when the show was popular in the States, or simply weren't into prime time soap opera.

I tend to think that Hillary has been selected as the next President, so until the staged opera of the US electoral process plays out more fully, I think Hillary is the "fat lady" who has not finished singing.
Michael

Postby Steve James on Thu Jun 05, 2008 7:49 pm

"Olbermann’s fury is justified but, as Kurt Nimmo points out, this goes deeper than a mere faux pas on behalf of Hillary. In reality, political crime families kill the opposition and the Clintons are notorious for having their adversaries "taken care of".

Several high profile public figures have warned that Obama may be the target of an assassination attempt before he is able to occupy the White House.

Appearing on The Alex Jones Show last month, former Minnesota Governor Jesse Ventura warned that Obama could be in the crosshairs.

"I believe very strongly that if an independent candidate like myself - a rogue - were to get into the President’s race legitimately, if the polls looked like he had a chance to win, I believe that candidate would either be physically assassinated or would be assassinated credibility-wise or in some manner by our government because I do not believe they would ever allow a true independent or a citizen to become President of the United States," said Ventura.

"I say this in all seriousness - watch out Barack Obama," he added.

British Nobel Prize winner Doris Lessing said Obama would be taken out if he became President in February.

"He would probably not last long, a black man in the position of president. They would kill him," Lessing told a Swedish newspaper."

+++
It'd be too easy to write the screenplay for this, down to who the assassin would be --or would not be. Of course, everywhere else in the world, the response would be "See, Wright was right about America." Inside the US, a person would be called a racist for suggesting that it was the continued existence of racism. Shucks, people are even predicting it --of course, only as a hypothetical or as a joke ... wink, wink. Some people would say that, in a civilized society, this wouldn't even come up. Here, it's expected. Yep, a great representation of "truth, justice and the American way."
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby Steve James on Thu Jun 05, 2008 7:54 pm

Michael wrote:Remember the TV show Dallas? The main character was a lying, cheating, S.O.B. named J.R. Ewing and his catchphrase was, "The opera's not over until the fat lady sings." You were probably having fun in France or Switzerland when the show was popular in the States, or simply weren't into prime time soap opera.

I tend to think that Hillary has been selected as the next President, so until the staged opera of the US electoral process plays out more fully, I think Hillary is the "fat lady" who has not finished singing.

Naw, I didn't watch Dallas; I still don't know who shot JR. I can name some real people who were shot in my time, though. But, re Hillary, she has already conceded that she will formally concede and endore Obama tomorrow or Saturday. She can't be considered for the VPresidency as long as she campaigns for the top spot. It is absolutely true, however, that something may yet happen to a candidate. They all might die. We all might die.
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby steelincotton on Fri Jun 06, 2008 7:46 am

Personally, I don't understand why some republicans or moderate right wingers think that McCain is too much like a democrat. It doesn't make much sense to me, but then again, nothing short of liberalism does for me. The way I see it, McCain is extremely conservative on 95% of the issues.... As I understand the majority of his positions, this is what he stands for:

- Keeping the invasion of Iraq going for as long as possible, or as he put it, "until we win" - but even if that's a possibility, he wants to keep "some" troops over there indefinitely (100 years if that's what it takes he said).
- Roe vs Wade overturned (very right wing/evangelical position against abortion) - Don't think he will get many of Hillary's supporters with this one.
- Keep the tax cuts permanent for the wealthiest people (folks who make OVER $250,000 per year), AND the super utlra rich elites, and multi-billion dollar corporations. (like these folks need the breaks)
- Privatized Social Security (another big one for the conservatives; give your $$ to Wall Street - How Bush can you get?)
- Anti-universal/socialized health care (wants to give corporations even more profit, so we can pay for it ourselves)
- More No Child Left Behind nonsense, which has already been outed as an economic/social policy failure.

On the environment/green issue, even the Bush cabinet is getting hip to that, so I wouldn't call that a left/right issue.
Last edited by steelincotton on Fri Jun 06, 2008 7:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
steelincotton
Huajing

Previous

Return to Off the Topic